Thoughts on Borgstrom

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Wanted to get your thoughts on Borgstrom. Seems like there is this idea out there that he has not been given a fair opportunity this season with the low minuttes/game he has been played.

My take? He showed this season he still needed more time developing in the AHL. For all his wonderful stickhandling and high hockey IQ, he still needs to become physically stronger, improve his stamina and skating, improve on faceoffs and defensively.

To me, his low minutes/game is due to the above deficiencies and not due to being “mismanaged” or not being put in a situation to succeed.

Thoughts? Do you still want him as the 3rd line center next season if he doesn’t improve in the offseason?

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
He said last night during the post game interview with Randy that he needs to get stronger in the off season.

This was his first full season in the league. Panthers need to roll a minimum of three scoring lines next season so yes, I think he should be the third line center next year.

Reactions: danktopshelf

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Strength. Skating. Speed. Do that homework and be the 3rd line center next year and maybe 2nd line in later years.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
In limited flashes he shows both immense potential and rookie mistakes. Another offseason to train with will make a marked improvement for Borg. His thinking and positioning in the offensive end is elite, like most young guys he needs work in his own end.

Reactions: RainingRats

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think he looks more useful on the ice than the bench, but yes- he needs to do what Huby did. As do the rest of the rooks.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Thanks for the input guys. I think primarily he needs to work on his strength/stamina. Hubby was similarly skinny and not such a great skater... while still not a great skater he is now much stronger and tough to knock off the puck... if Borg can achieve at least that I think it will make a tremendous difference with his other assets. On the plus side, his skating is not terrible IMO just needs to get a little faster.

Reactions: RainingRats

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
He said last night during the post game interview with Randy that he needs to get stronger in the off season.

This was his first full season in the league. Panthers need to roll a minimum of three scoring lines next season so yes, I think he should be the third line center next year.

Not first full season yet. He was called up in December.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Not first full season yet. He was called up in December.
Should've called up everyone there was to get called up at that point...no use now, he's shown more than enough to feel the utmost confidence in him anyway, Borgy.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I wonder how he would look on Barky's line. He isnt physical along the boards, but his stick work is excellent, and he seems to be good at controlling the puck in close quarters. Its just a thought.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I wonder how he would look on Barky's line. He isnt physical along the boards, but his stick work is excellent, and he seems to be good at controlling the puck in close quarters. Its just a thought.
not a fit at this time, imo. not strong enough down low, hasn't shown he can play the cycle well, dads is too good of a fit to make a change. maybe in a year if he gets a lot stronger but do we want to move him to the wing? he could be a good C.

Reactions: I am not exposed

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
not a fit at this time, imo. not strong enough down low, hasn't shown he can play the cycle well, dads is too good of a fit to make a change. maybe in a year if he gets a lot stronger but do we want to move him to the wing? he could be a good C.

I agree, it was just a thought. Im curious to know what they will do if they sign Panarin. Like you said, Dads is too good a fit for that line, and I think you have to have Huby and Barkov play together. Those two seem to be born to play on the same line.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He's very skilled. He's also behind in development because of late puberty, so things will take time. Panthers have been patient with him and should continue to be.

What I found funny was how he was clearly aping Barkov with stick checking and stuff later in the season. That's a good player to look up to.

Reactions: klabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad