THN picking Sharks in six

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl..._medium=email&utm_campaign=thn_daily_20130514

Not sure I agree with much of their assessment, especially saying we don't have the same firepower as San Jose. I'd say we're about even, and we have the best forward in the series in Kopitar. Naturally, I think you don't go against the defending champions, especially when they have home ice. I guess they think St. Louis just wore us out, which I don't agree with. If anything, we got better as that series went along.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl..._medium=email&utm_campaign=thn_daily_20130514

Not sure I agree with much of their assessment, especially saying we don't have the same firepower as San Jose. I'd say we're about even, and we have the best forward in the series in Kopitar. Naturally, I think you don't go against the defending champions, especially when they have home ice. I guess they think St. Louis just wore us out, which I don't agree with. If anything, we got better as that series went along.

They picked us to lose 3 out of 4 of our series last year in 6. Seriously, they might as well be trying to predict the weather. Anything can happen once the games start.

Ron*

They don't pay attention to teams on the Pacific coast during the regular season so the writer had to base his/her predictions on what happened in the playoffs.

Did you notice that?

Given such a small sample size of games, you really can't predict what will happen in the next series. I don't give much credence to what he/she wrote.

"It would be very wise never to count out the Kings." So he/she does it anyway, in a chicken-hearted manner where he/she can go back if the Kings win and say: "See? Never counted them out." :laugh:

Amazing.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA

Especially since San Jose struggled all season to score goals. LA was 10th in scoring and SJ was 24th. So like always, they're throwing darts.

Ron*

They picked us to lose 3 out of 4 of our series last year in 6. Seriously, they might as well be trying to predict the weather. Anything can happen once the games start.

You got me curious so I went to search their results and found the following:

2013:

1st round
Kings vs. Blues

Prediction: Kings in 7
Result: Kings in 6

2012:

1st round:
Kings vs. Canucks

Prediction: Canucks in 6
Result: Kings in 5

2nd round:
Kings vs. Blues

Prediction: Blues in 6
Result: Kings in 4

3rd round:
Kings vs. Coyotes

Prediction: Kings in 6

4th round:
Kings vs. Devils

Prediction: Devils in 6

In the last five playoff series, they have been wrong as to results three out of five times, giving them a success rate of 40%. Not good.

But it really is worse, if you also add in the prediction as to how many games the series will go. You can make (sort of) a mathematical formula for it. Consider: there are only 8 choices to the result of a 7-game series: Team 1 wins in 4, Team 1 wins in 5, Team 1 wins in 6, Team 1 wins in 7, Team 2 wins in 4, Team 2 wins in 5, Team 2 wins in 6, Team 2 wins in 7.

If you apply 12.5% differential to each prediction, you get:

2013:

1st round
Kings vs. Blues

Prediction: Kings in 7
Accuracy: 87.5%

2012:

1st round:
Kings vs. Canucks

Prediction: Canucks in 6
Accuracy: 50%

2nd round:
Kings vs. Blues

Prediction: Blues in 6
Result: Kings in 4
Accuracy: 37.5%

3rd round:
Kings vs. Coyotes

Prediction: Kings in 6
Accuracy: 87.5%

4th round:
Kings vs. Devils

Prediction: Devils in 6
Accuracy: 62.5%

Overall accuracy: 65%

Not good. Not really.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hatter

Microagression King
Jul 9, 2004
Northern Idaho
Guys, It's a pretty safe pick when all is taken into acct. If you dont think the Kings players arent banged up after that war with the Blues then I'm not sure which series you were watching. Also take into account the difference in Offensive production and the look of our defense without Mitchell and Greene it isn't like they are slighting us. It just makes more sense to pick the Sharks in six or seven. With goaltending about even (I still give the slight edge to Quick when he is in beast mode) and if our offense fails to produce like it has been known too I'm not sure why anyone is surprsied with this.

Can anything happen once the puck drops? Sure. But you still always go with the stronger horse and once everything is taken into consideration I think the safe pick is San Jose.

With all of that said Go Kings. I still would have rather the ****** ducks could have taken out the wings and not have had to face the sharks.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
I laugh at all these predictions from the so called experts.

I know one thing for sure is that we should never ever take these games lightly. We seem to struggle against the sharks every year. Am I afraid? Absolutely. But I'm confident that if our team continues to play good defense, heavy forechecking, and quick being, well quick will give us an edge.

GKG.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Especially since San Jose struggled all season to score goals. LA was 10th in scoring and SJ was 24th. So like always, they're throwing darts.

If this were soccer I could see the "in form" argument being applied. But then again, the Sharks played the porous Canucks, not the Blues. Anyway, the prediction of the result itself is reasonable. Our first line will have to at least cancel out the Sharks first line production to win this, unless Richards line goes wild.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Why does anyone care what these so called 'experts' think or predict? Show me just one that had the Kings winning the cup last year from the start....you won't find them.

With that said, I'm going with the Sharks in 6 or 7. They looked real good against VAN, kinda like the Kings did last year.....add to that how they've had the Kings # for years and how they don't lose at home. If the Kings don't take care of business at Staples, they won't win this series.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
As they say predictions means nothing unless you have money or your life on the outcome. Win game one - that's the only thing the Kings and us fans should be concerned about.

We should really appreciate this team winning the cup last year and playing such a tough 1st round vs a very good Blues team. These are good times being a King's fan.

Ron*

Why does anyone care what these so called 'experts' think or predict? Show me just one that had the Kings winning the cup last year from the start....you won't find them.

Mike Johnson at NHL Network picked the Kings to win the Cup before the season started last year. I believe his fellow commentators gave him the "rolly eyes" bit. I don't have a clip of his prediction, but I do remember it well.

However, he also picked the Sharks to win the Pacific Division title this season. So there's that.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=59768

With that said, I'm going with the Sharks in 6 or 7.

Of course you are.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Meh, it is not like the Sharks can't win in 6, and they pull these predictions out of their *****. It is not like there is a science to it, it is just a guess.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Well played sir, well played

graceful_bow.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad