THN's NEW prospect report (Toronto)

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I checked my mail and found I received a new Hockey News mag last night which was their annual prospect report issue, and I thought I would share were we are league wide.

Notes:
-The top-50 prospects are considered A-prospects, 51 to 75 are considered B-Prospects and the rest are C's and D's.
-Your average NHL player would be rated a C.
-This year 17 NHL scouts and various GM's contributed.
-Players who have played, or are playing enough quality minutes to assume they will play 50 NHL games are not considered prospects any more, so guys like (Trouba/Maata/Lindholm and Rielly) aren't included, otherwise i'm sure Rielly, who was formerly 14th, would be near the top this year.
-The grading system has to do with a teams entire pool of prospects, so a team like Pits with two A prospects sits 19th overall while Florida with only one A level prospect can sit 3rd, or Carolina with ZERO A or B level prospects sits 6th.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (Rank 28th)

"No risky business; Leafs haven't hit one out of the park, but they've restocked bare cupboards.

If you were to pick one word to describe the Toronto Maple Leafs' philosophy at the draft, it would have to be "Safe". After years of trading away picks and prospects, the organization's focus has been to restock the cupboards by taking low-risk, low-reward players instead of trying to swing for the fences. That was certainly the case with 2013 first-round pick Frederik Gauthier, who the Leafs project as a No.3 center. 'You have to rate the risk-reward factor versus a guy you know is going to be an asset," said Dave Morrison, Toronto's director of amateur scouting. "He might not be flashy, but you know he'll be an asset."

Our Top-10 Prospects

#1 Frederik Gauthier, C, 18, Rimouski (QMJHL) Ranked 61st of top 75
Teams can overvalue their prospects. But the Leafs are realistic about Gauthier's future. "Is he going to be a big scorer in the NHL?" Morrison said. "Probably not. But he's going to help us win hockey games." Gauthier projects to be a third line center. That might not sound like much for a first-round pick, but it was the role he played for Canada at the world juniors, where he killed penalties, took defensive zone faceoffs and was used in a shutdown capacity.

#2 Matthew Finn, D, 19, Guelph (OHL)
A year ago, Finn finished outside the top 30 among OHL defenseman in scoring. This year, he is in the top three. What's the difference? "He's healthy," said Morrison. Finn missed 27 games and played through Mononucleosis last season. Now the Guelph captain is on his way to joining Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner on a young Leaf blueline. "He's having a terrific year on a terrific team," Morrison said. "He has the potential to be on the power play."

#3 Andreas Johnson, LW, 19, Frolunda (Swe.)
The Leafs do not take many chances, but they took a gamble on Johnson when they selected him in the seventh round. So far, it's paying off. The forward, who recently made the jump to the Swedish League, is having a breakout year after helping his country reach the final at the world juniors. "He's a small player, but protects the puck well and has a high IQ," Morrison said. "He has the ingredients that will help him over here."

#4 Connor Brown, RW, 20, Erie (OHL)
When the Leafs selected Brown in the sixth round, all anyone talked about was his minus-72 rating. Two years later, he was the first to reach 100 points in all of major junior. While playing with projected 2015 top pick Connor McDavid has helped, the two have been split up for half the season. "I don't think it's just McDavid," Morrison said. "In Browns draft year, he had 53 points as a 17-year old out of tier-II. So, it's not unexpected."

#5 Petter Granberg, D, 21, Toronto (AHL)
You'd think Granberg, who matched up against Steven Stamkos at the world championship, would be an NHL'er by now. But the Leafs have been patient, keeping him in Sweden for three years before bringing him to North America. Now, it is just a matter of waiting for a roster spot. "A year ago, he looked like he was going to be an NHLer," Morrison said. "We didn't know how long it would take to make the transition. By the looks of it, it won't be long."

#6 Andrew MacWilliam, D, 23, Toronto (AHL)
The stay-at-home defenseman's game is about punishment. "He hits to hurt," Morrison said.

#7 Greg McKegg, C, 21, Toronto (AHL)
Ice time limited during the lockout, but McKegg is aiming to become a point-per-game scorer in the minors.

#8 Josh Leivo, LW, 20, Toronto (AHL)
A right-handed left winger like Joffrey Lupul. Toronto sees top-six potential with this power forward.

#9 Tyler Biggs, RW, 20, Toronto (AHL)
Compared to Milan Lucic on draft day, Biggs is developing into more of a fourth-liner.

#10 Stuart Percy, D, 20, Toronto (AHL)
Doesn't hit or score, but he possesses sufficient hockey IQ to become another Carl Gunnersson.

Last edited:

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'd definitely rearrange the order, especially with Leivo and Percy being too low.

Other than that good read - fun to see some future NHL players here

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I checked my mail and found I received a new Hockey News mag last night which was their annual prospect report issue, and I thought I would share were we are league wide.

Notes:
-The top-50 prospects are considered A-prospects, 51 to 75 are considered B-Prospects and the rest are C's and D's.
-Your average NHL player would be rated a C.
-This year 17 NHL scouts and various GM's contributed.
-Players who have played, or are playing enough quality minutes to assume they will play 50 NHL games are not considered prospects any more, so guys like (Trouba/Maata/Lindholm and Rielly) aren't included, otherwise i'm sure Rielly, who was formerly 14th, would be near the top this year.
-The grading system has to do with a teams entire pool of prospects, so a team like Pits with two A prospects sits 19th overall while Florida with only one A level prospect can sit 3rd, or Carolina with ZERO A or B level prospects sits 6th.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS (Rank 28th)

"No risky business; Leafs haven't hit one out of the park, but they've restocked bare cupboards.

If you were to pick one word to describe the Toronto Maple Leafs' philosophy at the draft, it would have to be "Safe". After years of trading away picks and prospects, the organization's focus has been to restock the cupboards by taking low-risk, low-reward players instead of trying to swing for the fences. That was certainly the case with 2013 first-round pick Frederik Gauthier, who the Leafs project as a No.3 center. 'You have to rate the risk-reward factor versus a guy you know is going to be an asset," said Dave Morrison, Toronto's director of amateur scouting. "He might not be flashy, but you know he'll be an asset."

Our Top-10 Prospects

#1 Frederik Gauthier, C, 18, Rimouski (QMJHL) Ranked 61st of top 75
Teams can overvalue their prospects. But the Leafs are realistic about Gauthier's future. "Is he going to be a big scorer in the NHL?" Morrison said. "Probably not. But he's going to help us win hockey games." Gauthier projects to be a third line center. That might not sound like much for a first-round pick, but it was the role he played for Canada at the world juniors, where he killed penalties, took defensive zone faceoffs and was used in a shutdown capacity.

#2 Matthew Finn, D, 19, Guelph (OHL)
A year ago, Finn finished outside the top 30 among OHL defenseman in scoring. This year, he is in the top three. What's the difference? "He's healthy," said Morrison. Finn missed 27 games and played through Mononucleosis last season. Now the Guelph captain is on his way to joining Morgan Rielly and Jake Gardiner on a young Leaf blueline. "He's having a terrific year on a terrific team," Morrison said. "He has the potential to be on the power play."

#3 Andreas Johnson, LW, 19, Frolunda (Swe.)
The Leafs do not take many chances, but they took a gamble on Johnson when they selected him in the seventh round. So far, it's paying off. The forward, who recently made the jump to the Swedish League, is having a breakout year after helping his country reach the final at the world juniors. "He's a small player, but protects the puck well and has a high IQ," Morrison said. "He has the ingredients that will help him over here."

#4 Connor Brown, RW, 20, Erie (OHL)
When the Leafs selected Brown in the sixth round, all anyone talked about was his minus-72 rating. Two years later, he was the first to reach 100 points in all of major junior. While playing with projected 2015 top pick Connor McDavid has helped, the two have been split up for half the season. "I don't think it's just McDavid," Morrison said. "In Browns draft year, he had 53 points as a 17-year old out of tier-II. So, it's not unexpected."

#5 Petter Granberg, D, 21, Toronto (AHL)
You'd think Granberg, who matched up against Steven Stamkos at the world championship, would be an NHL'er by now. But the Leafs have been patient, keeping him in Sweden for three years before bringing him to North America. Now, it is just a matter of waiting for a roster spot. "A year ago, he looked like he was going to be an NHLer," Morrison said. "We didn't know how long it would take to make the transition. By the looks of it, it won't be long."

#6 Andrew MacWilliam, D, 23, Toronto (AHL)
The stay-at-home defenseman's game is about punishment. "He hits to hurt," Morrison said.

#7 Greg McKegg, C, 21, Toronto (AHL)
Ice time limited during the lockout, but McKegg is aiming to become a point-per-game scorer in the minors.

#8 Josh Leivo, LW, 20, Toronto (AHL)
A right-handed left winger like Joffrey Lupul. Toronto sees top-six potential with this power forward.

#9 Tyler Biggs, RW, 20, Toronto (AHL)
Compared to Milan Lucic on draft day, Biggs is developing into more of a fourth-liner.

#10 Stuart Percy, D, 20, Toronto (AHL)
Doesn't hit or score, but he possesses sufficient hockey IQ to become another Carl Gunnersson.

Get rid of Franson and Ranger in the summer and have Finn and Granberg make the team. Both seem ready. At some point we're going to have to make a transition with this kids. Finn and Granberg are ready or at least seem ready.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Cue the "the Hockey News is a joke" comments. Interesting read, thanks.

I think guy's like Campbell and Proteau are a joke myself, though Bob MacKenzie started our with THN so they all can't be bad. But it is a report from NHL scouts/GM's, THN didn't have any input on the rankings.

And I see our prospects as a good thing even if we are 28th, our C level are no worse then someone like Anaheim, these are NHL calibre players. I predict Fin will be rated as a B to A next year, Goat as an A aswell. And Johnson is rising fast.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
And i'm dying for MacWilliam to make the jump, 6'2 230 and hits like a truck, he apparently cracked a guys sternum in college with a clean hit, the sternum is the breast plate, the strongest bone in the body.

*Edit: Femur, stand corrected.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
But it is a report from NHL scouts/GM's, THN didn't have any input on the rankings.

And I see our prospects as a good thing even if we are 28th, our C level are no worse then someone like Anaheim, these are NHL calibre players. I predict Fin will be rated as a B to A next year, Goat as an A aswell. And Johnson is rising fast.

Being 28th of 30 teams is a good thing?

Our Leafs might have some future NHLers, but the ranking suggests almost everybody else has them as well and better.

Its hard to close the competitiveness gap on teams with a prospect pool ranked near the bottom.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Our Leafs might have some future NHLers, but the ranking suggests almost everybody else has them as well and better.

Its hard to close the competitiveness gap on teams with a prospect pool ranked near the bottom.

No kidding. I mean, look at Montreal's prospect pool. All but one or two of them are going to be top six forwards or top 4 defencemen.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Yes, it is good. And that's not just because i'm an optimist, we are "Re-stocking" and are in a better position they we have been in the past.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Percy behind MacWilliam is pretty bad. But that was a good read. They are underrating Leivo and Percy a lot though.

No surprise we are falling in the rankings for prospect quality. Most of our young players are on the Leafs and recently graduated.

I'm happy with the progression of a lot of our prospects.

Last edited:

Cotton

May 13, 2013
No kidding. I mean, look at Montreal's prospect pool. All but one or two of them are going to be top six forwards or top 4 defencemen.

Montreal is 7th with one A-forward, the rest of their forwards are C's.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Montreal is 7th with one A-forward, the rest of their forwards are C's.

I was referring to their HF ranking, where until the last update, all but I think 3 of their prospects were 7's or higher. They still only have 4 below 6.5.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I was referring to their HF ranking, where until the last update, all but I think 3 of their prospects were 7's or higher. They still only have 4 below 6.5.

The Hockey News is compiled with the help of NHL employed scouts and GMs.

No offense intended to those that volunteer to do the HF rankings but I don't believe they have the same qualifications.

The Leafs prospects in the THN appear to be ranked and commented on by Leafs Director of Amateur Scouting Dave Morrison.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Holy underrating of Stuart Percy. I'm very confident he will be a great top 4 defenseman.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Hockey News is compiled with the help of NHL employed scouts and GMs.

No offense intended to those that volunteer to do the HF rankings but I don't believe they have the same qualifications.

The Leafs prospects in the THN appear to be ranked and commented on by Leafs Director of Amateur Scouting Dave Morrison.

The comments made there on some of the prospects were made throughout the year, mainly just after the draft. A lot of those things I've read months and months ago.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The comments made there on some of the prospects were made throughout the year, mainly just after the draft. A lot of those things I've read months and months ago.

They also said the Johnson broke out after the WJC, which isn't the case at all. He broke out before that and after the WJC he was hurt and returned to U20.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
And i'm dying for MacWilliam to make the jump, 6'2 230 and hits like a truck, he apparently cracked a guys sternum in college with a clean hit, the sternum is the breast plate, the strongest bone in the body.

Agreed. I was hoping he'd stick with the team coming out from training camp, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. We have too many softies on the blue line, even with the addition of Gleason. Other than Franson and Phaneuf, we have very little sandpaper.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
seems pretty fair. Who on that list is a lock to be a top end NHL producer?

I think the blurb was fairly accurate. We got a bunch of guys who likely top out at 3rd or 4th line or bottom pair D. missing the studs that a lot of teams have coming through the system.

But you need to have those guys in your system so you don't have to pay for them in free agency. Keep doing that for five years and we will be in much better shape as an organization.

Ace88*

Get rid of Franson and Ranger in the summer and have Finn and Granberg make the team. Both seem ready. At some point we're going to have to make a transition with this kids. Finn and Granberg are ready or at least seem ready.

Lol ok there. Finn is playing in the OHL, how on earth is he ready for the NHL. He doesn't even know what professional hockey feels like yet.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

That's actually the femur, but yeah, the guy will wreck you.

Puzzled they have Percy so low. I like what I've seen from Granberg in the AHL this year. Team leading +18. Have to think he'll be in the NHL sooner rather than later.

We've both been following prospects long enough to know that amateur rankings bear little towards actual results.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Percy and Leivo are too low while I feel MacWilliam and Biggs are being overrated. Still, I am excited about the future of the blue-line. It will be nice to see a shift in defense to younger, faster, and hopefully smarter guys.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They also said the Johnson broke out after the WJC, which isn't the case at all. He broke out before that and after the WJC he was hurt and returned to U20.

The quotes from Morrison were recent. The blurb from THN were. Also, I said throughout the year, so I'm sure some exerts were taken around the WJC's too, you know.

Seems rather simple.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Um....Your FEMUR is the strongest bone in your body.

But I'd like to see what WacWilliam can do as well.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Leivo 8th and Percy 10th....

lol

I mean on what planet is Macwilliam ahead Percy on? People just don't do their research, It's embarrassing.

That is all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad