Thomas Vanek Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't think the Kings are going to trade away too much of their future for their underperforming team right now. I just don't see them as trade partners for Vanek, because they are going to be outbid by somebody who wants to win now.

I see Anaheim, San Jose, Pitt, Boston, and Chi all bidding for his services.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
I don't think the Kings are going to trade away too much of their future for their underperforming team right now. I just don't see them as trade partners for Vanek, because they are going to be outbid by somebody who wants to win now.

Is it unrealistic to get a very good young goaltender for a superstar winger rental?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Is it unrealistic to get a very good young goaltender for a superstar winger rental?

I think getting a D is harder to do during FA so that should be the priority. Many teams have decent goalies right now, and I don't think we need an elite one yet.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

I don't agree with Anaheim. They're tops in the league, and don't really need to trade pieces to bolster their lineup and possibly mess up their chemistry (although I will admit, I think the chemistry argument is usually a load of BS, but you never know). I also look at their trading of Bobby Ryan for young assets, because they felt he would be gone in 2 seasons. That's not exactly an indicator of a willingness to do the exact opposite a half year later.

Washington, SJ, Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Toronto...all potential landing spots but in too much of a cap crunch at the moment (the highest 7 payrolls in the league). Also don't think he's needed in Boston or Chicago.

I look at LA or Montreal as the most likely teams. From a cap standpoint and from a standings standpoint. Maybe Ottawa too.

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site

I think the Kings are indeed the team with the most to gain from acquiring Vanek - they've already shown they can run the table from the last playoff spot, but they need to jump start their offence in the worst way. Too bad they gave up Scrivens, so they wouldn't have a goalie for us. I don't think it would be too unreasonable to be able to pry a 1st along with either Toffoli or Zykov from them.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I was never a believer in the Brooklyn move being a game changer, but I was on the fence trying to lean positive. I kept reading it from so many people and I started to think it made some sense, but still wasn't sold.

Now? I'm even more convinced the move to Brooklyn doesn't make a damn difference.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I think the Kings are indeed the team with the most to gain from acquiring Vanek - they've already shown they can run the table from the last playoff spot, but they need to jump start their offence in the worst way. Too bad they gave up Scrivens, so they wouldn't have a goalie for us. I don't think it would be too unreasonable to be able to pry a 1st along with either Toffoli or Zykov from them.

So, I don't know much about these Toffoli or Zykov guys. Are they legit prospects? Who are they comparable to?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004

Kings are close enough to justify giving up some future potential assets to seriously bolster a Cup run. Winning a Cup is never a certainty and teams that are legitimately in the mix, maybe 1 good asset away, even if a rental, must go for it. Never know if they ever get another sniff. LA will be looking at Vanek and Lombardi is smart enough to know that he could be a big final piece as they have almost everything else.
The Hawks were able to overspend and win a Cup, get rid of some very good pieces to reduce cap hit, rebuild around a good core, and win another Cup, plus contend for this one. That is the model that Lombardi is likely looking at, and Vanek makes loads of sense as a rental, even at the cost of some very nice young assets.

Shot of Bailey

Apr 9, 2013
PEI, Canada
What we end up getting totally depends on how many teams are interested in his services. Best case, 3 or more teams bidding on him. As long as Vanek or his agent do not publicily announce that Min is where he wants to go (speculation right now), Garth should be able to flip him for some nice assets. Time will tell what Vanek's worth is. Cross your fingers he doesn't get hurt before we trade him.....

por2gues

Aug 2, 2005
I would imagine we see a deal before Friday. Too much risk letting him go to Sochi and play. If he gets hurt then we really get nothing for him. That would be a typical Isles move...

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Pretty sure this is how it works around here.....

What we need: Defense and Goaltending

What's the exact opposite: Offense

What we will get in return: Offense

Obviously this team NEEDS defense and goaltending, and those positions should be priority, but if those type of players are not available in a trade at the deadline, should the Isles NOT move Vanek? I think Snow has to take the best package he can get in this trade. I mean, it's not like they're rolling 4 rock solid forward lines. There's at least a couple of holes that need to be plugged on the forward lines.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Maata, Zaktoff, 1st for Vanek and Poulin? I suck at these proposals and since i know i would do that trade without hesitation, its probably not fair value

Kovalchuk trade to NJ:
Thrashers get rookie forward Niclas Bergfors, defenseman Johnny Oduya, prospect Patrice Cormier and a first-round pick in this year's draft (2010).

Hossa trade to PIT:
Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen, highly regarded prospect Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft choice to the Thrashers in the deal (2008). They also received winger Pascal Dupuis from Atlanta.

Tkachuk to ATL:
St. Louis Blues traded Keith Tkachuk to the Atlanta Thrashers for Glen Metropolit, a first and third-round draft pick in 2007 and a second-round draft pick in 2008.

*major caveat, all these deals involved ATL...enough said. The returns 'look' good, but look at them now...the better of the deal went to the team that got the bona-fide NHL star player.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Pretty sure this is how it works around here.....

What we need: Defense and Goaltending

What's the exact opposite: Offense

What we will get in return: Offense

If we can't get goaltending, which IMO is highly unlikely, then we should go for offense.

Forwards is our 2nd weakest position in the pipeline. There is a huge drop off after Strome/Nelson. Then there is Lee and after him there isn't anyone worth getting excited about.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
Kovalchuk trade to NJ:
Thrashers get rookie forward Niclas Bergfors, defenseman Johnny Oduya, prospect Patrice Cormier and a first-round pick in this year's draft (2010).

Hossa trade to PIT:
Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen, highly regarded prospect Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft choice to the Thrashers in the deal (2008). They also received winger Pascal Dupuis from Atlanta.

Tkachuk to ATL:
St. Louis Blues traded Keith Tkachuk to the Atlanta Thrashers for Glen Metropolit, a first and third-round draft pick in 2007 and a second-round draft pick in 2008.

*major caveat, all these deals involved ATL...enough said. The returns 'look' good, but look at them now...the better of the deal went to the team that got the bona-fide NHL star player.

as it does most of the time....this is why we truly need to get a young, semi-proven player

Yashin for President

Jan 14, 2007
Bestchester
Highly doubt he is available but Toffolli is my choice. Kid reminds me of Bobby Ryan. Strome and Toffolli would be nasty together. I think we would have to take back salary to make something like this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad