Injury Report: Thorburn out indefinitely

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well that sucks.

A little comforting though that it somewhat reduces the chance he'll be resigned.

Feel bad for Thorbs, he gives his all. Fact of the matter is he's just another player that is in the lineup because of intangibles and not ability. Sometimes the only way they are out of your lineup is when they get hurt.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
With Evander Kane back and Schiefs, now Thorbs and Slater out, we are done. Need to get rid of Kane. He doesn't play well with others.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
With Evander Kane back and Schiefs, now Thorbs and Slater out, we are done. Need to get rid of Kane. He doesn't play well with others.

Respectfully disagree with the contention being that he plays well with Scheifele and Wheeler, Scheifele seeming to be the key.

I'd trade anyone for the right return though.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
For what it's worth, it wasn't Thorburn's fault he was put on he 2nd line. I think he takes extra heat around here because of that (mis)assignment.

Thorburn is a character, and he plays hard. In case he doesn't return, I'll remember him fondly as a part of the Jets. Cheering is partly about winning, and partly about liking the folks you're cheering for.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
For what it's worth, it wasn't Thorburn's fault he was put on he 2nd line. I think he takes extra heat around here because of that (mis)assignment.

Thorburn is a character, and he plays hard. In case he doesn't return, I'll remember him fondly as a part of the Jets. Cheering is partly about winning, and partly about liking the folks you're cheering for.

I love thorrburn as a person.. Not as a member of this team, at least on the ice. I hope our bottom six looks dramatically different resulting in him being resigned but confined to the press box indefinitly.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I love thorrburn as a person.. Not as a member of this team, at least on the ice. I hope our bottom six looks dramatically different resulting in him being resigned but confined to the press box indefinitly.

Yup, he would be great if he sat in the pressbox and only entered actual game action due to injury. That being said I wouldn't offer him more than league minimum as a UFA to stay in Winnipeg.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011

We have way too many softies and sentimental decision makers. Thorbs. Joki. Settuguchi should not be resigned and Big Buff should be traded well he still has good value at the draft in June

Tangradi. Should be waived or sent to the Rock after TC

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Well that sucks.

A little comforting though that it somewhat reduces the chance he'll be resigned.

Yep if there is something I'm overlooking with Thorbs (other than hes a great guy) would somebody let me know please. I was getting real sick of them using him on the second and third lines, and then before he got hurt they were again putting him out there with the big boys. If they are going to misuse guys like that on top lines I really don't want to have them around

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Here's how I figure it.

When a guy gets injured, and talk turns to wonderin' whether we may have seen the last of him in a Jets uniform, it's a fine day for a sentimental "thanks for giving it your all".

Hey say all the nice things you want about him, the previous poster wants to sign him for press box duty because Thorbs is a guy to have a round. Only way to get better is to make changes .... Thanks for the three years Thorbs

Derfel*

Thorburn needs to be resigned at a reasonable salary, and kept around to carry out his role. He's a good grinder that can sit in the 4th line and mentor.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Thorburn needs to be resigned at a reasonable salary, and kept around to carry out his role. He's a good grinder that can sit in the 4th line and mentor.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

IMO he is a bad 4th line grinder and by the numbers he has been in the conversation for the Winnipeg Jets worst player for three years running.

He also offers zero special teams value.

Plus, the Jets are already going into next season with Tangradi, Slater and Peluso locked up for their fourth line. IMO this team CANNOT continue their habit of keeping around their bottom end players year after year. Six defenders and fourth liners are a dime a dozen.

Please, please, please - no more Thor.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Plus, the Jets are already going into next season with Tangradi, Slater and Peluso locked up for their fourth line. IMO this team CANNOT continue their habit of keeping around their bottom end players year after year. Six defenders and fourth liners are a dime a dozen.

Dumping Peluso on waivers would be a nice start. Can't believe he is signed for another year :facepalm:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I disagree wholeheartedly.

IMO he is a bad 4th line grinder and by the numbers he has been in the conversation for the Winnipeg Jets worst player for three years running.

He also offers zero special teams value.

This team really seems to want to go with a veteran 4th line and leave the lower-ceiling/long-term-project prospects in St. John's to develop. It's working out pretty well for the Ice Caps this year, I guess...

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
This team really seems to want to go with a veteran 4th line and leave the lower-ceiling/long-term-project prospects in St. John's to develop. It's working out pretty well for the Ice Caps this year, I guess...

My comment really isn't about age or about prospects getting 4th line ice, it is about better players getting 4th line ice - and players who are better than Thor are pretty common.

Doesn't score.
Doesn't defend well.
Doesn't fight well.
Can't kill penalties.

He truly brings nothing above replacement level on the ice.

Halischuk at least brings some solid PK ability and scoring.
Wright can kill penalties too.
Tangradi moves the puck out of the D zone.
Peluso at least wins fights - which IMO has no value, but is more exciting than Thor's Ls.

Those guys may not be elite 4th liners, but they do bring something to the on ice product.

bobbyboucher

Dec 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Dumping Peluso on waivers would be a nice start. Can't believe he is signed for another year :facepalm:

IMO Peluso has more value than that lump Tangradi. Peluso hits and can throw them which is valuable when you play some of the heavier/scrappy teams. Tangradi on the other hand doesnt score, cant pass, and doesnt hit. Ive never seen a 6'5 guy play so soft. I cant think of a single other team in the league where he would make the lineup. AHL fodder at best.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I don't get why we say things like "Tangradi can't score" when we are talking about a bunch of fourth liners who all score about the same much...

What separates them is there ability to either:
a) move the puck forward
b) play defensively
c) PK
d) faceoffs

Other than that, they are all the same in bringing intangibles and can't score.
Tangradi, Peluso, Thorburn, Slater, Halischuk... All of them are scoring at 0.5-0.8 p/60 5v5 TOI during fourth liner minutes, and any fluctuations or differences is probably more to do with variance than skill.
These aren't Raffi Torres bottom 6 players who can score and play grind minutes. They all can't score.

Tangradi can push play forward.
Slater can win faceoffs.
Wright can diminish scoring chances against and PK.

Those are my three if I could choose from the lot. They would do the "least damage".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad