Thoughts on Benning?

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
he's still got time to figure it out.. gudbranson is 25 and bad.. I still do think Benning has been a lot better since vancouver has committed to a rebuild though

Well Benning just gave him a one year show me contract at a great cap hit so I guess we will just have to see how "bad" he is. Hopefully he proves all the "experts" wrong.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Benning isn't good, but a majority of the blame for the current state of the Canucks lies with Aquellini. He was too cheap to buy out the guys Benning wants to replace on the scouting staff, so Benning has quite a few guys left who are just lame ducks whose opinion he doesn't value. I also think the no rebuild talk is a mandate from ownership. I don't think Benning is good, and his mistake may be taking a GM job where he can't make radical changes but the dysfunction starts at the top.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Really bad GM and a terrible judge of talent. He's about as dumb as a GM can be.

embryoniccrusadah

Nov 3, 2011
29 other gms and your asking about jim benning ?

May I ask why you are asking this ? Seems like another thread to launch insults at benning.

He's been media friendly ever since he got here.

When ownership doesent get in the way he's done a fine job. Rebuild started 1 year late, (should have been 2015 instead of 2016) he's doing the noble thing by not trading the Sedins because they want to retire here.

Got max value out of Hansen and burrows trades. He also came off one of the franchise best drafts since 2004.

All in all I'm ok with him.

This is a forum about hockey. I'm asking a question about the general manager of my hometown team. Is that a good enough reason for you my lord?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So he's been more routine/normal since the deadline and suddenly he's not that bad of a GM?

For me there's still a very long uphill climb to go for Benning to be somewhat respectable. He's still the architect of taking a bubble playoff team and in trying to "improve" it tanking us to back to back bottom 3 finishes. And while the last deadline and draft looks pretty good we're still well behind other actively rebuilding teams like Carolina or Arizona. Hell even Vegas right now is probably on par or better than us with both their pro team and prospect pool.

There's been rumours of a front office shakeup, and i'll be highly impressed if he actually goes and fires Weisbrod. Benning would probably have been a lot less terrible the last few years if he didnt have Harvard English major George Costanza as his right hand man.

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I've always liked Benning. I think anyone who is the GM for the Canucks are in a tough spot because of how hands on ownership is.

I noticed that he has recently switched his strategy. Before the deadline he was trying to build a team based on defence and size, now he's trying to build a team based on speed and skill..

He's a better GM now then when he first started.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
he's been handcuffed the whole time. he's drafted well too. not great by any means but he gets way to much blame placed on him.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
One should take this into consideration when they assess the work that Jim Benning has done.

This is the owner of the Vancouver Canucks, Francesco Aquilini.

mikegillis1.jpg

aquilini3-e1396994059606.jpg

trevor-linden-francesco-aquilini.jpeg

Take a look at how many years Francesco Aquilini has attended the NHL Draft since purchasing the Vancouver Canucks in 2006.

Cmz8akf.jpg

Until now, all of his management groups have been given the mandate of being competitive.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/breaking-news-dave-nonis-fired-as-canucks-gm

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/mike-gillis-fired

https://www.thescore.com/news/569255

Last Friday was the first time he had ever attended the NHL Draft; on top of this, he personally hand-delivered the Canucks' hat to the team's 2017 top draft pick, Elias Pettersson.

He has now learned that hope sells.

Great post JA. Gives me hope and I'll continue to support the team.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Other than the JV pick, his drafting has beem damn good,

He needs to be demoted to head scout imo

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What do you guys think of this guys recent GMing? Do you think hes redeemed himself, even partially? Do you still think hes a buffoon? Do you think there was a secret Illuminati conspiracy and the owners were actually running the show early on? LMK what you think!

If you're an ex Nordstrom's security guard, you love him.

Otherwise, his drafting his too early to tell, he's made some decent moves followed by some pretty bad ones and some pretty absurd ones. He's not THE worst GM, but he's in the bottom 5 of worst GM's.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
he's been handcuffed the whole time. he's drafted well too. not great by any means but he gets way to much blame placed on him.

And he's getting this easy excuse of "He's been handcuffed" but he's also been bringing in "his guys" on staff and on the team. That's not being handcuffed. What you're doing is creating a scapegoat for a guy you feel the hate isn't justified for, but it kind of is, even if it's a little bit.

Don't worry you BC guys, Sakic is the worst BC based GM. Benning isn't the worst, he's probably bottom 5, but Sakic is owning that terrible GM title for years to come.

I feel like he wasn't that bad this past season.. Though he did trade McCann for Gudbranson

I don't think anyone won that trade. Both ended up losers.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
He's made a few questionable decisions. But remember the canucks are in this mess because of Mike Gillis and his horrible draft record and trading away picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad