thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Very accurate, would agree with all of it except the part that has MacTavish's job on the line.

None if the teams that finished ahead of us got worse in the offseason (you could argue Winnipeg), in fact most of them got better.

We simply haven't improved enough to climb over the teams above us, except for Calgary who played above their level last year.
Best case scenario: Finish ahead of Calgary, Winnipeg, Phoenix
Realistically: Finish ahead of Calgary and one of Phoenix/Winnepeg
Worse case scenario: Repeat of last season

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
We'll finish ahead of Calgary, Phoenix, Vancouver and San Jose. Positivity baby!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we finished ahead of San Jose next season. They've got some good young players, but not enough to off-set the decline of Thorton and Marleau, which is abound to become obvious soon enough given their age.

They've got some good forwards to off-set their loses, but their goaltending and defence isn't the least bit scary.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/thns-2014-15-nhl-season-preview-edmonton-oilers/

THN's Prediction for 2014-15: 6th in the Pacific Division.

Thoughts? I think we'll end up ahead of Calgary and Phoenix and I don't see us far behind Vancouver. If things don't go ideally for Vancouver, we'll end up ahead of them as well.

I also thought their suggestion of Mac-T's and Eakins' ***** both being on the line being the writer stretching it at best.

6th sounds about right

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I wouldn't be at all surprised if we finished ahead of San Jose next season. They've got some good young players, but not enough to off-set the decline of Thorton and Marleau, which is abound to become obvious soon enough given their age.

They've got some good forwards to off-set their loses, but their goaltending and defence isn't the least bit scary.

I'd be shocked.

Thornton and Marleau aren't done yet, Couture/Pavelski are probably 60+ point guys, then there's Wingels/Sheppard/Nieto who all took big steps last year, their D will improve with Burns being back there (and they still have Vlasic/Braun/Demers/a maturing Mueller), and Niemi is still Niemi (or Stalock, either way shouldn't be a REGULAR season problem, playoffs we'll see).

I do think Marleau looked slower last year but he's rebounded from that before, and I thought Thornton was beastly until playoff time.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'd be shocked.

Thornton and Marleau aren't done yet, Couture/Pavelski are probably 60+ point guys, then there's Wingels/Sheppard/Nieto who all took big steps last year, their D will improve with Burns being back there (and they still have Vlasic/Braun/Demers/a maturing Mueller), and Niemi is still Niemi (or Stalock, either way shouldn't be a REGULAR season problem, playoffs we'll see).

I do think Marleau looked slower last year but he's rebounded from that before, and I thought Thornton was beastly until playoff time.

Thorton and Marleau can't keep that pace up forever and when their performance level drops I don't think it'll be as easy for their lighter weights to keep that production up.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Couture had 1 or 2 80+ point seasons in his prime.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Thorton and Marleau can't keep that pace up forever and when their performance level drops I don't think it'll be as easy for their lighter weights to keep that production up.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Couture had 1 or 2 80+ point seasons in his prime.

Thornton had 76 points last season. That's one more than his last full season 2 years ago, and 6 more than his season before that.
Just out of curiosity, how steep do you expect him to fall this season with similar linemates as the last? We can assume Hertl won't be enduring a significant injury this season as well.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Sharks looked really good during the regular season last year. The only reason I see them come crashing down is if there is some kind of issue in the locker room. I'd say there's a greater risk Anaheim has a disappointing season, they're betting on inexperienced guys both on D and in net. I think they'll be fine, but I think there's a greater risk than in SJ that they falter.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The 3 Cali teams are automatic. After that, we are clearly ahead of Calgary and basically in the same conversation with Phoenix and Vancouver. I like our forward depth better than either of those teams, goaltending is pretty even, and our D is the weakest of that bunch. 6th isn't out of the question, but I'll optimistically say 4th. Won't matter though, because both wild cards will come from the other division. Overall in the West, we could be anywhere from 10-13 with VAN, PHX and WPG in the mix (I'm handing Nashville 9th).

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
we're a lock to finish 6th in the division...all California team plus Vancouver and Arizona are better on paper and on the ice

best case: 5th ahead of Arizona and Calgary
worst: dead last again

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
we're a lock to finish 6th in the division...all California team plus Vancouver and Arizona are better on paper and on the ice

best case: 5th ahead of Arizona and Calgary
worst: dead last again

How hard is it to see us finishing ahead of Vancouver?

How many goals are they going to score if the Sedins aren't as good as they were 3 years ago? Who do they have to score goals past them? Sounds to me like they're going to let Horvat and their 2014 1st rounder play this year and I'm not convinced in the least that would be a good idea.

Vancouver has a downright horrible group of forwards past their top three this year.

Edler has looked shaky and Bieska has been a little off of his game over the past few years. There's only so much that they can get out of that group of d-men.

If Edmonton has a decent season, I'm sure they'll beat Vancouver.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Edmonton has the potential to have a solid season. On paper... their group of forwards are above average... and honestly they likely have one of the best top 9s in the league... again on paper. We all know how quickly potential and theoretical strengths can be shot to hell when they actually hit the ice and play the game.

Defense is still a weakness... they improved slightly over last year's squad but not so much that I'd call their D group even close to average.

Goaltending is an improvement over what they started with last season... by a LOT... but that's only because they were so horrendous last year. They are probably a lot closer to a middle of the pack team now in net... again a definite improvement. Personally I think Fasth may pull out ahead and take over the #1 role with Scrivens the backup but we'll see how that plays out.. should be a healthy competition between the two of them.

So above average forwards... below average defense and average goaltending. All adds up to what should be an average season. This team theoretically should be able to climb up the ranks in the West to at least be in the conversation for a wild card spot... or at least look to be in the hunt for a wild card slot late in the season.

Unfortunately I think you are only as strong as your weakest link... and for the Oilers it's the defense... so once again they will underwhelm and underachieve because of the perennial sloping of the ice towards their own end and I don't see that reversing this season with this roster.

McDeathbyCheerios*

IMHO Oilers are in the Lottery again.
Most people are in agreeance. Much improved from last year but not quite enough to make playoffs. I can see us being in 9-11 in the conference. And just out of the bottom 10 in the league.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

How many goals are they going to score if the Sedins aren't as good as they were 3 years ago? Who do they have to score goals past them? Sounds to me like they're going to let Horvat and their 2014 1st rounder play this year and I'm not convinced in the least that would be a good idea.

Vancouver has a downright horrible group of forwards past their top three this year.

Edler has looked shaky and Bieska has been a little off of his game over the past few years. There's only so much that they can get out of that group of d-men.

they brought in Radim Vrbata...a guy who scored 20 goals and 51 points last year
and Nick Bonino had 22 goals and 49 points

that's decent depth

plus I like their defense corps a heck of a lot better than ours...Bieksa, Hamuis and Edler (despite an awful year) is better than anything we have..Tanev is younger and getting better and was a +12...

plus Ryan Miller is a quality proven starting goalie

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Best case scenario, I can see them jumping 6 or 7 spots in the league standings. Fifth in the pacific ahead of Arizona or Vancouver and Calgary. And you know what? I'd be satisfied with that.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Best case scenario, I can see them jumping 6 or 7 spots in the league standings. Fifth in the pacific ahead of Arizona or Vancouver and Calgary. And you know what? I'd be satisfied with that.

By 5th in the Pacific and yet finishing ahead of Arizona, Vancouver and Calgary I'm assuming you mean they finish 4th in the division yet one of the Central teams beats them out for a playoff spot?

This is what I see happening.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
By 5th in the Pacific and yet finishing ahead of Arizona, Vancouver and Calgary I'm assuming you mean they finish 4th in the division yet one of the Central teams beats them out for a playoff spot?

This is what I see happening.

It was one of Arizona or Vancouver.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
MacT has done an awesome job since becoming GM. I honestly believe that if he was the GM since day one that the team would be in the playoffs by now.

As for the upcoming season -- Most of the players know the system and what to expect out of the coach. And if the goaltending can hold up, I think this year will be the biggest improvement since the rebuild took place. It won't be enough to get into the playoffs, but I do see a big jump....I hope. :)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
On paper the Oilers roster is better than the Flames. So 6th in the pacific seems about right. We did have a better team on paper than the Flames last year though and they were much better than the Oilers.

So yeah... 6th. With little chance at being higher than that and a chance that we are lower.

It's gonna be another miserable year unfortunately.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land

This is the breakout year. Vancouver doesn't stand a chance.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think the write up was very fair.

I think the Oilers finish above one of either Vancouver or Arizona though.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
It's really scary looking at the west and seeing the mountain but on the positive side when you go up against better competition you get better yourself. We just need the coaching staff to come with a good plan and systems and get everyone buying in from day 1. Winning some games early in the season and gaining confidence is a big step.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad