DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would have moved Chabot last summer

I'm not sure that this
Sanderson Zub
Chychrun Brannstrom
Kleven JBD

With Hamonic as the 7D isn't at least as capable as what we have had this year.

You've got 5 guys that kill penalties. 3 guys that can play on a PP. And you've increased the nasty factor

Let's say the RHD is same caliber as Chychrun but more defensive for comparison's sake

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - RHD
Kleven - Brannstrom
JBD

>>>

Sanderson - Zub
Chychrun - Brannstrom
Kleven - JBD
Hamonic

Reactions: DrEasy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Let's say the RHD is same caliber as Chychrun but more defensive for comparison's sake

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - RHD
Kleven - Brannstrom
JBD

>>>

Sanderson - Zub
Chychrun - Brannstrom
Kleven - JBD
Hamonic
Why don’t you add the same RHD to both scenarios?
Then it’s a choice if chychrun or chabot.

Personally, I think it might come down to which guy fits in with the group better. Including big input from the coaching staff.
The $$ will work itself out. The individual play is comparable.

Reactions: Alex1234

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why don’t you add the same RHD to both scenarios?
Then it’s a choice if chychrun or chabot.

Personally, I think it might come down to which guy fits in with the group better. Including big input from the coaching staff.
The $$ will work itself out. The individual play is comparable.

Not sure why you ask this... I was comparing it with the squad proposed in the post I quoted.

Chabot's transition game and play driving (in all zones) is immensely better, Chychrun has that big shots and creates a lot of offense with it, can play much better defensively than he has this season, maybe he was injured for a while. I personally like Chabot better because of his poise and transition is the key in the NHL.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
between the two, I’m keeping Chychrun and trading Chabot. I’m not sure who will return more value (maybe chychrun) but I think he’s the overall better player and Chabot is far too injury prone to be reliable enough to play the meaningful games. Bonus is that he’s been around the longest, if we really want staois and company to break up the country club and send a shock to the system and put the team on notice…then that’s Chabot easily
This ^

Bobby Ryan referred to this in his podcast with Brent Wallace about this prevalent country club atmosphere.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
between the two, I’m keeping Chychrun and trading Chabot. I’m not sure who will return more value (maybe chychrun) but I think he’s the overall better player and Chabot is far too injury prone to be reliable enough to play the meaningful games. Bonus is that he’s been around the longest, if we really want staois and company to break up the country club and send a shock to the system and put the team on notice…then that’s Chabot easily
Up until this year, Chychurn has been the more injury prone player.

Reactions: Xspyrit

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If Brannstrom is still on this team next season than the defence won't improve at all, they have to move on from him asap.
There's a few ways you can look at how to improve

One way would be to say you're going to allocate more of your cap to D and therefore I'll l improve

Another way would be to say I'm going to get more out of what I've allocated to D and therefore I'll improve

I don't think you can look at Brannstrom's cap hit and expect much more. He's not on an ELC so the sub 1M is out. What I've heard talking heads say recently is that he's likely due a raise so he might be gone. What I've seen written is a Mendes article about 6 weeks back identifying Sanderson, then Brannstrom then Joseph as the top 3 guys in terms of outperforming their contracts.

So, if you're not going to allocate more cap space to D, then you've got to get more out of the cap space you are allocating if you're wanting to improve. But neither the talking heads nor the writers think that's an issue with Brannstrom. Both are pointing to Brannstrom as delivering value for his cap.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

One way would be to say you're going to allocate more of your cap to D and therefore I'll l improve

Another way would be to say I'm going to get more out of what I've allocated to D and therefore I'll improve

I don't think you can look at Brannstrom's cap hit and expect much more. He's not on an ELC so the sub 1M is out. What I've heard talking heads say recently is that he's likely due a raise so he might be gone. What I've seen written is a Mendes article about 6 weeks back identifying Sanderson, then Brannstrom then Joseph as the top 3 guys in terms of outperforming their contracts.

So, if you're not going to allocate more cap space to D, then you've got to get more out of the cap space you are allocating if you're wanting to improve. But neither the talking heads nor the writers think that's an issue with Brannstrom. Both are pointing to Brannstrom as delivering value for his cap.
My opinion is based on his play, he's weak defensively & doesn't bring enough offensively & IMO Kleven brings more of what this team needs on defence & therefore Brannstrom is no longer needed & it saves them a million bucks.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

No I think it’s more about having some tougher D on defense, the team is too soft in their own zone, so I’d be looking for a bigger tougher D for all of the third pairing.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
This ^

Bobby Ryan referred to this in his podcast with Brent Wallace about this prevalent country club atmosphere.
Yeah because Jakob "never throw a hit" Chychrun is such a gamer.

Both guys have problems being too nonchalant at times. At least with Chabot you have someone who has shown in a Sens jersey to be capable of being a solid two-way dman for long stretches of hockey, unlike Chychrun.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Yeah because Jakob "never throw a hit" Chychrun is such a gamer.

Both guys have problems being too nonchalant at times. At least with Chabot you have someone who has shown in a Sens jersey to be capable of being a solid two-way dman for long stretches of hockey, unlike Chychrun.
Chabots big part of the culture of country club atmosphere. It's the losing culture that's been ingrained into this org with no expectations from above, letting players run the show and collect their cheques. This country club atmosphere had led to players being "okay" or "cool" with not making the playoffs because they still have their big fat contracts LOCKED IN $10,000,000.00 no matterwhat ... playoffs or not.

Chychrun hasn't been here long enough, he can be part of the culture shift.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Chabots big part of the culture of country club atmosphere. It's the losing culture that's been ingrained into this org with no expectations from above, letting players run the show and collect their cheques. This country club atmosphere had led to players being "okay" or "cool" with not making the playoffs because they still have their big fat contracts LOCKED IN $10,000,000.00 no matterwhat ... playoffs or not.

Chychrun hasn't been here long enough, he can be part of the culture shift.
What has Chychrun done that has given you the impression that he can be a part of that? Again, Chabot has been exactly what we need him to be many many times during the time he's been here. Chychrun has not demonstrated anything of value in a Sens uniform outside of his offensive game. So I'm really confused as to why you think he could be a part of the culture shift.

Chychrun is a supporting player, and a one-dimensional one at that, you don't shift your culture by expecting your supporting players to change their games. You do it by demanding your core players do, and then surrounding that core with supporting players that play the style you want the team to play.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Chabot is a young 27 years old, Crookshank is 24 years old and people are excited to watch him grow and become an NHl’er.

Chabot’s best hockey is in front of him. Hes got 10 years of excellent hockey ahead of him. He’s going to improve and be better everywhere

The franchise kinda burnt Chabot out by playing him 27 minutes a night and toold him he had to do it alone every night. That takes its toll especially when you don’t get results. Chabot has to learn to be more impact in 24 minutes and not 27, but you love his heart and his will.

But let’s get this guy a real consistent RD partner like Methot / Zub for 2-3 seasons and see how much he improves. He’s played with every rookie and crappy washed up guy for the last 8 years.

Chabot needs support like Stutzle and Sanderson and Brady and Pinto do - let’s get him a RD and watch him be elite

Last edited:
Reactions: guyzeur

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Omg. The arguments in here.

Chabot is a "young" 27. Pretty sure I've read in here countless times his problem is he's been played to death and is now a one speed player.

Chabot is exactly what we need him to be. What we need him to be is a guy that can put his team on his back and lead us to the playoffs. But as expectations around this team have elevated, the ONLY thing elevated along with those expectations are Chabot's trips to the IR. His play, when he plays, has deteriorated.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
What has Chychrun done that has given you the impression that he can be a part of that? Again, Chabot has been exactly what we need him to be many many times during the time he's been here. Chychrun has not demonstrated anything of value in a Sens uniform outside of his offensive game. So I'm really confused as to why you think he could be a part of the culture shift.

Chychrun is a supporting player, and a one-dimensional one at that, you don't shift your culture by expecting your supporting players to change their games. You do it by demanding your core players do, and then surrounding that core with supporting players that play the style you want the team to play.
Steve Staios needs to increase operational efficiency with this team.

Your not going to do that by keepin Chabot , he's not engaged and is cool with not making the playoffs.
To drive change effectively he needs players that will be engaged to drive change. With Chabot collecting his cheques, he's too comfy and so is the room. Staois has to strike at this country club core as everyone is Wayyyyyy to comfortable with their Long term deals.

Can't trade Norris always injured
Won't wanna trade 7, 18, nor 85.

Leaves Chabot (core)

And
Batherson (who I'd keep)

Need to effect change. Simply praying that changing complimentary pieces with a new coach will do a difference isn't effective change strategy at hitting at this Country Club Core. That you really need to shake out of the room.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Just because the coach ran a light pre season doesn’t mean the team is comprised of country club players. I get the impression that the core players would enjoy working hard and getting better and individuals and as a team.

I’d like to see Sandy, Chabby, and Kleven on the left side, Zub, new top 4 RD, new vet RD (who can still bring it), and JBD on the right.

Chych can return assets, and Bran can hopefully get a shot elsewhere. I don’t dislike Branny, I just think we can do better on the bottom pairing in terms of the teams needs.

Replace Kubalik with a solid vet 200 foot player and we are already looking like a better team.

Replace Forsberg with a different Tender (1st try for the new group), and a super awesome new coaching staff that is ready to win games not make friends, and we’re set.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
With number 6 playing much better in the last 10 games, I think and feel that Chabot has been here for so long that we already know what we can get out of him. He is getting a little older and has been more injury-prone this season. To be honest, I am really torn on who to keep between 72 and 6. Staois is in for some major back lash either way.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Chabot is a young 27 years old, Crookshank is 24 years old and people are excited to watch him grow and become an NHl’er.

Chabot’s best hockey is in front of him. Hes got 10 years of excellent hockey ahead of him. He’s going to improve and be better everywhere

The franchise kinda burnt Chabot out by playing him 27 minutes a night and toold him he had to do it alone every night. That takes its toll especially when you don’t get results. Chabot has to learn to be more impact in 24 minutes and not 27, but you love his heart and his will.

But let’s get this guy a real consistent RD partner like Methot / Zub for 2-3 seasons and see how much he improves. He’s played with every rookie and crappy washed up guy for the last 8 years.

Chabot needs support like Stutzle and Sanderson and Brady and Pinto do - let’s get him a RD and watch him be elite
5 years with DJ Smith would also screw up the best D in the league

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
With number 6 playing much better in the last 10 games, I think and feel that Chabot has been here for so long that we already know what we can get out of him. He is getting a little older and has been more injury-prone this season. To be honest, I am really torn on who to keep between 72 and 6. Staois is in for some major back lash either way.
Willing trading partners and the return will be decisive factors if both are on the table.

Reactions: Dionysus

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
IF you can find a way - and I know Bert and others have pointed out that it would be very difficult, you can make one heck of a left side - while adding one legit top 4 RD. The problems are $$ and where are you putting Kleven.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Now do Chabot😁
Are we actually comparing Chabot & Brannstrom? Chabot has proven in the past he is 100 times better than Brannstrom although he has made a lot of mistakes this yr, but he's also but injured on & off a lot this yr. It's not that long ago he had a 50 pt season, do you think Brannstrom can put up 50 pts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad