Thomas Vanek thread

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He's gonna get retired here for saving the wings playoff streak. Goat red wing. Make him captain

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think the buyout was a wake up call because I have yet to see any of the things that a lot of Wild fans were criticizing him for: He goes to net, he competes, he battles for the puck, and he back-checks.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I think the buyout was a wake up call because I have yet to see any of the things that a lot of Wild fans were criticizing him for: He goes to net, he competes, he battles for the puck, and he back-checks.

If he keeps this up. If we lose a forward in the expansion draft, I would not mind signing him again. He could be looking to play for a cup contending team though after he revives his career here.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Good signing if he is traded by the trade deadline. If he keeps playing at a high level, i could easily see him netting Detroit an early 2nd round pick, maybe even a late 1st.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Good signing if he is traded by the trade deadline. If he keeps playing at a high level, i could easily see him netting Detroit an early 2nd round pick, maybe even a late 1st.
One year deals on reclamation players should be a staple of this era for exactly that reason. Low risk, high reward, and on the occasion that they do pan out...an easy way to acquire more draft ammo.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Should be driving his numbers with more 5x5, 4x4, ot, and pp ice time. More offensive zone draws too. Get him ready for that trade deadline.

I would like to see him with z and mantha 5x5

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Ideally we trade him for a 1st at the deadline assuming he keeps up close to this level of play. Between him and Green I'm praying we go into this draft with three 1sts. Kinda sucks that it's not projected to be a great draft class but at the same time nobody really knows for sure so I'm optimistic.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
It is clear that he is the best player on the team this year. Except for maybe Howard. Think about that. Let it soak in. Minnesota's reject is our best player.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It is clear that he is the best player on the team this year. Except for maybe Howard. Think about that. Let it soak in. Minnesota's reject is our best player.

That's pretty misleading. He wasn't a great fit in Minnesota and is only 2.2 seasons removed from being a stud.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's pretty misleading. He wasn't a great fit in Minnesota and is only 2.2 seasons removed from being a stud.

Well his role on the PP was invested in another player as where his ice time minutes to some degree. Minnesota has a lot into Parise, that was never going to help Vanek when he was there. Everything he did well Parise was either better at or would get the role regardless given the commitment to Parise there.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
Even though Vanek is not really dominating games he is contributing steadily on the scoresheet. And apparently in the short season so far his impact can also be felt in Detroit's record. May just be coincidence since the sample size is still quite small, but there is a definite trend here:
Detroit with Vanek in the lineup is 10-4-2 and without him 3-7-1.

So although I am sure this is not the only factor for the recent upswing it is still kinda interesting to see that the Red Wings are a decent team again since his return (and Mrazek stops pucks again!).

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit

Come on, we all know Holland isn't trading anybody. Definitely not Vanek.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Even though Vanek is not really dominating games he is contributing steadily on the scoresheet. And apparently in the short season so far his impact can also be felt in Detroit's record. May just be coincidence since the sample size is still quite small, but there is a definite trend here:
Detroit with Vanek in the lineup is 10-4-2 and without him 3-7-1.

So although I am sure this is not the only factor for the recent upswing it is still kinda interesting to see that the Red Wings are a decent team again since his return (and Mrazek stops pucks again!).

Something I didn't know about Vanek until I started watching him in Detroit is how high his hockey IQ is. He's a very creative and smart player with a deadly shot. His foot speed isn't there anymore, as expected, but he still knows where to go to score. He can make things look easy. Very fun to watch. I wish he was 22 and not 32. :(

V0TPpYa.gif

4lAyvhH.gif

AFe0T9Y.gif

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Yeah, without any doubt he's having a huge impact on our game. Creating spaces, great net front presence, IQ allowing some nice passes, shot accuracy/deflecting shots, pretty good chemistry with Nike. U just can say when he's on the ice and I'm glad that he's bouncing back like this. Wild must be like, are u ****ing kidding me?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Yeah, without any doubt he's having a huge impact on our game. Creating spaces, great net front presence, IQ allowing some nice passes, shot accuracy/deflecting shots, pretty good chemistry with Nike. U just can say when he's on the ice and I'm glad that he's bouncing back like this. Wild must be like, are u ****ing kidding me?

Well in a funny way it's like we got rid of Pulkkinen for Vanek straight up. Thanks Minny for the discount though.:laugh:

Sheriff Bert

Blash is Trash
Apr 24, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Well in a funny way it's like we got rid of Pulkkinen for Vanek straight up. Thanks Minny for the discount though.:laugh:

It's even funnier that Pulk only played 8 games before being sent down. I guess he's lighting it up in the AHL again.

I think he'll either be a career AHLer or go overseas (more likely)

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
It's even funnier that Pulk only played 8 games before being sent down. I guess he's lighting it up in the AHL again.

I think he'll either be a career AHLer or go overseas (more likely)

Pulk has 8 goals and7 assists in 16 games at Iowa. Shame he cant do it in NHL. Vanek gets my vote as all star .

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Vanek is gonna get PAID next season if he continues playing like this. What a performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad