THN's Ken Campbell notices that Cassie Campbell's husband is Flames AGM

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I guess I don't see why he needed to be called out for it or why it was so "ill-advised".

Seems like a bunch of people want to get upset because Cassie is a woman and heaven forbid a man criticize a woman.

They're upset because her position was deemed "unacceptable", on a basis that is somewhat common in the industry yet he's never made any note of it before. I don't think this is sexist, just incredibly stupid.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sorry that you don't see the issue when even Ken does. But you are wrong.

Just because someone issues a public apology it does not mean that the apology is truthful. From a PR standpoint, calling out a woman in a male dominated industry for conflict of interest is a death wish in this day and age. In his “apology” or “self reflection” he notes that people were calling him sexist and referring to him in the same sentence as Harvey Weinstein. Enough of those comments would make any person retract their statement, whether the statement was appropriate or not.

It really doesn’t matter if you’re right or wrong any more in society, it matters if people get offended by it or not.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
She’s a member of the media. You should disclose if a family member works for a team you’re covering.
Why? This is color commentary for a hockey game. How the hell would this be an sort of conflict of interest? Definition.... A situation that has the potential to undermine the impartiality of a person because of the possibility of a clash between the person's self-interest and professional interest or public interest. Don't see it.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Well Ken campbell is an idiot so him "seeing an issue with it" strengthens my thoughts that he didn't do anything wrong.

That's a reductive way of thinking and probably wrong.

Just because someone issues a public apology it does not mean that the apology is truthful. From a PR standpoint, calling out a woman in a male dominated industry for conflict of interest is a death wish in this day and age. In his “apology” or “self reflection” he notes that people were calling him sexist and referring to him in the same sentence as Harvey Weinstein. Enough of those comments would make any person retract their statement, whether the statement was appropriate or not.

It really doesn’t matter if you’re right or wrong any more in society, it matters if people get offended by it or not.

I've read enough non-apologies to know where there's a recognition of some error. I do not care about the ridiculous blow-back her received, accusations of sexism or the dumb comparisons to Harvey Weinstein. Campbell is not sexist and he isn't an ogre.

You can't invalidate any valid criticism just because its accompanied with a deluge of idiocy. Whats the point of engaging at all then?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Could really careless. The majority of the people working has some sort of tie to somebody in hockey. There are a lot of homers out there, there are also a lot of guys that are the opposite at well.

At the end of the day the networks should be the ones getting rid of people that aren't good. Unfortunately in this case Cassie being a female makes here a bit harder to get rid of.

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
Could really careless. The majority of the people working has some sort of tie to somebody in hockey. There are a lot of homers out there, there are also a lot of guys that are the opposite at well.

At the end of the day the networks should be the ones getting rid of people that aren't good. Unfortunately in this case Cassie being a female makes here a bit harder to get rid of.

Just get rid of her for the colour commentary, she is brutal and adds no value. Just cause she played meaningless olympic hockey with two teams fighting for the championship every 4 years(when womens hockey was in its infancy) and pro womens hockey, which is not the same as a person who played in pros in Mens hockey. Completely different in every single aspect, be it games, travel or experience. All colour analysts in the NHL are ex pros who played or coached in the show, not play by play guys, but colour commentators. Keep it that way. If they need to have a gender equality, she can do interviews. This is a sport played by men, the NHL, so if the integral people are involved with the game are men, thats the way it is. If she wants to be a colour analyst, let her do that for the womens games.

Just because she is a woman should have no bearing on getting rid of her due to her on air talent or playing experience. She isnt qualified nor good enough to be involved as a colour commentator.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm glad he replied the way he did. There are so many conflicts of interest in the game and the ones he mentioned that involved males were given a free pass. He's put a lot of thought into what he did and is more aware of it going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad