Injury Report: Thorburn out indefinitely

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Damn that's serious. Who nose when he'll be back.

I-See-What-You-Did-There..png

I love Thorburn for his personality and interviews and his bromance with Kane. I really don't care much for him being on our team anymore tough. It's tough.

bobbyboucher

Dec 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't get why we say things like "Tangradi can't score" when we are talking about a bunch of fourth liners who all score about the same much...

What separates them is there ability to either:
a) move the puck forward
b) play defensively
c) PK
d) faceoffs

Other than that, they are all the same in bringing intangibles and can't score.
Tangradi, Peluso, Thorburn, Slater, Halischuk... All of them are scoring at 0.5-0.8 p/60 5v5 TOI during fourth liner minutes, and any fluctuations or differences is probably more to do with variance than skill.
These aren't Raffi Torres bottom 6 players who can score and play grind minutes. They all can't score.

Tangradi can push play forward.
Slater can win faceoffs.
Wright can diminish scoring chances against and PK.

Those are my three if I could choose from the lot. They would do the "least damage".

Tangradi has 13 points in 124 career games. My god even Peluso is on a higher scoring place than that. If you cant pitch in offensively then you better damn well play a physical game and get yourself noticed. Tangradi is a ghost out there. Id much rather have a guy like Peluso who can at least stick up for his team mates and throw a hit from time to time. Surely even you can agree it would be advantages to the Jets to even just bring a young guy up from st johns next year to take the role of a Tangradi, Peluso, Thorburn.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Dumping Peluso on waivers would be a nice start. Can't believe he is signed for another year :facepalm:

I am a Big fan of Peluso . He hits and plays a physical Heavy game. He s got a tough rep around the league that he does not have to fight to be effective. HE creates space on the ice and has a offensive upside. He is the main reason Thorbs will not be resigned.

The jets will improve next year by replacing.......
1) Thorbs
2) Settiguchi
3) Halischuk
4) Jokinen

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Tangradi has 13 points in 124 career games. My god even Peluso is on a higher scoring place than that. If you cant pitch in offensively then you better damn well play a physical game and get yourself noticed. Tangradi is a ghost out there. Id much rather have a guy like Peluso who can at least stick up for his team mates and throw a hit from time to time. Surely even you can agree it would be advantages to the Jets to even just bring a young guy up from st johns next year to take the role of a Tangradi, Peluso, Thorburn.

Peluso has also seen an on-ice sh% of just over 8% which will not sustain. Fourth line players from worst to best see about 6-7%.

Believe me. All these guys are similar in scoring abilities. You regress sh% to what you will likely see with larger sample size and they are almost all identical in points per 60 mins of 5v5 TOI.

Besides, 4th line players don't make or break teams by their scoring.

They have a much larger influence in relation to reducing "how much they hurt you while they are on the ice.

The factor between a top 4th line to the worst is about an 7-8 goal difference in a team's goal differential, which is just under two wins. It is almost exclusively in reduction of goals against.

Tangradi does have one ability. He can keep the puck the **** out of our own zone. This is why for the 2nd year in a row Tangradi is the ONLY fourth line player with a positive Corsi% (puck possession / zone territorial advantage stat)... even though he's playing with those below 50% players when he is on the fourth line.

As a 50-52% player you are expecting around a 4-6 goal improvement over the worst 4th lines from Tangradi.
As a 47-49% player you are expecting around a 2-4 goal improvement over the worst 4th lines from Peluso.

Protecting your players is nice (although there is no evidence thus far what works and what doesn't and how well; not saying it doesn't... just sayin) but the ultimate goal of the game is improve wins by outscoring your opponent.

If you want to know where I get these numbers I have 4 years worth of NHL data here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...UmhSdTkzU2E4R2NrOXpfczJmckE&usp=sharing#gid=0

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am a Big fan of Peluso . He hits and plays a physical Heavy game. He s got a tough rep around the league that he does not have to fight to be effective. HE creates space on the ice and has a offensive upside. He is the main reason Thorbs will not be resigned.

The jets will improve next year by replacing.......
1) Thorbs
2) Settiguchi
3) Halischuk
4) Jokinen

The team will improve IF they upgrade on those players. Simply replacing with similar parts keeps the treadmill in motion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad