Thoughts on Canadian players getting Kazakh citizenships?

takesthebiscuit96

Aug 8, 2019
Thoughts on Canadian players getting Kazakh citizenships? According to Kazakh sources, Valk and Blacker (Barys Nur-Sultan), two Canadians with pro-league experience in the US/CANADA, have applied for Kazakh citizenship (following in the steps of Dawes and Bochenski). On one hand, I think it's a fun way for players to get an international experience when they otherwise wouldn't.... but of course, there is something questionable about a national team being bolstered by international talent that isn't actually from that country. Which side of the debate do other fall down on?

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
If more international success for Kazakhstan means more people there start playing the game, then I'm all for it. Even if a fully Kazakh team is preferable, I enjoy them in the higher stages of hockey regardless.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think it's not terrible as long as the nation is making an actual effort to grow the players domestically who are just as good because at this point their competition for a spot in the elite is mostly the nations that don't. So it's fine. Korea, GB or even Italy over Kazakhstan in the elite shouldn't happen.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
See Qatar team in Handball.

This Canadian boys live some years in Kahachstan. Maybe they already have a family there. And when they play for their new country, they could play in WCH or even Olympics. What is simply impossible, if they will stay on Canadian citizenship.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Thoughts on Canadian players getting Kazakh citizenships? According to Kazakh sources, Valk and Blacker (Barys Nur-Sultan), two Canadians with pro-league experience in the US/CANADA, have applied for Kazakh citizenship (following in the steps of Dawes and Bochenski). On one hand, I think it's a fun way for players to get an international experience when they otherwise wouldn't.... but of course, there is something questionable about a national team being bolstered by international talent that isn't actually from that country. Which side of the debate do other fall down on?
There are rules for this. As long as they are not broken, it is what it is. Barys has a history of enticing Canadians with a welcoming atmosphere. Nur-Sultan is also a nice city to live in. I don't see a big deal here. Also Kazachstan is not the only nation doing it.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
If more international success for Kazakhstan means more people there start playing the game, then I'm all for it. Even if a fully Kazakh team is preferable, I enjoy them in the higher stages of hockey regardless.

It's not going to happen, ice hockey is not at all a part of the local culture and I don't think any moderate success can change that.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
It's not going to happen, ice hockey is not at all a part of the local culture and I don't think any moderate success can change that.
I believe hockey has room to grow in most current markets, including Kazakhstan. Naturally improvements of the national team alone does not result in much. It's just one of many things that can make things happen. Like already stated in this thread, actually growing the game domestically is the most important thing. But having foreigners in the national team does not discourage this.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's my impression that most people following hockey are more interested in how Russia is doing anyway so that the Kazakh national team's success is rather irrelevant. They can have a full team of Canadians and it doesn't really change anything one way or another.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
It's my impression that most people following hockey are more interested in how Russia is doing anyway so that the Kazakh national team's success is rather irrelevant. They can have a full team of Canadians and it doesn't really change anything one way or another.
That's not really true

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
See Qatar team in Handball.

This Canadian boys live some years in Kahachstan. Maybe they already have a family there. And when they play for their new country, they could play in WCH or even Olympics. What is simply impossible, if they will stay on Canadian citizenship.

No. They are canadian/american/swedish mercenaries

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ethnic Kazakhs are rather into horse racing and combat sports, it's what they have tradition in. Hockey is just a Russian import not related to their culture. Typically there's one Kazakh player in the national team as a mascot for political reasons, this year they had two which is the most they ever had.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Ethnic Kazakhs are rather into horse racing and combat sports, it's what they have tradition in. Hockey is just a Russian import not related to their culture. Typically there's one Kazakh player in the national team as a mascot for political reasons, this year they had two which is the most they ever had.
You made a sound point but now you are going slightly overboard. They didn't need to have ethnic players for political reasons, Zhailauov was one of the best players on the team for years. And as the interest in hockey between Kazakh population is increasing (it's the only "global" sport they play at a decent level) you see more and more ethnic players come through the ranks: Asetov, Daniyar bros, Gatiyatov, Guseinov.

One could have said hockey was the sport of the Russian minority in the Baltics as well 30 years ago but now we got to the point where there are hardly any guys with Russian surnames on the Latvian team, a sharp decline on Lithuanian and Estonian ones. After the fall of Soviet Union 1) Russians as a minority (in a real sense) are way less a thing; 2) the ethnic population embraces it. And the more successful it is, the more ethnic population does it.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Well ten years ago yes, but now he's not anywhere near KHL level anymore and wouldn't have been reinstated if he wasn't Kazakh. The Astana MHL team gives opportunities to these kids, but so far hardly anyone has made it in the end.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Well ten years ago yes, but now he's not anywhere near KHL level anymore and wouldn't have been reinstated if he wasn't Kazakh.
I don't know, this theory just threads water, in my opinion. After all, they did play with 0 Kazakh players in 2017 so it doesn't seem like they consider having those a necessity. Secondly, Zhailauov had a really good season last year and there were 7 other players from VHL/Kazakh league. Maybe there is a slight bias in his favor in 50/50 situation but it's not like somebody was really snubbed just to make him a spot.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It was a home tournament this year so there was more media coverage, having a recognizable poster boy that can speak the native language creates better optics than any alternative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad