Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Chabot out 4 weeks minimum
Ya turns out, that was the initial MRI, minimum 4, Chabby couldn’t believe it was the that long, for how he feels , so asked for second opinion, came back the same timeframe.

Maybe DJ was right, toughest player he coached for playing injured.

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Poor Chabby. Dude can’t catch a break with the injuries. Too bad cuz he looked great in his first game back.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brannstrom doesnt make enough room on the cap for the team though. Thats the issue, D men are also very important a scoring winger is way easier to replace.

i agree Dman are more important that’s why they need someone in Brannstrom spot who can get 3 points in 20 games but actually block shots, hit people, win corner battles and clear space.

Brannstrom just doesn’t get it done, I watched him closely last night and so Many pucks from on his stick end up being dead plays, icings, incomplete passes, just not much coming from his play In any category

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i agree Dman are more important that’s why they need someone in Brannstrom spot who can get 3 points in 20 games but actually block shots, hit people, win corner battles and clear space.

Brannstrom just doesn’t get it done, I watched him closely last night and so Many pucks from on his stick end up being dead plays, icings, incomplete passes, just not much coming from his play In any category
Branny isn't the problem

Its Hamonic. We need a better version of Hamonic to replace Hamonic. No surprise that Branny looks much better away from Hamonic and Chychrun looks like ass beside him now

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both Hamonic and Brannstrom are a problem, neither should be here next year, but we are essentially guarantied Hamonic
Hamonic as a 7th to warm the bench and come in for injuries is probably ok at his cap hit. He just shouldn't be a regular every night guy at this point.

Brannstrom is providing positive value imo. I don't see him as a long term fit, but until Kleven is ready I'm happy to have him with us.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean, the team is a long shot at best to make the playoffs. Moneypuck has them at 8%, 6th worst in the league atm. Best odds you’ll find is ~1/4

Trading for expensive UFA’s is without a doubt not on tap for the Sens this year.
They will likely want quality futures first or a quality younger roster player. I think we saw enough of the rushing it by giving up futures in 2021 and 2022.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
I feel like this guy is underappreciated. Even I started to get a negative perspective of him because his mistakes can look so obvious/be so dumb. But without him we have suffered a lot and our winning percentage is much worse. It's no coincidence. Sanderson is great but at this point Chabby is still our most important D.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I feel like this guy is underappreciated. Even I started to get a negative perspective of him because his mistakes can look so obvious/be so dumb. But without him we have suffered a lot and our winning percentage is much worse. It's no coincidence. Sanderson is great but at this point Chabby is still our most important D.

Very curious to see what several months under a defensive oriented coach will do for him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Looking forward to Chabot coming back. Chabot helps with the zone exits. Having someone to headman the puck to in our zone will be a nice change.
for him.

I expect Chabot will be upbeat and be a leader wrt changes being asked.

Last edited:

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

Brannstrom's main skills of skating and passing will never be fully utilized on this team due to the guys ahead of him. As well he doesn't fit the third pairing shutdown and PK role because he doesn't hit and gets pushed around by bigger guys. If the Sens can replace him with a better version of a Hamonic type guy they should do that.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Looking forward to Chabot coming back. Chabot helps with the zone exits. Having someone to headman the puck to in our zone will be a nice change for him.
Chabot is a far better player than his replacement, (JBD) and will help the team immensely when he is back. That being said he still has a number of warts in his defensive game and hopefully JM can fix them.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Sens will need to shed some cap space to get Chabot back. Joseph is not on IR according to Cap Friendly, Chartier is (775k) so if he's not back he'll take up some available Cap ... Should be interesting . Maybe the Sens have a move coming.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Sens will need to shed some cap space to get Chabot back. Joseph is not on IR according to Cap Friendly, Chartier is (775k) so if he's not back he'll take up some available Cap ... Should be interesting . Maybe the Sens have a move coming.

Cap gymnastics:

Chabot in / JBD down to BSens (I hope JBD is an injury call up so he doesn't have to clear waivers but can't recall). Truly an unfortunate situation with Hammer's NMC.
Joseph in / Smejkal down to BSens. I like Smejkal but he doesn't have to clear waivers, no cap to keep him.
Chartier sent down to BSens as soon as he is available. He played better than Kastelic who is coming around under new coaching.
McEwen sent down to BSens as soon as he is available. Pig shit Dorion anchor for another 2 seasons argh!

A trade or two may be in the offing before Pinto's back in 3-weeks. Kubalik's the odd man out because of his salary as a projected 4th liner when the roster is fully healthy. If push came to shove, he can also be sent down (temporarily/until next IR case) if there are no trade interest for him in the market. Andlauer may need to eat some salaries this season for non-roster players (McEwen, Kubalik), which I think he will if it came to that. Sending someone like Kubalik down may also allow the team to keep 7D (JBD stays) plus Pinto (at his qualifying offer).

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Cap gymnastics:

Chabot in / JBD down to BSens (I hope JBD is an injury call up so he doesn't have to clear waivers but can't recall). Truly an unfortunate situation with Hammer's NMC.
Joseph in / Smejkal down to BSens. I like Smejkal but he doesn't have to clear waivers, no cap to keep him.
Chartier sent down to BSens as soon as he is available. He played better than Kastelic who is coming around under new coaching.
McEwen sent down to BSens as soon as he is available. Pig shit Dorion anchor for another 2 seasons argh!

A trade or two may be in the offing before Pinto's back in 3-weeks. Kubalik's the odd man out because of his salary as a projected 4th liner when the roster is fully healthy. If push came to shove, he can also be sent down (temporarily/until next IR case) if there are no trade interest for him in the market. Andlauer may need to eat some salaries this season for non-roster players (McEwen, Kubalik), which I think he will if it came to that. Sending someone like Kubalik down may also allow the team to keep 7D (JBD stays) plus Pinto (at his qualifying offer).
The Sens could buyout both McEwen ( $238,000 x 3 years ) anf Hamonic ( #370,000 x 2 very cheaply at the end of the season.
Kubalik can be traded fairly easily as he is on the expiring deal.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Chabot is a far better player than his replacement, (JBD) and will help the team immensely when he is back. That being said he still has a number of warts in his defensive game and hopefully JM can fix them.

Hamonic has to come out and JBD has to play. Hamonic was re-signed (with a NMC!) by Dorion and now he's gone. Hamonic wears his heart on his sleeve and that's cool but he should not be a regular if the other 6 guys are healthy

Cap gymnastics:

No way JBD clears waivers this time. He only did in "waivers season" (after training camps) because he was still massively unproven and not productive in pro hockey

Many other smarter ways to manage the situation. I would send any of Kelly, MacEwen, Chartier, Smejkal and Crookshank to the AHL before.

Heck, I'd even waive UFA Kubalik before putting JBD on waivers.

The Sens could buyout both McEwen ( $238,000 x 3 years ) anf Hamonic ( #370,000 x 2 very cheaply at the end of the season.
Kubalik can be traded fairly easily as he is on the expiring deal.

Don't need to buy out MacEwen, or any player making 1.050 AAV (IIRC). Just bury him in the minors. Unless another team wants him for FC or on waivers

Last edited:

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
Send down McEwen, Chartier and Kelly.

Trade Kubalik and Brannstrom to Arizona for Travis Boyd, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Tkachuk - Stutzle - Batherson
Tarasenko - Norris - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Joseph
Smejkal - Boyd - Crookshank
x- Kastelic

Chabot - Chychrun
Sanderson - Zub
Kleven - JBD
x- Hamonic

Korpisalo
Forsberg

We would have like... 22K in cap space... and solidify the fourth line C.

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad