Thoughts on Benning?

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
He is so bad that after signing a backup goalie, sam gagner, and MDZ people are wondering if hes turned the corner. Thats how low the bar is for Benning.

The Canucks will still hover around bottom 5 next year.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
He is so bad that after signing a backup goalie, sam gagner, and MDZ people are wondering if hes turned the corner. Thats how low the bar is for Benning.

The Canucks will still hover around bottom 5 next year.

No ****. We all, already know were going to be bottom 5. And that's ok. These signings aren't to get better. It's to have bodies filling spots in the roster while our prospects develop.

Really shows how many simpletons that know jack **** about hockey constantly voice their opinions on here. Take that trash somewhere else. If anyone thinks Benning signed these guys to push for the playoffs. Then just wow.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
I don't know if I consider Goldobin and a 4th max value for Hansen. Would've preferred a guaranteed pick in the 2nd/3rd rounds, or a 1st and a 4th, considering we retained salary.

Did you notice what other players were fetching at the deadline? Jack ****

What Benning got for burrows and Hansen as compared with what other teams were getting for established players was incredible

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
No ****. We all, already know were going to be bottom 5. And that's ok. These signings aren't to get better. It's to have bodies filling spots in the roster while our prospects develop.

Really shows how many simpletons that know jack **** about hockey constantly voice their opinions on here. Take that trash somewhere else. If anyone thinks Benning signed these guys to push for the playoffs. Then just wow.

So the guys drops two clear facts (the recent moves were minor & the Canucks are going to be bad next year) and suddenly he's a simpleton?

This is disgraceful. What "trash" is he talking about ? The team sucks and the direction has been nothing but downhill and the recent moves BARELY move the needle more than natural progression would. I guess I do agree with one of your statements here.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
I wouldn't say he absolutely botched his first top 10 pick. Pettersson is a highly touted prospect, and could be one of the best in the draft class.

I meant he botched the Virtanen pick and Juolevi over Tkachuk is looking pretty bad right now. I actually really liked the Pettersson pick.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I think GM's generally get undeserved reps, both good and bad. Just look at the way perceptions of Holland and Rutherford have changed over the last few seasons.

A GM is only as good as his material... and between unreasonable ownership and declining vets, Jim had some pretty **** poor material to work with.

I think he's been doing better recently and I hope he manages to get lucky with some of his picks... because being lucky is one of the main hallmarks of being a good GM.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I meant he botched the Virtanen pick and Juolevi over Tkachuk is looking pretty bad right now. I actually really liked the Pettersson pick.

How in the holy world does juolevi over tkachuk look bad after 1 year :help::help:

I guess Horvat over Valeri Nichushkin looks awful after 1 year also.

You guys are ridiculous. Juolevi was basically PPG in juniors this year without Marner/tkachuk.

He was one of the best players in the playoffs, had multiple games where he absolutely dominated, he looked like he was cruising most of the regular season.

Most recent reports right now have him at 200 pounds, the guy is gonna be damn good.

Lets bump this is 5 years and see where people are and compare them properly, because this is garbage.

Sep 18, 2009
How in the holy world does juolevi over tkachuk look bad after 1 year :help::help:

I guess Horvat over nish looks awful after 1 year also.

You guys are ridiculous. Juolevi was basically PPG in juniors this year without Marner/tkachuk.

He was one of the best players in the playoffs, had multiple games where he absolutely dominated, he looked like he was cruising most of the regular season.

Most recent reports right now have him at 200 pounds, the guy is gonna be damn good.

Lets bump this is 5 years and see where people are and compare them properly, because this is garbage.

Don't get mad but

Tkachuk is a NHL player
and looks to be a good one

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Not to mention horvat did not join the NHL until he was in the 2014 season, while Valeri Nichushkin was in the NHL called a stud after 14 goals in the 2013 season where he made the NHL.

He was defensive reliable and looked like he could be the next rick nash.

Every prospect gets into the NHL at a different pace. Virtanen was a bust, absolutely, but Juolevi is going at a good path right now, and is gonna be a core piece for Vancouver.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Don't get mad but

Tkachuk is a NHL player
and looks to be a good one

Do you think Juolevi won't be an NHL player?

The guy is gonna cornerstone the Canucks mobility in a few years alongside another top defender we will draft for sure.

We could have dahlin for god sakes. Were awful

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
In the words of JD Burke, "There's a difference between rebuilding and just being bad."

Right now I still think we're the latter. If we had traded Tanev that would've been a huge sign that we are actually rebuilding rather than just sucking.

Exactly. Bad teams get high picks which improves their prospect pool regardless of who's in charge. Benning is a terrible GM.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
He is much improved as it looks like they are turning the corner. Biggest problem I have seen is rushing young players into their lineup instead of properly developing their prospects first.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006

I guess Horvat over Valeri Nichushkin looks awful after 1 year also.

Bringing up Horavt is just stupid. Horvat dominated in his +1 season. Juolevi did not. Juolevi had a disappointing season for a top 5 pick. You can try spinning his regular season as him just cruising but it was ok at best. Yeah I'll give you the playoffs he was great but for a top 5 pick you should be dominant all year.

Tkachuk had a great rookie season in the NHL. He's already proven his floor is a top 6 winger in the NHL.

I doubt there's a single GM in the leauge who would take Juolevi over Tkachuk at this point. So yeah atm this pick does look kind of disappointing. In a redraft would Juolevi even be a top 3 defenseman drafted in that class? You could easily make the argument he wouldn't.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

Exactly, which is what a lot of the morons who continually bash Benning just don't understand. There is a right way to develop players and throwing them straight into the deep end is not it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad