News Article: Thomas Steen facing assault charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Winnipeg city councillor Thomas Steen is facing an assault charge following an incident last week at a city restaurant, the Free Press has learned.

Steen turned himself in to police Tuesday evening and was promptly released on a promise to appear in court, a justice source said. The allegations have not been proven and Steen is presumed innocent.

Steen allegedly got into a dispute May 1 at the Boston Pizza location on McPhillips Street. A woman known to Steen reported she was assaulted and contacted police, who authorized a charge following a brief investigation.

Steen's release conditions include having no contact with the woman, who did not suffer any serious injuries. His first court appearance is later this spring.

The Free Press tried to contact Steen for comment Tuesday evening. At press time, he hadn't returned a voice-mail message.

Steen is currently finishing his first term as councillor for Elmwood-East Kildonan after being elected in October 2010. He is expected to run again this fall but will face a challenge from at least one candidate who has already declared.

Prior to entering the political arena, Steen enjoyed a successful professional hockey career that included 14 seasons with the Winnipeg Jets. His son, Alex, is now a star forward for the St. Louis Blues of the NHL.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/ex-jet-steen-facing--assault-charge-258240941.html

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
This sounds very overblown to me. Considering that she wasn't inured or anything, and Steen immediately turned himself in...it sounds like nothing more then a misunderstanding where things got a little out of control. Obviously, I stand to be corrected...but from what has been presented thus far, it doesn't sound like much.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I hope when the matter is settled, i don't have a dislike for one of my all time favorite players.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
This must be devastating for him and for the lady who is known to him. He has led an exemplary life as far as we know. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he has earned (imo).

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
No sense rushing to judgement until more substantive facts become known. All we have so far is an alleged assault, and there's been no indication whether it occurred in or outside the restaurant, it's unknown if alcohol was a factor, and so far no witnesses have come forward.

I'll wait for a while to decide for myself.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I know Thomas Steen personally. He is a really great guy.

I know good people do stupid things but I'd like to know more about what happened before changing my opinion of him.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah Katz is known for assaulting people :rolleyes:

Well any credibility for him is gone after he attempted to sue the Uniter for defamation of character. Idiot does that for himself. So it may not be physical assault. And assault is assault regardless if it was a threat, etc. A threat of assault is 3rd degree assault.

Hopefully Steen didn't do anything stupid. Like the Steens. (Alex is rawr:nod:)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Well any credibility for him is gone after he attempted to sue the Uniter for defamation of character. Idiot does that for himself. So it may not be physical assault. And assault is assault regardless if it was a threat, etc. A threat of assault is 3rd degree assault.

You are insinuating that Steen brought this upon himself for taking legal action against a University newspaper for statements he believed to be false? What is wrong with you. How is this relevant to assault?

People take each other to court all the time (usually financial disputes). Way to judge him before we know all the facts.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

There is no such thing as "3rd degree assault".

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

I believe the actual charge is uttering threats or some crap, but in any case, unless you have actual recorded evidence or its written down its VERY wishy washy. The sad thing is, with all assaults no matter what it is...the police HAVE to charge. It used to be that the police could choose whether to pursue it or not, but now they have to lay charges. Even if the victim doesn't want to.

what I'm meaning by this, even if they got into an argument and Tommy Steen said, I'm going to punch you in the face...he has to be charged even though there is really no way to prove it with out witnesses or recordings or what have you.

Yea...that sounds about right...or maybe I'm just talking out my ass. Who knows, really.

As for LadyJets comments, I was under the impression she was talking about the mayor in that instance. Not Thomas Steen.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB

I believe the actual charge is uttering threats or some crap, but in any case, unless you have actual recorded evidence or its written down its VERY wishy washy. The sad thing is, with all assaults no matter what it is...the police HAVE to charge. It used to be that the police could choose whether to pursue it or not, but now they have to lay charges. Even if the victim doesn't want to.

what I'm meaning by this, even if they got into an argument and Tommy Steen said, I'm going to punch you in the face...he has to be charged even though there is really no way to prove it with out witnesses or recordings or what have you.

Yea...that sounds about right...or maybe I'm just talking out my ass. Who knows, really.

As for LadyJets comments, I was under the impression she was talking about the mayor in that instance. Not Thomas Steen.

I was talking about the mayor.

And uttering threats is a criminal offense. Up to 18 months in prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad