Thomas Duba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's with Plzen in the Czech Republic.

I've followed his career but have never seen him play, but the few that have are very high on him. He's supposed to be a really good talent.

He approached Penguins management this past summer about turning pro, but it fell through. I think he'll be over next season, likely in the AHL. Could be a strong backup for the Penguins, and eventually a good starter for someone else.

http://www.hokej.cz/index.php?searc...ani&lng=CZ&webid=7&id=0&menu=menu_2_2&action=

Here's his stats along with the rest of the goaltenders in the league. I don't take stats that seriously, but he's right up there. He's been on some poor teams since being drafted, constantly seeing a barrage of rubber. He doesn't seem to mind.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Jacobv2 said:
I've followed his career but have never seen him play, but the few that have are very high on him. He's supposed to be a really good talent.

I watched him play for two years for my team. Didn't really impress me. Might even be the most inconsistant goalie I have ever seen. Sure, he didn't play in a top team, but I've watched many goalies play excellent for us, like Jussi Markkanen and Niklas Bäckström. Don't think very highly of him, and don't think he'll ever make the NHL.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Wouldnt he earn more money in Czech Rep? Plus is there space in the AHL affiliate?

bruins4777*

Theres one poster who has this guy in his avatar, I'd really like to see what he says....

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
bruins4777 said:
Theres one poster who has this guy in his avatar, I'd really like to see what he says....

OK, I'll bite. Like Jacob, I haven't seen the guy play. I'm just a Pens fans who's read nothing but glowing reports on the guy (before seeing Diaboli's post, anyway). Like Diaboli mentioned, consistancy was an issue when he was in Finland. However, he also played on the worst team in the league and was used WAAAAY more than most goalies of comparable age (he played 47 games, while guys like Lehtonen, Lehto, and Niittymaki played a LOT less. Lehto is closest with, 37 GP, while I think Lehtonen played 23, and Niittymaki (who's 3 years older, btw), played 27).

Diaboli mentioned Markkanen and Bäckström being standouts for SaiPa, but Markkanen was a year older than Duba during his first year year in the FNL (which at that age is HUGE for goalie development) and I can't get Bäckström's DOB, but he'd been in the FNL for 4 years prior to his stint with SaiPa, so you can bet he was a good deal older than Duba.

I can't say from viewing him first hand, but the guy is reported to have big time skills and I think age and fatigue probably factored into his inconsistancy.

That said, the reports I've read indicate that he's been absolutely dominating the Czech Extraleague these days and has been posting some pretty obscene stats. He seems to have cooled off lately, but, hey, he's still very young and he has a huge amout of upside to tap into. I feel his absolutely ridiculous streak at the beginning of the season was just a hint of things to come from him. I think he has the talent to be a very good #1 goalie in the league.

If we ever lose Fleury for some strange reason (God forbid) I'm reasonably comfortable putting my faith in Duba. And if not, I think he'll make a helluva a backup (hopefully on par with the Hurmes, Legaces, and Pruseks of the league).

Anyway, just my two cents. Feel to disagree, comment, critique, flame, whatever. :)

edit: I also just wanted to mention that I feel he's an EXTREMELY underrated prospect here at HF (see the avatar) and he deserves to get talked about more than he does. Thanks to bruins47777 for starting this thread, because I'd like to hear more about the kid too. Also, I know there's at least one more PEns fan with a Duba avatar. I'd like to hear from him too.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Duba might have become more consistant, how should I know. I'm just talking about his years here in Finland...

Well, I don't think we had the worst team in those years, but in '99 we did have the worst team in the league. Where did we finish in the league that year? 4th.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Diaboli said:
Duba might have become more consistant, how should I know. I'm just talking about his years here in Finland...

Well, I don't think we had the worst team in those years, but in '99 we did have the worst team in the league. Where did we finish in the league that year? 4th.

According to hockeydb.com, Duba played for Saipa in the 01-02 season and they finished dead last.

Again, he was very young, and while playing on a last place team he probably saw an awful lot of rubber (maybe you can even vouch for this), which can really wear a young goalie down.

edit: i just did the math, and my God, was he seeing a lot of rubber that year. 32 shots a game. :amazed: I think we can all agree that's a lot for a 19 year old kid playing in a professional league.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
I should also add that this year, gaudy stats and all, he's STILL seeing 30 shots a game in a comparable league playing for a slightly better than average team. I know stats don't tell the whole story, but I really think that these numbers combined with what I've read about him this year indicate that he's definitely a keeper (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad