Value of: Thomas Chabot

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What would you trade for Thomas Chabot? Pick? Prospect? Player with a similar contract? What would you trade for this offensive minded LD. Tons of natural talent, need a change of scenery. Makes 8 million on the cap has 5 years including this one. 10 million real dollars moving forward for the final 4 years.

He has 18 points in 31 games this year and is plus 3. That's a 48 point pace playing around 24 minutes a game.

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Send him to San Jose for a haul
Now why would SJ do that?
Besides him under performing on that long expensive contract, SJ made it clear when they traded Timo that due to the salary requirements compared to where the team was, that it didn't make economic sense to spend that kind of money. And at the time, Timo was our top goal scorer.
Oh! Just what constitutes a haul?

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Now why would SJ do that?
Besides him under performing on that long expensive contract, SJ made it clear when they traded Timo that due to the salary requirements compared to where the team was, that it didn't make economic sense to spend that kind of money. And at the time, Timo was our top goal scorer.
Oh! Just what constitutes a haul?
Will Smith is going to need defensman who can transition the puck

Reactions: bert

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
He’s overpaid at this point. Who knows, maybe he can turn it around next year. Players do have off years, but it’s no reason to trade them at their lowest value. Marky was considered negative value (albeit from HF trolls) but this year he’s turned his game around and reclaimed his status as a legit above average starter. So Chabot at this point has more value to Ottawa because they would have a difficult time trading him for good value.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not a good time to sell on Chabot unless the Sens are adding assets/taking cap dumps
I'm open to all concepts of deals. Another player that has talent that needs a change of scenery around the same age I'd be ok with. Someone who's underpeforming. A rd ideally but can be a forward or a goalie.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s overpaid at this point. Who knows, maybe he can turn it around next year. Players do have off years, but it’s no reason to trade them at their lowest value. Marky was considered negative value (albeit from HF trolls) but this year he’s turned his game around and reclaimed his status as a legit above average starter. So Chabot at this point has more value to Ottawa because they would have a difficult time trading him for good value.
They have a log jam at LD. His NTC kicks in this summer. It's a bad distribution of money right now and I believe Chychrun is a better fit at this point. Even though the team plays Chabot more and he has better metrics. Eye test for me prefers Chychrun for this team. They have to make a decision sooner rather than later on one of them as Chychrun is gonna be a UFA after next season.

What about Chabot and Bostons first for Hertl? Chabot is younger, less term probably fits into the timeline better more of a flexible contract to move later on.

Last edited:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I've been pretty down on Chabot the past couple of years but he looks so much better with Martin over DJ Smith. Still has some bad turnovers in his own end but he's been much better than Chychrun in that regard this year.

I don't think he moves simply cause it'd be selling him low.

Chychrun has been worse defensively but has put up more offence with less PP opportunities. Which is A) not a need for Ottawa and B) more valued in the trade market.

Chychrun is the much better guy to move right now with his low cap hit, and Ottawa should be looking to land a #3/4 defensive RHD in return. Matt Roy is the dream but he won't sign in Canada. I've been waiting for this Chychrun for Roy+Kaliyev trade but doubt it happens.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Probably doesn't have much value given his contract. He makes 8M per for 4 more years but his average salary is actually 9.5M.

Steady decline in his play since his excellent sophomore season and the value of offensive D has never been lower with the new PP set up.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Sens need to move Chabot or Chychrun for a top 4 right shot D, plain and simple. Shutdown type ideally to allow Sanderson and whichever remains to wheel. Could also be for a pick or prospect and Norris is moved for the D. Boston’s first should be on the table as well

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Probably doesn't have much value given his contract. He makes 8M per for 4 more years but his average salary is actually 9.5M.

Steady decline in his play since his excellent sophomore season and the value of offensive D has never been lower with the new PP set up.
What new PP set up?

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
meier jumps to mind. but that makes things complicated for nj's blueline.

having a top 4 of chabot, hamilton, hughes and nemec would be pretty sick tho

• Love
Reactions: Play

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sens need to move Chabot or Chychrun for a top 4 right shot D, plain and simple. Shutdown type ideally to allow Sanderson and whichever remains to wheel. Could also be for a pick or prospect and Norris is moved for the D. Boston’s first should be on the table as well
That's the dream. Chabot is finally benched and held accountable and he has his two best games of the season. What a concept. He plays like that and teams will line up to deal for him.

I'm sorry but what

Even if you really really want to trade Chabot you don't do this...ever
Watch Chicago play don't just look at charts. RHD have the most value of any position in hockey. Jones is way better than the fancy stat watchers will ever understand. The eye test matters.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
The Sens should definitely trade Chychrun instead of Chabot. They need to trade 1 of them, as you can't put all your eggs in 1 basket (LHD). Sanderson is clearly their #1 as he is truly 2-way, very good defensively and offensively. And the Chychrun - Chabot pairing doesn't work well, as each player struggles defensively in his own zone when playing the right side.

When they first got Chychrun, my opinion was that he is better than Chabot.

But after this season, I consider Chabot to be quite a bit better than Chychrun. Chabot's skating, puck movement, and passing is quite a bit better, and elite. Chychrun is a good player, but Chabot is clearly better.

With the Sens playing a Jacques Martin system (held Dallas to 15 shots, haven't seen the Sens defend like this for 20 years), and not the chaos of DJ Smith, Chabot really stands out as a really good player. Without the chaos, Chabot makes far fewer defensive mistakes and giveaways, amazing how a good system helps players to thrive.

The only things Chychrun does better than Chabot: harder shot, bigger and more physical, although he isn't particularly physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad