Value of: Thomas Chabot

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think Senators fans have a better idea of how good Karlsson is than you do.
Makes no/little sense from an Ottawa POV to be adding a very expensive 34 year old before even making the playoffs. They're looking for a defensive guy, EK is nearly the opposite of what they're looking for on their blueline right now.

They aren't winning anytime soon, EK isn't getting any younger.

If they look to be making a run in the next year or three and the Pens are still stuck with the contract, then it may make sense.

Reactions: bert

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ottawa used Alfredsson on the point in the early 2000's, and the whole league was essentially using a D on the point on PP1 in 2010. Forwards accounted for over 70% of PP time leaguewide in 2010, indicating 1 less D on PP1, increasing every year since 2010 to about an extra ~6/7%

Ovechkin has been on the point since his first game in the league in 2005, teams have been doing that for an extremely long time. It's become the go to setup for the vast majority to use since 2008 if I were to hazard a guess.

Since Chabot has been in the league, it's been a 1D PP setup exclusively.

4F1D, didn't become the dominant form of PP unit until the 2015-2016 season. 70% also doesn't indicate 1 less D on PP1 being:

...the PP set up the vast majority of the NHL has used for close to 2 decades...

It indicates that some teams were using the 4F1D. Which is true, teams have used it for a while, but generally based on injuries or making use of specific personnel.

Rise-of-4F1D-PP-units.png

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The talent level difference between the two is more significant than the age difference between the two.

I think Karlsson for Chabot close to straight up would be much more reasonable.

I think Chabot would have more value around the league than Karlsson at this point.

4F1D, didn't become the dominant form of PP unit until the 2015-2016 season. 70% also doesn't indicate 1 less D on PP1 being:

It indicates that some teams were using the 4F1D. Which is true, teams have used it for a while, but generally based on injuries or making use of specific personnel.

Rise-of-4F1D-PP-units.png

That's more of what I thought has been happening in recent years but I didn't see any stats confirming it.

It's been easy to see with the numbers for top PP QBs skyrocketing in the past 5 years or so.

It wasn't too long ago that a defenseman putting up a PPG was practically unheard of in the modern NHL. Green did it a couple years passing to prime Ovie and then Karlsson came around and won a Norris trophy accomplishing the feat with little help, but now their numbers look pedestrian in comparison to D nowadays.

Now there are a dozen of them because it's really easy to rack up assists when you're QBing the PP from the top and PPs have become even more effective with the new set-up and entries have become more successful with the drop back play.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I've been pretty down on Chabot the past couple of years but he looks so much better with Martin over DJ Smith. Still has some bad turnovers in his own end but he's been much better than Chychrun in that regard this year.

I don't think he moves simply cause it'd be selling him low.

Chychrun has been worse defensively but has put up more offence with less PP opportunities. Which is A) not a need for Ottawa and B) more valued in the trade market.

Chychrun is the much better guy to move right now with his low cap hit, and Ottawa should be looking to land a #3/4 defensive RHD in return. Matt Roy is the dream but he won't sign in Canada. I've been waiting for this Chychrun for Roy+Kaliyev trade but doubt it happens.

LA keeps getting linked to Chyrchrun (I think you value is bang on) but I do not get it. With Clarke and Spence the last thing LA needs is another offensive defenseman.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot is without a doubt better than Chych

Chych has the much better contract for the next year and a half
Do not agree, Chabot has been Charmaine soft this year. No compete, not committed. Both players are inconsistent, Chychruns game when fully engaged is way more conducive to playoff success.

Chabots been better since he was finally benched. If he keeps this up then great, he finally is realizing his potential. I won't hold my breath though.

Chychrun has been playing his offside much of it with a completely irratic Chabot. Hard to find consistency with that set up.

The raw and natural physical talent of both Chabot and Chychrun is elite. I feel like a team can have 1 of them and they can thrive especially with the correct RHD partner. But both and it gets messy especially when they play together. They play the same role. Too bad Dorion was incapable of seeing this before he traded for chychrun.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chabot (or Chychrun) for Karlsson would be a horrible trade for Ottawa.
100 percent makes absolutely no sense with the core age of the roster and Karlsson is not the style of RHD they are missing.

The talent level difference between the two is more significant than the age difference between the two.

I think Karlsson for Chabot close to straight up would be much more reasonable.
For Pittsburgh absolutely see how you would like it.

Makes no/little sense from an Ottawa POV to be adding a very expensive 34 year old before even making the playoffs. They're looking for a defensive guy, EK is nearly the opposite of what they're looking for on their blueline right now.

They aren't winning anytime soon, EK isn't getting any younger.

If they look to be making a run in the next year or three and the Pens are still stuck with the contract, then it may make sense.
100 percent accurate take.

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
At full salary does Thomas Chabot still have positive trade value?? (4 more seasons at 8M)

Genuinely asking. He's having an okay year but there's been injury issues over the last 3 seasons.

59GP, 68GP, 50GP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad