Thoughts on Bob Hartley

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
How do you Flames fans feel about Hartley? Two years ago him and Therrien were considered two of the best options. Long story short most Habs fans hate Therrien now, so I'm wondering how Hartley would've been.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well you no like da one ting I say about like Artley is like you doan need to like worry about da effort from da team like any time. He can like get da boys playing ard an you no like wen dat happen like its anyone's game.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I really like Hartley. You always here stories of how hard he works. 1st one there, last to leave. He is a little hard on youngsters but it usually works. The one problem is he never keeps lines for more than 3 games

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Give credit where credit is due: he has everyone buying into the system this season (unlike last season). Questionable roster moves when players are struggling, at least earlier on. He's mellowed out now.

I still expect him to be gone next season. He was Feaster's guy, and a new GM will probably have his own coach in mind.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Best moment of the season so far:

l8ALQKX.gif

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't mind him. He's getting the best out of the young guys, but I wish he played a more balanced style game, or defensive. I've never been fond of the offensive systems.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't mind him. He's getting the best out of the young guys, but I wish he played a more balanced style game, or defensive. I've never been fond of the offensive systems.

Since the beginning of the season, he's built a really impressive defensive structure into this team. That stretch of games where we got shutout 4 out of 5 games, most of those games we gave up only 1 or 2. I've definitely noticed an improvement in the defensive game since the beginning of the year.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I didn't like the hire but he has really won me over. The reason why the Flames are in 26th place is because they have vastly over achieved. And a lot of that is on Hartley.

Hard working, tough, exiting hockey for the most part. I can see the Flames starting to become the team that I want them to be. A teams that other teams hate to play against. Give him at least one more year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's hard to find coaches that players will consistently work hard for. He's been particularly effective since Feaster was fired.

Well, aside from that stretch of seven or so games where they were shutout in five of them.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I liked him even when things were looking dismal last season. This year's team looks even worse on paper and somehow he's gotten everyone buying into his system and games are still exciting to watch.

I hope he's kept on board. I'd like to see what he can do with a half decent team.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Agreed with Stewie. Burke said he would let him at least finish the season, but I think if Burke considers the on ice results (in terms of players work ethic, the system, etc), Hartley & co. will stay on beyond the off season, new GM or not.

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013
I think whoever the new GM is, they'll probably think awfully hard about keeping Hartley. Hartley not only really changed the team's work ethic around, but also how the media views the Flames. You usually hear as many positive comments about the Flames in one National broadcast game, then you would in two or three seasons.

There's even precedent what with Murray in Buffalo offering Ted Nolan an extension.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Think he'll be around for another year but I wouldn't want him coaching a contending team. Really no system, everybody up and everybody back. He has made watching the rebuild entertaining but the team is worse overall, even before Iggy, Jbow and Kipper were gone.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He has done very well, last season not withstanding, the Flames are no longer a country club. The open style system is great to watch after 3 seasons of lose by one goal Sutter hockey. Hope he's here next year, he and Burke have the team trending positively(at least among fans) for the first time in a while.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
At first I was pissed off at Hartely for some of his favoritism (ie, Berra + Colborne). Looking at the numbers, he's developing our young players perfectly.

Stajan, Jones, Glencross, Giordano, and Brodie are playing against the toughest opposition players. They're also getting mostly defensive zone starts. Next you have Cammy, Backlund, Galiardi, Stempniak, SMid, Butler, and Bouma.

Whereas Monahan, Baertschi, Colborne, Wideman, Russel, Hudler and Byron are getting the easy roles - consistng of offensive zone starts against weak competitors. Then you look at who's getting the most ice time. The guys playig against tough competitors are obviously rewarded (except Russel, Wideman, and Hudler are eating a lot of minutes), whereas the Monahan and Colborne are being managed very well with healthy minutes for rookie guys.

What else has he done?

The Flames are 25th in GA/G, while being 29th in Goals per game. The GA/G is remarkable since our goalies were pretty much rookies themselves. And the goals for seem too low give the scoring chances we see on the ice. The Flames don't shoot the puck though. They're ranked 28th in shots for amongst all teams. However, they're ranked the 10th best team in the league for Shots against.

A lot of 26th in Power Play %, while being 20th in PK%. We're ranked 5th among all teams in blocked shots, while being 22nd in hits. We're still crappy in face-offs, since FLames are ranked 29th. But we improved in shoot-outs and are now ranked 14th. The Flames are also ranked 14th in reported man-games lost (injuries).

References:

http://www.mangameslost.com/nhl-man-games-lost-chip-tmitt-march-4-2014/
http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...shootoutGamesWon&viewName=shootoutTeamSummary
http://www.hockeyabstract.com/playerusagecharts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad