News Article: THN How will the Toronto Maple Leafs change?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Remove Kadri and Gardiner and I'm fine the other 3 moved. Lupul only for the right deal, the other 2 for picks or whatever.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Keep on talking about the stuff that doesn't matter and we might forget about this teams core. This time though they have struck a different cord. It is one of disgust.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Lupul, Franson and Reimer are probably the most likely. Gardiner and Kadri only if a deal that's too good to pass up. Don't expect those two to be moved.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Link:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor-roundup-how-will-the-toronto-maple-leafs-change/

The Hockey News:

There's a lot of references here to Globe and Mail articles and The Toronto Star. However, many Leafs here are listed as candidates to be moved:

Franson
Reimer
Gardiner
Kadri
Lupul

Teams who could be interested in Reimer: Flames, Islanders, and Jets.

Do you agree with these names? Who can we get in exchange?

Foolish to move Gardiner or Kadri, unless it's part of a deal for a major talent at center or a true #1 D.. Reimer and Franson sure, but the yield won't be much. Lupuls injury history and Clarksons contract may mean you have to give Lupul away for cap relief.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
Making changes with Lupul, Franson and Reimer are cosmetic changes, trading one of are all of Gardiner, Kadri and Phaneuf are big moves but not moves we will make. Phaneuf is not going to get traded. Gardiner and Kadri will only be dealt if we are getting a better player out of it. They won't be traded for prospects. So were looking at minor changes if any.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Making changes with Lupul, Franson and Reimer are cosmetic changes, trading one of are all of Gardiner, Kadri and Phaneuf are big moves but not moves we will make. Phaneuf is not going to get traded. Gardiner and Kadri will only be dealt if we are getting a better player out of it. They won't be traded for prospects. So were looking at minor changes if any.

I agree, so the hope I guess is that there is a change in tactics and core philosophy, stubbornness is the hallmark of regime after regime. Still believe that there are many good pieces in place. The retooling of the bottom 6 forwards is a priority. D'Amigo, Ashton, Holland and IMO Komarov should all have a chance to be there. I have always been a fan of Kule but unfortunately his cap hit won't fit. If Bolland wants to come back on a 1 or 2 year deal good but if he's looking for the home run, bye by.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Phaneuf, Clarkson, Franson and Reimer all need to go for sure. I would also look at moving Kadri and possibly Gardiner but only in the right trade that wouldn't hurt us long term. I am on the fence with Lupul he has played way more good hockey then bad as a Leaf and one of the few who actually showed up to play during the collapse. His contract is decent but not a bargain by any means. I love Dave Bolland as a player and he is one of my fav 3rd line centers in the league. Question is what do we do with him.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kadri and Gardiner should not be moved unless the other team is overpaying. Add Bozak and Gleason to that list instead of those two and I completely agree with it.

ForSpareParts*

What is wrong with people?

No one wants _______ player to move. Instead you want to keep the same losers year after year? Why? Because you're used to them? Because you'll miss them? Many of the people mentioned in the article are not important. Gardiner and Lupul will never be hall of famers. Kadri is a 2nd C (his absolute ceiling). So why care so much about a 2nd line C?

Improvements? You don't ever want them Leaf fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Kadri and Gardiner should not be moved unless the other team is overpaying. Add Bozak and Gleason to that list instead of those two and I completely agree with it.

What is this franchise famous for doing when they get antsy about "just not getting into the playoffs"?

They will ship out 23/24 years olds for 26/27 year olds and tell us we are not selling the future , these guys are not in their 30s, yada yada "cut and paste cliché BS"

I smell the return of the bad old days.

ForSpareParts*

^There's another problem! Our fans think it's the Pat Quinn era. No team can afford to sign or trade for veterans and ship out draft picks / prospects. The last guy to do that was JFJ and look what happened.

Yes we need young players but we need veterans as well.

We also need the right young players. I'd love for this team to get rid of the above mentioned uncoachable skilled players for coachable ones.

It
Would
Be
A
Start

BeardsGray

Jan 18, 2014
Fredericton, NB
So why care so much about a 2nd line C?

Chicago fans have been crying about how the Blackhawks need to get a actual 2nd line centre like Kadri. I bet they would love him.

I would rush out and trade a 23 year old centremen that has 50 pts in his first full season and a 23 year old defencemen that can play 20+ mins a night. Unless we get equally talented and young players back.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

ForSpareParts*

Chicago fans have been crying about how the Blackhawks need to get a actual 2nd line centre like Kadri. I bet they would love him.

I would rush out and trade a 23 year old centremen that has 50 pts in his first full season and a 23 year old defencemen that can play 20+ mins a night. Unless we get equally talented and young players back.

Chicago's centre depth is just fine. Who cares if they don't have a toe drag centre who can put up meaningless points. They win cups, they're in the playoffs, and they're competing well against a very good St. Louis team.

Also Kadri has over 164 nhl games. That's not a "1st full season". He's been playing in the pros for 4 seasons now.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
^There's another problem! Our fans think it's the Pat Quinn era. No team can afford to sign or trade for veterans and ship out draft picks / prospects. The last guy to do that was JFJ and look what happened.

Yes we need young players but we need veterans as well.

We also need the right young players. I'd love for this team to get rid of the above mentioned uncoachable skilled players for coachable ones.

It
Would
Be
A
Start

What would your feelings on moving Kessel be? He is, by far, the least coachable player on the team. 0 commitment to two way play and a proven locker room cancer in Boston and under Wilson. 35 goal scorers are valuable but not at the cost of allowing 80+goals against due to lackadaisical defensive play.

Move him for another Clarkson type. Strong jawed good Toronto boy. Gardiner as well, you're right.

ForSpareParts*

What would your feelings on moving Kessel be? He is, by far, the least coachable player on the team. 0 commitment to two way play and a proven locker room cancer in Boston and under Wilson. 35 goal scorers are valuable but not at the cost of allowing 80+goals against due to lackadaisical defensive play.

Move him for another Clarkson type. Strong jawed good Toronto boy. Gardiner as well, you're right.

Almost total confusion.

Thanks for letting us in on your internal dialogue.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Almost total confusion.

Thanks for letting us in on your internal dialogue.

Alright now I'm confused, I'm simply engaging your frame. High skill, young players that are uncoachable should be moved out for late 20s low skill guys. Steen of Stempniak. Rask for Raycroft. Gardiner for Sestito. This is the way to repair this franchise, by your own words.

I'm kidding of course. Gardiner is not uncoachable. But Phil Kessel is. He's an awful player in his own end, and is literally uncoachable, straight from Randy Carlyle's mouth.

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=191879

And a locker room cancer, straight from his own mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG8wgCuQlT0

Funny his name never appears on these lists of players that need to be moved to change the Leafs fortune. 16 minute a night Kadri; get him out of here. The guy who's on the ice for the most goals against? No way! "He's like totally sick and sniping top ched bro, pass me another natty ice" - UofG.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
Alright now I'm confused, I'm simply engaging your frame. High skill, young players that are uncoachable should be moved out for late 20s low skill guys. Steen of Stempniak. Rask for Raycroft. Gardiner for Sestito. This is the way to repair this franchise, by your own words.

I'm kidding of course. Gardiner is not uncoachable. But Phil Kessel is. He's an awful player in his own end, and is literally uncoachable, straight from Randy Carlyle's mouth.

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=191879

And a locker room cancer, straight from his own mouth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG8wgCuQlT0

Funny his name never appears on these lists of players that need to be moved to change the Leafs fortune. 16 minute a night Kadri; get him out of here. The guy who's on the ice for the most goals against? No way! "He's like totally sick and sniping top ched bro, pass me another natty ice" - UofG.

that is BS right there. the "here" part was beating to death and if you watch Kessel's interviews, he always say "here" but doesn't mean it literally. Like, "we have to get it going here" etc. As for the Carlyle clip, you're grasping at straws. Not every player goes in the dirty areas. He can still be a 40 guy the way he plays. Please stop this nonsense.

BeardsGray

Jan 18, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Chicago's centre depth is just fine. Who cares if they don't have a toe drag centre who can put up meaningless points. They win cups, they're in the playoffs, and they're competing well against a very good St. Louis team.

Also Kadri has over 164 nhl games. That's not a "1st full season". He's been playing in the pros for 4 seasons now.

It is his first full 82 game season as a regular in the Leafs line up and his still learning when it is appropriate to use fancy stick handling over simply dumping the puck in or passing it off to someone. We need to be patience with our young players and trading them for veterans would be stupid. That is the reason why the Leafs are always in the bottom of the standings, in the first place.

If we got young talent back in a trade for Kadri or Gardiner, I would be okay with it. But often in those moves one teams will become the clear winner, ie Schenn for JVR. I jus don't want to be on the wrong end of those types of deals. I would give Kadri and Gardiner another year under a different coach before we make a decision on what they are as players.

ForSpareParts*

Stop putting words in my mouth people.

I'm not saying we trade young players for vets.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
In addition to those names, I can't see Bolland back. Florida will sign him long-ish term.
I can't see Kulemin or Rayond back, and it's iffy with McClement
So we're going to see some major changes.
What Shanny does in terms of trades and signings to fll out th team will be interesting to watch. As others have said, I just want team that works-hard and hits the hell out of the opposition. I can live with that. I can't live with a team that doesn't put in an effort, or half-assed one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad