Player Discussion Thomas Vanek II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrRuin

Sponsor
Apr 7, 2004
Somewhere in time
^^ these two posts sum up the previous thread pretty well :)

Vanek is off to a good start, I think with Charlie Coyle's improved play he will be able to increase his numbers from last year. 30 goals is not out of the question.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
He is what he is.

If he can keep finding his way on the scoresheet, he's a huge asset to this team. Keeps that 3rd line a viable scoring threat. That's pretty incredible balance if the current top 6 can stay together and be productive. He's a flawed player, not to the point some like to sensationalize, but given where he's playing (3rd line, PP minutes) he's valuable to this team.

Expecting him to score 30 or more is likely a bit unrealistic but if he can get in the mid 20s, that's huge.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I still hate/loathe Vaneks playingstyle.

At least I said love/hate. :D

I don't expect him to turn into Zach Parise, but I do want him to shoot more this year. What he did on his first goal was perfect.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah he still drives me crazy and I have issues with his style of play and lack of a motor.

That said, I like Vanek's offense on the 3rd line but I hope Coyle finds a way up the lineup if his stellar play continues. He deserves a look with Granlund and Parise IMO, put Graovac between Pominville and Vanek and see if that clicks. A Parise-Granlund-Coyle line would be very fun to watch. And a pain to play against.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah he still drives me crazy and I have issues with his style of play and lack of a motor.

That said, I like Vanek's offense on the 3rd line but I hope Coyle finds a way up the lineup if his stellar play continues. He deserves a look with Granlund and Parise IMO, put Graovac between Pominville and Vanek and see if that clicks. A Parise-Granlund-Coyle line would be very fun to watch. And a pain to play against.

A Vanek-Graovac-Pominville line sort of scares me. That line doesn't, on paper, have a strong enough possession player to play Yeo's style. That said, if Coyle's play continues as it is right now, he does deserve to be rewarded somehow, and a Parise-Granlund-Coyle line would, in my opinion, be scary good. Might be a nice line to get out there late in a game where we need a goal to tie the score up.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
A Vanek-Graovac-Pominville line sort of scares me. That line doesn't, on paper, have a strong enough possession player to play Yeo's style. That said, if Coyle's play continues as it is right now, he does deserve to be rewarded somehow, and a Parise-Granlund-Coyle line would, in my opinion, be scary good. Might be a nice line to get out there late in a game where we need a goal to tie the score up.

Pretty much exactly how I feel. I think Coyle was best with Parise and as a RW and getting a shot to play with 64 would also be a great opportunity.

Or conversely we could roll

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Vanek - Coyle - Nino
Zucker - Koivu - Fontaine

I think those lines would work well. Vanek should be able to thrive with two strong hard workers an Koivu would be good with two quick young guys who can finish.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Vanek and Pom would put up 60-70+ goals and if you added Coyle maybe that line is good for 20 more. (Grav may work there too)Coyle and Pom are defensively respectable so the line should be ok within the system with the right d pairing and Coyles development would jump a light year. Either Vanek or Pom would probably lead the team in pts and goals Parise would still get his 30+ dirty goals playing with Granny and a RW of choice.. I would not expect much difference in output regardless of what line Pom is on . This team is one Pominville short of two lines with excellent production

Nino has yet to develop the vision and passing to play a Pom , Vanek style offensive game, although I must admit he is far less selfish with the puck this year and seems to have worked on his passing. Too early to conclude anything

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
even though vanek is not fast, playing on the 3rd line should give us more talent than other teams 3rd line resulting in some scoring chances. i like vanek & coyle on the same line. im not sure who the "perfect" 3rd man is.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
His cherry picking is driving me absolutely nuts. Offsides three times last game by my count as well as hanging his teammates out to dry. Also, not shooting the puck with the goalie down and an empty net so that he could try and dart behind the net to make a pass? Why?

He clearly has offensive talent, but his decision making is so bad in all aspects that I see him as much more of a liability than an asset.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
His cherry picking is driving me absolutely nuts. Offsides three times last game by my count as well as hanging his teammates out to dry. Also, not shooting the puck with the goalie down and an empty net so that he could try and dart behind the net to make a pass? Why?

He clearly has offensive talent, but his decision making is so bad in all aspects that I see him as much more of a liability than an asset.

Are you talking about Coyle's 2nd goal? Because I don't think he voluntarily brought the puck back there. If it was another time, I don't recollect what you're referring to. I know Nino did something similar to that, but I think it was more a fumbled puck.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011

He didn't shoot it because the dman had a good stick position to deflect the shot. His stick was like two inches from the puck and was going for a poke check, so Vanek tried to sort of go around him.

J22*

It wasn't "cherry picking". Cherry picking is when you float around the neutral zone waiting for a homerun pass. What Vanek and Zucker and even Parise a few times, were doing was jumping or flying the zone early. They would wait until the Wild dmen gained control and then they would bolt.

It's pretty obvious that this was a part of the gameplan and it makes sense. The only thing Zucker has going for him right now is his speed, and getting Vanek out ahead of the break can only help. Plus, playing against a team with 3 really good RHD like the Blues, making those guys worry about the LW getting behind them is a great way to slow them down somewhat on offense.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
I hate that Vanek is already on a revolving door line (not anyone's fault, just injuries). Vanek is the type of player who benefits from being with linemates for longer periods of time because he makes more skillful plays.

It's not a coincidence Vanek got a goal when playing with Granlund in the first game.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He wasn't "playing with" Granlund the first game, Granlund was just the first to come on the ice during a line change. Graovac had gone to the bench, Granlund jumped on the ice as Coyle stole the puck. Coyle gave the puck to a rushing Granlund, then went to change too. Vanek was just changing last to ensure a good change, so rushed in behind Granlund, who then passed back to the trailing Vanek for the snipe.

Coyle got the assist, but not the +1 as he was on the bench when Vanek scored.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't want Coyle playing Parise at this point. He gets too respectful, and defers too much. I want him to carve out his own niche, and by that i mean start looking for his own shot.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
He wasn't "playing with" Granlund the first game, Granlund was just the first to come on the ice during a line change. Graovac had gone to the bench, Granlund jumped on the ice as Coyle stole the puck. Coyle gave the puck to a rushing Granlund, then went to change too. Vanek was just changing last to ensure a good change, so rushed in behind Granlund, who then passed back to the trailing Vanek for the snipe.

Coyle got the assist, but not the +1 as he was on the bench when Vanek scored.

I know, the point still stands. Put Vanek with an elite set-up man (maybe Coyle becomes that) & he'll light it up. Keep putting him out there with the likes of fontaine/graovac/haula etc & he'll be mediocre.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Does anyone think a Vanek-Haula-Coyle line could work? Haula's speed and Coyle's physicality could open up a lot of areas of the ice for Vanek. Haula is slightly underrated in terms of a playmaker (was a PPG player at the U of M) and certainly a more accomplished NHL player than Graovac--who is currnetly playing on that line.

We know what the PPG can do, and that is....at times...dominate any team they want in the league.

The Koivu-Nino-Zucker seems to drive a lot of possession and generate a lot of shots in the offensive zone.

Haula's speed would allow a lot of those Zucker type dump in where he beats the D and he can use his speed to win a lot of 50/50 battles and at least force loose pucks. Coyle is the best on our team along the boards and without the puck at subtle pick plays and things like that...all of which could create more space for Vanek in goal-scoring areas as opposing players scramble.

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Koivu-Nino
Vanek-Haula-Coyle

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I don't want Coyle playing Parise at this point. He gets too respectful, and defers too much. I want him to carve out his own niche, and by that i mean start looking for his own shot.

I'd agree. I like Charlie having his own line to kind of dictate. When Graovac hopefully comes back and healthy that line could be something special if Vanek keeps up his play.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I' m pessimistic about Haula in general. He hasn't looked very good again this year... kinda lost.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Does anyone think a Vanek-Haula-Coyle line could work? Haula's speed and Coyle's physicality could open up a lot of areas of the ice for Vanek. Haula is slightly underrated in terms of a playmaker (was a PPG player at the U of M) and certainly a more accomplished NHL player than Graovac--who is currnetly playing on that line.

We know what the PPG can do, and that is....at times...dominate any team they want in the league.

The Koivu-Nino-Zucker seems to drive a lot of possession and generate a lot of shots in the offensive zone.

Haula's speed would allow a lot of those Zucker type dump in where he beats the D and he can use his speed to win a lot of 50/50 battles and at least force loose pucks. Coyle is the best on our team along the boards and without the puck at subtle pick plays and things like that...all of which could create more space for Vanek in goal-scoring areas as opposing players scramble.

Zucker-Koivu-Nino
Vanek-Haula-Coyle

Right now, while Graovac is hurt, I wouldn't be opposed to giving it a try. But I still would Graovac to get an extended look.

J22*

Zucker-Koivu-Nino
Vanek-Haula-Coyle

I think it's more likely that Haula comes out of the lineup than it is he moves up in it. He's not even a good 4th liner at the moment.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Fontaine is a lot better player than he gets respect for around here. He'll be missed a lot next year when he's elsewhere. I want to see what a Vanek-Coyle-Fontaine looks like for the stretch of Graovac being out before I'd consider mixing lines up. Especially moving Haula up for no apparent reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad