Player Discussion Thomas Chabot (D) Extended 8 years 8M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Fantastic contract. Far better than I expected.

Well done Dorion.

Looks like Chabot really likes Ottawa.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yep, these are all valid points. But credit where credit is due: it's a good signing and a good sign for the team's future.

Continued skepticism is warranted in my view, given the ****-show clown ride we've been watching for the past few years. But at least we're seeing steps in the right direction, which has not been the case for some time.

Hard to be unhappy about this, even if it's not completely swaying people in terms of regaining full confidence in the management.
Good post.

A definite step in the right direction, but quite a few more will be needed before confidence is restored.

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yep, these are all valid points. But credit where credit is due: it's a good signing and a good sign for the team's future.

Continued skepticism is warranted in my view, given the ****-show clown ride we've been watching for the past few years. But at least we're seeing steps in the right direction, which has not been the case for some time.

Hard to be unhappy about this, even if it's not completely swaying people in terms of regaining full confidence in the management.

I'm the biggest Dorion hater but this is an incredible signing.

He's still an awful GM though.

I'm wondering if Chabot signed because he saw an opportunity to become the captain and face of an NHL franchise. Something that carries a great amount of prestige and something which he wouldn't be guaranteed in other places.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
This signing definitely gives me a bit of hope. I'd like to see the front office filled out some. That would be encouraging.

Reactions: czechcanadian

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
ROENICK THINKS CHABOT MAKES TOO MUCH, JUST LIKE THE GUYS BEFORE ROENICK THOUGHT OF HIM

For a guy who started his career making $115,000 and had to wait until he was 31 to make the kind of money Chabot will make when his extension kicks in next season, Jeremy Roenick sounded a little like the old man yelling at the clouds.

Roenick thinks Chabot makes too much, just like the guys before Roenick thought of him - TheHockeyNews

73b131e3f3d53a99388605426724e946.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Since there's no bonus structure, little trade protection, and they have to hit the floor, this isn't really proof in itself Melnyk will spend. Its a start, but that issue can't just be put to bed.

I will however give Dorion full marks for getting that deal. He's the guy that deserves the kudos here imo.

It's not proof that we will spend to the cap.

But it is proof that we can retain our stars and commit big money to individual contracts. That was something which was rightfully in question prior to this contract (and to a much lesser extent the White contract)

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I don’t see that. I think by years 4-8 of that contract he won’t be earning his money.

I love Stone, but the slow player who can still be elite doesn’t exist. He’s at his peak now and he’s fine, at 31 he’ll start to slow down - the hockey sense will still be elite but I think his production will start to drop consistently after 31

Joe Thornton put up 82 points at 36 years old. Maybe Stone won't be as good as he is now, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's still one of the best forwards in the league in 5 years.

Reactions: saskytaxi

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

But it is proof that we can retain our stars and commit big money to individual contracts. That was something which was rightfully in question prior to this contract (and to a much lesser extent the White contract)
Good point.

To be fair, the surprise is more that the stars would commit here.

The Sens, as Ruszowski pointed out, are obligated to spend to the cap floor and this move helps fulfill that fact. This contract puts their payroll at 41M, with 7.5 M of that to Gaborik and buyouts.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Does it not seem though like Chabot just gave in to their own demands of no bonus structure whatsoever despite having the leverage to get it? Can we expect others to do the same and essentially give discounts?

That's why I give Dorion all the credit on this. He didn't convince Melnyk to spend more necessarily, he just convinced the player to agree to a contract that I think most of us assumed would not be an issue for even Melnyk.

By all accounts one of the main sticking points with the UFA's was the lack of bonus structures (or not enough) and the unwillingness to grant nmc's. This time it seems like the player just chose to play by their rules.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Does it not seem though like Chabot just gave in to their own demands of no bonus structure whatsoever despite having the leverage to get it? Can we expect others to do the same and essentially give discounts?

That's why I give Dorion all the credit on this. He didn't convince Melnyk to spend more necessarily, he just convinced the player to agree to a contract that I think most of us assumed would not be an issue for even Melnyk.

By all accounts one of the main sticking points with the UFA's was the lack of bonus structures (or not enough) and the unwillingness to grant nmc's. This time it seems like the player just chose to play by their rules.
Good post.

Not sure why Chabot’s agent wouldn’t instruct him to use his leverage, but really happy Thomas wants to be a Senator so badly he would give a hometown discount.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I mean, the bonus structure contracts are hard to argue for on their own merits. You can use the few bone headed deals handed out as comparables, but on their own merits they are pretty unfair from a work compensation point of view.

Nowhere else would you get a few years of work paid for before a single days work, get guaranteed pay even if you sit out a year, and in general have most of your contract paid out unattached to the work produced.

I understand that there are a few deals, mostly from Toronto, to consider as maybe the way forward, but it’s nice to see that there are now several deals that show a different way.

TC obviously wanted to stay in Ottawa, but he’s not exactly taking a hit in terms of compensation for his work. He has some deferred lockout protection money, good compensation for his current level of play, and a solid QO number in 9 years when his deal is up.

It looks like a player that was happy to be fairly compensated for his play, while also being willing to fit into/create a pay structure for a small market rebuilding team.

Nylander, Matthews, and Marner all really took it to the leafs, those deals all look like ‘me, me, me’ deals with a real focus on putting the team over the barrel to maximize every cent while giving as little as possible in return.

I think TC’s deal really speaks to his character, as well as his commitment to his team, and young core teammates. It’s nice to see that TC, White, and BT really are close friends.

I’d say that TCs deal is going to make BTs deal a lot smoother sailing next year. A template has been set by White and TC, to be fairly paid, but also to commit to the team. I think team character and identity is really important, especially for us.

I’m hoping that the mercenary manner of the leafs stars in contract dealings will bleed over to their on ice play. Greedy individual play, doomed to overspend for first round exits when the ranks close come playoff time.

Morning thoughts, go Sens!

Reactions: Sen sational

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Good point.

To be fair, the surprise is more that the stars would commit here.

The Sens, as Ruszowski pointed out, are obligated to spend to the cap floor and this move helps fulfill that fact. This contract puts their payroll at 41M, with 7.5 M of that to Gaborik and buyouts.

I like this point. While their are always a few bad contracts floating around to get you to the cap floor, Ottawa had to reinvest some money here in regular roster players anyway.

It doesn't take away from the fact that both Chabot and White contracts appear to be good deals, and I'm happy that the organization was able to take a couple big steps up the mountain after throwing themselves off the cliff over the last couple of years.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I mean, the bonus structure contracts are hard to argue for on their own merits. You can use the few bone headed deals handed out as comparables, but on their own merits they are pretty unfair from a work compensation point of view.

Nowhere else would you get a few years of work paid for before a single days work, get guaranteed pay even if you sit out a year, and in general have most of your contract paid out unattached to the work produced.

I understand that there are a few deals, mostly from Toronto, to consider as maybe the way forward, but it’s nice to see that there are now several deals that show a different way.

TC obviously wanted to stay in Ottawa, but he’s not exactly taking a hit in terms of compensation for his work. He has some deferred lockout protection money, good compensation for his current level of play, and a solid QO number in 9 years when his deal is up.

It looks like a player that was happy to be fairly compensated for his play, while also being willing to fit into/create a pay structure for a small market rebuilding team.

Nylander, Matthews, and Marner all really took it to the leafs, those deals all look like ‘me, me, me’ deals with a real focus on putting the team over the barrel to maximize every cent while giving as little as possible in return.

I think TC’s deal really speaks to his character, as well as his commitment to his team, and young core teammates. It’s nice to see that TC, White, and BT really are close friends.

I’d say that TCs deal is going to make BTs deal a lot smoother sailing next year. A template has been set by White and TC, to be fairly paid, but also to commit to the team. I think team character and identity is really important, especially for us.

I’m hoping that the mercenary manner of the leafs stars in contract dealings will bleed over to their on ice play. Greedy individual play, doomed to overspend for first round exits when the ranks close come playoff time.

Morning thoughts, go Sens!
Chabot is an UFA at the end of the deal.

Bonus money is relatively standard for star players. Chabot taking a deal without them is unusual and indicates he took a hometown discount.

Your suggestion that the BT negotiations will go smoothly is supported by White and Chabot’s action/friendship, but severely undermined by his brother’s negotiations with the Flames.

The Leafs contracts do suggest a selfishness within the group. However, they have the financial clout to spend to the cap every year and make bad contracts go away.

saskytaxi

Feb 13, 2019
sasky
If Sens had kept the core together from the cup run no way chabot gets this deal. Look at mcavoy.. stop acting like were finally hanging on to star players hes an RFA. It was a no brainer for him.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I agree, we do need more of this. I'm less inclined to suggest that this signing alone (or even this one and White's) does much to establish the organization's credibility - I didn't lose faith in the organization over one or two bad/questionable decisions, and I won't be sucked back in due to one or two good ones (though neither hurt, happy both deals got done).

Jury's still out as far as I'm concerned.

Fair enough, but you have to start somewhere. And no better way than these two pieces. The jury is still out, I didn’t t exactly say that they are back to what we are accustomed to, but it is a heck of a start

Reactions: Blotto71

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Chabot is an UFA at the end of the deal.

Bonus money is relatively standard for star players. Chabot taking a deal without them is unusual and indicates he took a hometown discount.

Your suggestion that the BT negotiations will go smoothly is supported by White and Chabot’s action/friendship, but severely undermined by his brother’s negotiations with the Flames.

The Leafs contracts do suggest a selfishness within the group. However, they have the financial clout to spend to the cap every year and make bad contracts go away.

No bonus money is different for sure, though he obviously got compensation in other ways, but the Toronto bonus money is not the norm, as we have seen by all of the other deals signed this off season.

Not really. His contract negotiations will more likely be affected by his best friends and peers on his own hockey team, than why is happening with his brother on another team.

I expect that he’ll get a contract that he deserves, and it will look a lot like the other two structure-wise.

I think TC took a hometown deal in terms of structure, as the Sens can’t throw around that amount of money at the start of each year, and I suspect he also took some responsibility in setting the team structure for the core players going forward. If this is going to work, and this team is going to compete long term, players are going to have forgo some of the things they could get in TO, like 80% of your salary in bonus money, and not even have to give the team term.

Love what it says about TC, White. I think BT and the rest will do the same.

You’re welcome to think otherwise of course. I remember arguing with folks over the last while about how close the team was and how TC loved Ottawa and the core guys. I was told that he would jump at the chance to play in MTL, and that the guys weren’t that tight.

Turns out they are, from the horse’s mouth, and it looks like more than anything they want to build this thing from the ground up together. And why wouldn’t they? It’s not so often that a group of friends gets to build a team in their mold from the ground up in the NHL, has the potential to be something special in the making.

Exciting times!

Reactions: Crosside

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If Sens had kept the core together from the cup run no way chabot gets this deal. Look at mcavoy.. stop acting like were finally hanging on to star players hes an RFA. It was a no brainer for him.

How many other guys in his situation have we watched sign that commitment deal this summer?

It’s a far bigger commitment from both sides than any other of the teams and players have shown.

It’s a big deal beyond the Sens drama, and typical RFA status.

This is obvious, at least to me.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
ROENICK THINKS CHABOT MAKES TOO MUCH, JUST LIKE THE GUYS BEFORE ROENICK THOUGHT OF HIM

For a guy who started his career making $115,000 and had to wait until he was 31 to make the kind of money Chabot will make when his extension kicks in next season, Jeremy Roenick sounded a little like the old man yelling at the clouds.

Roenick thinks Chabot makes too much, just like the guys before Roenick thought of him - TheHockeyNews

73b131e3f3d53a99388605426724e946.jpg

Man, Jeremy Roenick can go kick rocks.

I've probably met a decent chunk of NHL "talking heads" during my time at the arena back in the day. Got an opportunity to meet Roenick when we hosted the All Star Game.

Imma pass on Roenick, thanks. HARD pass.

Reactions: Variable26

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
How about those comments from Garrioch tonight on this contract. They told TC they weren't offering any bonuses, so don't even try. That could prove to bite them if they think they get to set the market and dig their heels in the sand on issues like this or trade protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad