Though Oilers Overpaid for Reinhart, He Has Good Value

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think Zboril was the Oilers target at #16 and once Boston drafted him Edmonton decided to trade the pick. If Reinhart was in the 2015 draft he would be behind Hanafin, Provorov and Werenski, based off his 17 year old season he would have been arguably the 4th best defenceman of this draft class.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Luke Schenn minus the hits seems like a good comparison..

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think Zboril was the Oilers target at #16 and once Boston drafted him Edmonton decided to trade the pick. If Reinhart was in the 2015 draft he would be behind Hanafin, Provorov and Werenski, based off his 17 year old season he would have been arguably the 4th best defenceman of this draft class.

Chia said that the player they were targeting with the pick was still their at #16 and that it was not Barzal. Everything points to it being Svechnikov.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Luke Schenn minus the hits seems like a good comparison..

He is a very different player than Luke Schenn. One of Schenn's biggest weaknesses is his hockey sense. This even ties into the "hits" part of the equation as Schenn would often take himself out of position to make the hit. Reinhart is a very smart defenseman. He seldom made mental mistakes.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He is a very different player than Luke Schenn. One of Schenn's biggest weaknesses is his hockey sense. This even ties into the "hits" part of the equation as Schenn would often take himself out of position to make the hit. Reinhart is a very smart defenseman. He seldom made mental mistakes.

Plus one brain though.

The Reinhart trade was not an overpay.

Hopefully you guys are right.... NYI fans claim otherwise..

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Overpayment. Barzal was more than enough for Reinhart.

1. Reinhart was unhappy with his situation in Isle
2. Isle valued PMD more than a shutdown D
3. Isle was very high on Barzal. He's Okposo replacement
4. Barzal's value league wide is worth more than Reinhart

Oilers should have drafted Barzal, build up his value and then trade him for a Larsson/Severson caliber type D.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i hope he becomes an Alzner because prime alzner with klefbom or nurse will be wonderful for our team.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Great post.

I don't think many Oil Kings fans thought Griff was a genuine top-5 pick in his draft year, more that he was a 10-12 guys that the Oilers would love to drop down to draft, but couldn't guarantee that he'd be there after they would have traded down. I'd rather look at him as a mid-first-rounder whose roadblocks to progress have been removed.

I also really question the fans/media for the Isles who think his first pro season was a bust. The team sucked, Pulock is a better offensive prospect, and their other guys are older and more seasoned. I hope Griff hits the reset button on the criticism, and works his ass off in a more positive environment. Green is pretty clear that he sees Griff as a career Oiler. 100% support.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't see it as an overpay because Reinhart fits into the age cohort young rising D we have with Klef and Nurse. D need to be more experienced and teams tend to need D to rise to prominence before that club has any significant success.

As I've mentioned often like it or not this org is now on the McDavid time clock and everything this org does will be now within a McDavid timeframe. Draft pick D are useless to this team at present point. You need guys that are at an age and level of experience that are closer to be ready for the show. In two years time McDavid is ready to start making some serious NHL noise and the 3 young D studs will be there too.

Its all timing for the coming out party and almost always is with teams that start to be good. This club is 1-2 years away from being even prepared to compete. That's just the way it is.

I don't even follow why Barzal is in this conversation all the time. We don't need Barzal, he would be the least of our needs. This is classic acquire a position you need vs BPA. The Oilers stronger need at this point with half a dozen allstars already in stable is filling needs. Filling holes. The Oilers looked to do that and did somewhat. I don't agree with the OP that Reinhart will or should be forever compared to the worth of Barzal or whoever. He'll be evaluated on his own and with the deal living or dying on that merit.

So strange. This should be one of the more popular moves the Oil have made in years. Instead so much attempt trying to find something wrong with it. (not saying in OP, just saying on the board in general moaning about this.

Plenty to beef about with the Oilers org. This isn't one of those.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Hopefully you guys are right.... NYI fans claim otherwise..

I live in Waterloo but I do go to Edmonton a fair bit so I was lucky enough to see Reinhart a few times in person. I also watched him play on TV whenever possible so there are many here who have seen much more of him than me. But there is no doubt that I have seen much more of Reinhart than the vast majority of the NYI fan base. And there are many here who have seen Reinhart play from dozens to hundreds of times. But you don't really have to see that much of him though to know he is very different from Schenn and that he does not lack hockey sense.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Oilers should have drafted Barzal, build up his value and then trade him for a Larsson/Severson caliber type D.

As in keep him and let him develop? Because that's exactly the sort of thing the team needed to stop doing (9 years is enough) and hence why Chiarelli traded away many of the picks MacT has stock piled. Second the team doesn't need anymore forwards and that would have been a waste of a pick. Lastly, the team needs to start moving forward and the first step was to take some chances. Chiarelli did just that. Whether it pans out is a different story, but I'm happy he did what he did on draft weekend.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Great post.

I don't think many Oil Kings fans thought Griff was a genuine top-5 pick in his draft year, more that he was a 10-12 guys that the Oilers would love to drop down to draft, but couldn't guarantee that he'd be there after they would have traded down. I'd rather look at him as a mid-first-rounder whose roadblocks to progress have been removed.

I also really question the fans/media for the Isles who think his first pro season was a bust. The team sucked, Pulock is a better offensive prospect, and their other guys are older and more seasoned. I hope Griff hits the reset button on the criticism, and works his ass off in a more positive environment. Green is pretty clear that he sees Griff as a career Oiler. 100% support.

Its a dynamic. One we understand as oiler fans.

Fans suffer a terrible club for years, suddenly start seeing some good players, some good D, and some success and after years of exposure to losing, the salty dog fans are still hypercritical about any player that seems less than 100% NHL ready while embracing fully the players that are ready right now and bringing it. Its a kind of impatience borne out of learned cynicism. No mystery why NYI fans would address frustration somewhere. Its still died in the wool. Have scapegoats, will travel.
Same thing will/is happening here. We have tendency to want great players and are tending towards negative on anything less than that.

Either distortion should be almost completely disregarded.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Would you have traded Nurse to the Islanders for Ryan Strome last year? Would you even do it right now? Would you trade Klefbom for Strome? Would the Devils trade Larsson for Strome?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think it was an overpay. Snow was creamin his pants for Barzal and likely would of accepted 16+3rd or at the most 16+57.

Regardless Reinhart is exactly what we need. I know there is an emphasis on PMD but you still need defenseman who can defend and Reinhart can do that.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
As in keep him and let him develop? Because that's exactly the sort of thing the team needed to stop doing (9 years is enough) and hence why Chiarelli traded away many of the picks MacT has stock piled. Second the team doesn't need anymore forwards. Lastly, the team needs to start moving forward and the first step was to take some chances. Chiarelli did just that. Whether it pans out is a different story, but I'm happy he did what he did on draft weekend.

There's nothing wrong with taking chances. Every GMs of the Oilers have taken chances. They just never panned out. I would have been more happy if Oilers trade the 16+33 for a proven veteran. Someone with an immediate impact. With Reinhart, there's just as risky as Barzal. I just don't see a top pairing potential in him. If it was for Larsson or Severson who both have top pairing potential, I would have been ecstatic.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Don't see it as an overpay because Reinhart fits into the age cohort young rising D we have with Klef and Nurse. D need to be more experienced and teams tend to need D to rise to prominence before that club has any significant success.

As I've mentioned often like it or not this org is now on the McDavid time clock and everything this org does will be now within a McDavid timeframe. Draft pick D are useless to this team at present point. You need guys that are at an age and level of experience that are closer to be ready for the show. In two years time McDavid is ready to start making some serious NHL noise and the 3 young D studs will be there too.

Its all timing for the coming out party and almost always is with teams that start to be good. This club is 1-2 years away from being even prepared to compete. That's just the way it is.

I don't even follow why Barzal is in this conversation all the time. We don't need Barzal, he would be the least of our needs. This is classic acquire a position you need vs BPA. The Oilers stronger need at this point with half a dozen allstars already in stable is filling needs. Filling holes. The Oilers looked to do that and did somewhat. I don't agree with the OP that Reinhart will or should be forever compared to the worth of Barzal or whoever. He'll be evaluated on his own and with the deal living or dying on that merit.

So strange. This should be one of the more popular moves the Oil have made in years. Instead so much attempt trying to find something wrong with it. (not saying in OP, just saying on the board in general moaning about this.

Excellent post Replacement! :handclap:

McDeathbyCheerios*

Thank you.

I was hoping someone with a better way with words then I would say what I have been trying to say.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
don't see it as an overpay because reinhart fits into the age cohort young rising d we have with klef and nurse. D need to be more experienced and teams tend to need d to rise to prominence before that club has any significant success.

As i've mentioned often like it or not this org is now on the mcdavid time clock and everything this org does will be now within a mcdavid timeframe. Draft pick d are useless to this team at present point. You need guys that are at an age and level of experience that are closer to be ready for the show. In two years time mcdavid is ready to start making some serious nhl noise and the 3 young d studs will be there too.

I don't even follow why barzal is in this conversation all the time. We don't need barzal, he would be the least of our needs. This is classic acquire a position you need vs bpa. The oilers stronger need at this point with half a dozen allstars already in stable is filling needs. Filling holes. The oilers looked to do that and did somewhat. I don't agree with the op that reinhart will or should be forever compared to the worth of barzal or whoever. He'll be evaluated on his own and with the deal living or dying on that merit.

So strange. This should be one of the more popular moves the oil have made in years. Instead so much attempt trying to find something wrong with it. (not saying in op, just saying on the board in general moaning about this.

Plenty to beef about with the oilers org. This isn't one of those.

qft.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Reinhart won't be that great this year. In a year, Barzal will be worth more than him individually.

That's the issue

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes