Player Discussion: Thomas Hickey

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
this sounds about right.

when our D are healthy, i put him about 8th on the depth chart.

Leddy, Boychuk, Hamonic, deHaan, Seidenberg, Pulock, Pelech, Hickey, Mayfield. and with guys like Toews, Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon, Burroughs, Bischoff, Somerby, waiting in the wings, i doubt that it will be long before he is supplanted.

he happens to get favorable treatment from Cappy, but seriously, how many teams would have him on their PP and PK?

weakest link, gotta go soon...

Very negative, pessimistic assessment. A glass half empty opinion.

Hickey has come through time and time again in clutch situations and is one of the few players that plays with energy and enthusiasm every game. Any coach would be happy to have him in on their team.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
We're definetly not gonna lose a top 4/5 Dman for free that's for sure.

A lot of this depends on the direction of the team, then what is available to Vegas as 'exposed' assets, then how Vegas elects to build a team. They have immediate needs, but also longer term ones too.

I see CDH signing a long term extension (Leddy/Hamonic-type) in Q1 2017 - part cap reason, part commitment, but also does an expansion team what someone on a 5/7yr deal at this point? CDH isn't really a guy I would be taking on that risk, if I was Vegas.

I think Vegas goes with a LOT of shorter term contracts. They will also seek to acquire 2/3 'names' they can market in the region.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
We're definetly not gonna lose a top 4/5 Dman for free that's for sure.

LOL were the third worst team in hockey and every islander fan thinks were going to lose everyone. We might lose 1 player in total. Maybe. everyone relax and stop over rating our guys lol

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
LOL were the third worst team in hockey and every islander fan thinks were going to lose everyone. We might lose 1 player in total. Maybe. everyone relax and stop over rating our guys lol

Not only might we lose only one player, but we are definitely only going to lose one player. And, there is no "maybe" to it. Every team loses one player. I think that is the point. Different guys are worrying about losing particular players, not that we are going to lose more than one. Hickey, de Haan, Nelson, Strome, Lee, Pulock, Cizikas...are the main guys I've seen talked about.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Hickey a solid bottom pairing guy on a boarderline playoff team to me, not someone who should be on a team destined for the playoffs. His lack of size is a huge problem in physical games/series and he gets out worked and out muscled in the corners way too much. He's fine now since I think we're still some time away from being a Cup contender, but I feel he'll eventually be pushed out of the lineup and off the team with guys like Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield and the CHL guys coming up.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Hickey a solid bottom pairing guy on a boarderline playoff team to me, not someone who should be on a team destined for the playoffs. His lack of size is a huge problem in physical games/series and he gets out worked and out muscled in the corners way too much. He's fine now since I think we're still some time away from being a Cup contender, but I feel he'll eventually be pushed out of the lineup and off the team with guys like Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield and the CHL guys coming up.
The sooner the better. Tire Fire!

LongIslanders

Feb 28, 2017
I've liked Hickey, but he needs to be perfect on defense to justify his roster spot. He isn't big enough and isn't offensive enough to be granted the slack to make the mistakes he's been making of late.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
While watching players scoring against the Islanders on recap videos, Greiss always goes for the water bottle in the side of his mouth as Hickey skates across the screen with the "I just got burned again" look on his face.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
For a long time, I've been somewhat ambivalent when it comes to Hickey. Always saw him as a Leddy without the wheels, but he seemed like a smart player that uses his smarts to somewhat make up for his lack of size.

I've started to sour on him this season though. I think there are better options on this team at this point.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Been a Hickey defender from the start, but something doesn't seem right this year. He seems a step slower, and he's usually a heady player, but that play he attempted which led to Rick Nash's goal last night was infuriating. I don't know what's going on. Let's hope Cappy and McPhee take him for Vegas :sarcasm:

dannibalcorpse

Feb 28, 2017
Never been a fan, his play has gone down the tubes this year. #FreePulock

do we think he's hurt and playing through it? he's still only 28 so I can't picture this being him getting too old and losing a step, but he's definitely looked off for the last few games.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Been a Hickey defender from the start, but something doesn't seem right this year. He seems a step slower, and he's usually a heady player, but that play he attempted which led to Rick Nash's goal last night was infuriating. I don't know what's going on. Let's hope Cappy and McPhee take him for Vegas :sarcasm:

Common....no one is that dumb. What would it take for LV to take Hickey? An additional 2nd? A first?

How about MVS or PW and Hickey? Would anyone do that?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Will next year finally be the year that we roll out this D corp:

Leddy - Boychuk
CdH - Hamonic
Pelech - Pulock
Mayfield

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Will next year finally be the year that we roll out this D corp:

Leddy - Boychuk
CdH - Hamonic
Pelech - Pulock
Mayfield

Hamonic just isn't a second pairing defender and should be anymore. He should get bottom pairing minutes and that's it, IF he is even on the team next year. Hes been atrocious this season.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Hamonic just isn't a second pairing defender and should be anymore. He should get bottom pairing minutes and that's it, IF he is even on the team next year. Hes been atrocious this season.

Don't we have to wonder whether he's been dealing with some injury, or something, all year long?

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
Don't we have to wonder whether he's been dealing with some injury, or something, all year long?

Remember last year when everyone was rioting saying we should trade Boychuk, then we found out he was dealing with a nagging injury? Same as Ladd the first half of this year..

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Remember last year when everyone was rioting saying we should trade Boychuk, then we found out he was dealing with a nagging injury? Same as Ladd the first half of this year..

Couldn't agree more, guys in or coming into their prime do not just fall off so dramatically without an underlying reason. I'd bet dollars to donuts the explanation will be given in the summer on Hammer.

Last edited:

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Couldn't agree more, guys in or coming into their prime do not just fall off so dramatically without an underlying reason. I'd bet dollars to donuts the explanation will be given in the summer on Hammer.

Mmmmm, donut.

Also I concur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad