THN - Hockey's Greatest Debates (from 2005)

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I found a copy of THN's "Hockey's Greatest Debates", a special that they released around 2005. (I can't figure out the exact date, but that's my best guess). The voting was done by a panel of 41 writers - though they didn't disclose a list of names. The winner of each category got a two-page write-up, and the runner-up got a shorter blurb. They also showed the results of fan voting (but it didn't say how fans were able to do so).

Here are several of the categories, with some commentary added:

Who is the best player of all-time?

Wayne Gretzky15
Gordie Howe13
Bobby Orr11
Bryan Trottier1
Peter Forsberg1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It's interesting to see how close it is between Gretzky, Howe and Orr. Lemieux failed to get a single vote, which I found surprising, but he'll do well in the next category. Still, it supports my view that he has no case whatsoever for being ranked first all-time.

It's unjustifiable for Trottier and Forsberg (as great as they were) to have received even a single vote.

The fan vote had Gretzky solidly in first, Orr second, then a bit of a gap. Howe was third, then Lemieux fourth. After, Richard was a distant fifth.

Who is the best individual talent of all time?

Mario Lemieux19
Wayne Gretzky16
Bobby Orr6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Essentially a two-way race between the two best offensive talents of all-time, with Orr getting the few remaining votes. Note that Howe gets zero votes here.

Interestingly, the fan vote had Gretzky decisively in first. Lemieux and Orr were next. Very far behind ranked Pavel Bure and Denis Savard.

What was the best dynasty of all-time?

Montreal - 1970's18
Edmonton9
Montreal - 1950's8
NY Islanders6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not overly surprisingly. I still think the Islanders are the most underappreciated dynasty in NHL history.

The fan vote was similar, except the Oilers and 1970s Canadiens were switched. The late 1940s Leafs were a distant 5th.

Who is the best goalie of all-time?

Patrick Roy19
Dominik Hasek7
Terry Sawchuk5
Jacques Plante3
Martin Brodeur2
Ken Dryden2
Glenn Hall2
Vladislav Tretiak1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I'm not surprised to see Roy in first, but his margin of victory was unexpected.

Note that Sawchuk ranks ahead of Plante and Hall; I've written several times about how disappointing his numbers appear to have been from the mid fifties onward, but those who saw him generally seem to rank him as the best goalie of the Original Six era.

Roy dominated the fan selections (with nearly 58% of the vote). Far behind were Sawchuk, Hasek, Plante, and Hall.

Who is the clutch performer of all-time?

Maurice Richard11
Wayne Gretzky10
Mark Messier8
Glenn Anderson2
Mario Lemieux2
Mike Bossy1
Guy Lafleur1
Claude Lemieux1
Adam Oates1
Patrick Roy1
Joe Sakic1
Billy Smith1
Steve Thomas1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
There are some odd choices here - there's simply no reason that Oates and Thomas should get any votes in this category. I'm not surprised to see Richard and Gretzky in a close battle for first - but I was surprised to see just how well Messier does (he's become significantly underrated on HFBoards).

Roy only getting a single vote was unexpected (though he and Smith were the only goalies to get any).

The fan vote was slanted towards the Oilers. Gretzky and Messier ranked first and second (accounting for nearly two-thirds of the votes). Richard was third, Claude (not Mario) Lemieux was fourth, and Anderson was fifth.

Who is the most underrecognized player?

Ron Francis7
Jacques Lemaire3
Grant Fuhr2
Shane Doan2
27 tied (not listed)1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I disagree with these results. Ron Francis wasn't underrated. In fact, in some circles he's become overrated because he was the 4th highest-scoring player of all-time (a good thing, of course, but it was mostly because he played for a long time, much of which was during the high-scoring eighties and early nineties, and most of his best years were with Lemieux and/or Jagr). The answer to this question probably should have been someone who played prior to WWII (Marty Barry would be a good pick).

The fans overwhelmingly voted Francis first (with more than half the votes). Fuhr, Lemaire, Hunter and Goring rounded out the top five. How likely is it that all of the most underrated players of all time played during the 1980s?

It's too bad there wasn't a "most overrated" category - that would have been interesting. Given the timing, I wonder if Jagr (undeservedly) would have won.

Who is the greatest goal-scorer ever?

Mike Bossy16
Brett Hull8
Wayne Gretzky6
Mario Lemieux5
Maurice Richard4
Bobby Hull1
Phil Esposito1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I really disagree with these results. In fact, the top two choices (who got nearly 60% of the votes) have no valid case, in my opinion, for greatest goal-scorer. The argument for Bossy, predictably, is primarily goals per game. They even talk about how he would have scored many more goals had he not gotten injured - without seeming to understand that his per-game average would have dropped as 1) he got older and 2) league-wide scoring dropped. They also noted that Bossy was consistent (which is true) and a clutch performer (also true) - but Bossy can't possibly be the best goal-scorer of all-time since he wasn't even the best goal-scorer of his own era.

I found it surprising that Hull (who was, at the time, the only player in history with seven goal-scoring titles), only got a single vote. How can they possibly rank Brett ahead of Bobby?

The fans selected Gretzky as the greatest goal-scorer, followed by Bossy, Brett Hull, Richard, and Lemieux.

What is the best hockey nation of all-time?

Canada40
Czech Republic1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Almost unanimous. The fans also voted Canada first by an overwhelming margin (89%). The remainder was split between the US, Russia, Sweden and the Czech Republic.

Who is the greatest captain of all-time?

Mark Messier19
Jean Beliveau6
Steve Yzerman5
Bobby Clarke4
Others7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Seven players received one vote each - Slava Fetisov, Scott Stevens, Mario Lemieux, Larry Robinson, Bryan Trottier, Phil Esposito, and Bob Gainey.

Remember, this was after the Vancouver debacle - and Messier still ranks first. Again, he's become underrated on HFBoards.

The fans voted Yzerman first, followed by Messier. Well behind were Beliveau, Clarke, and Stevens.

Which international team was the best?

Canada 198715
Soviet Union 198110
Soviet Union 19769
Canada 19723
USA 19802
Canada 19761
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Note that the Soviets have two of the top three positions (and their top two teams have more combined votes than Canada's top two teams).

The fan vote was pretty similar, but they had Canada's 2002 Olympic team in third. Recency bias?

Who is the most notorious on-ice villain?

Claude Lemieux7
Dave Schultz6
Tiger Williams6
Bobby Clarke3
Tie Domi3
Ted Lindsay3
Ulf Samuelsson2
Eddie Shore2
Others8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The others (with one vote each) were Chris Chelios, Steve Durbano, Bryan Marchment, Marty McSorley, Bob Probert, Eddie Shack, Esa Tikkanen, and Darcy Tucker.

Good choices all around, but only one (Shore) who predates the Original Six era. Sprague Cleghorn deserved at least a few votes.

The fans had Lemieux, Williams, Schultz, Shore and Lindsay in the top five.

Who is the greatest coach of all-time?

Scott Bowman40
Al Arbour1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
I knew Bowman was going to win, but I didn't think it would have been by such a decisive margin.

The fans also voted overwhelmingly for Bowman (82%), but others included Toe Blake, Al Arbour, Bob Johnson, and Dick Irvin.

Who is the best skater ever?

Paul Coffey19
Bobby Orr10
Mike Gartner3
Yvan Cournoyer3
Pavel Bure1
Sergei Fedorov1
Gordie Howe1
Guy Lafleur1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Solid choices all around. The fan vote produced Orr (decisively first), Coffey, Lafleur, Gartner and Cournoyer.

Who is the greatest passer of all-time?

Wayne Gretzky36
Mario Lemieux2
Adam Oates2
Sergei Zubov1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
This one probably should have been unanimous. There's no player in hockey history that has a legitimate argument for being a better playmaker.

Yes, someone actually voted for Sergei Zubov here. Your guess is as good as mine.

The voted Gretzky first (60%), which isn't nearly as high as it should have been. Oates and Lemieux both had double-digit support, while Francis and Gilmour rounded out the top five.

It's interesting how much farther back this was compared to the best goal-scorer category. Not sure if that was simply a formatting decision, or if they were trying to tell us that they valued goal-scoring far more than playmaking.

Who is the best player not in the Hall?

Glenn Anderson7
Cam Neely5
Dino Ciccarelli4
Valeri Kharlamov3
Patrick Roy3
Lorne Chabot2
Bernie Nicholls2
Others11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The eleven players who earned one vote each were Guy Carbonneau, Wayne Cashman, Anatoli Firsov, Ivan Hlinka, Dale Hunter, Erich Kuhnackl, Steve Larmer, Mike Liut, Mark Messier, Dave Taylor, and Roger Vachon.

The top five players (everyone with three or more votes) were inducted in the Hall. The only other players listed above who got inducted were Messier (who probably only got one vote because my guess is he wasn't eligible at the time) and Vachon (a somewhat surprising induction in 2016 - most of us thought his shipped had sailed).

Note that Dick Duff (who is a better than many give him credit for, but was nonetheless considered a shocking selection in 2006) didn't receive a single vote.

The fans voted overwhelmingly for Neely (62%). Ciccarelli, Anderson, Howe and Chabot rounded out the top five. It's true that Neely is a borderline candidate, and his selection gets criticzed a lot nowadays - but there definitely was demand both "establishment" and fan support for him prior to his induction.

Which player has most changed the game?

Bobby Orr21
Wayne Gretzky13
Slava Fetisov2
Patrick Roy2
Jacques Plante2
Bobby Hull1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
All are good choices, but I would have thought that Roy's massive impact on goaltending would have warranted more votes.

The fans voted overwhelmingly for Gretzy and Orr (nearly 80% of the combined votes), with Roy, Fetisov, and Plante trailing.

The magazine also asked a number of questions about historical events and the state of the game:
  • Regarding whether Brett Hull's 1999 Stanley Cup winning goal should have counted, the consensus was "no" both among writers (73%) and fans (66%). Count me in the "no" category too - Hull's goal clearly shouldn't have been allowed, based on the rules in effect at that time. Still, Dallas most likely would have won the Cup anyway.
  • The 1994 SCF between the NY Rangers and Vancouver Canucks was named the best final of all-time. The other SCF series receiving multiple votes were 1971 (Montreal vs. Chicago), 1987 (Edmonton vs. Philadelphia) and 1989 (Calgary vs. Montreal). All of the series selected were from 1950 to 1994, which probably tells you something about the age of the writers.
  • There were two separate questions on the size of the NHL. The first asked when expansion should have stopped. The consensus was at 21 teams (chosen by 59% of writers and 63% of fans). The "fine the way it is" category was chosen by just 17% of writers, but 29% of fans.
  • The second question asked whether the NHL should contract. Again, a clear majority of both groups said "yes" (73% of writers, 62% of fans).
  • Both groups overwhelmingly believed that fighting should be part of the game (78% of writers, 90% of fans).
  • Both groups also thought that the one referee system was preferable to two, but this was less decisive (61% of writers, 57% of fans).
  • There was also a consensus that wood sticks were better than composite (78% of writers, 64% of fans).
  • One of the questions pertains to shootouts. This topic still annoys me. I never understood what was "wrong" with a tie game, nor did I understand why an individual skills competition should decide a team game. (Should the NBA use a slam dunk contest to decide tie games, or should the MLB use a home run derby)? This position was shared by the majority of writers (63%) and fans (59%).
  • It seemed obvious that some changes were coming. No-touch icing was preferred by a clear majority of writers (80%) and fans (73%). Similarly, both groups preferred two-line passing (63% of writers, 63% of fans).
  • There was a split on the question of what ice size should be used. A narrow majority (52%) of fans preferred international, but the writers wanted to keep it as is (56%).
  • There was an interesting split on the question about whether goalies should wear smaller equipment. The writers overwhelmingly preferred that (98% - all but one voted "yes"), but only 73% of fans agreed (still a clear majority, but not as strong).
  • The closest we had to unanimity in both groups was on the question of the number of playoff teams. Both groups said that it should be kept at sixteen (93% of writers, 95% of fans).
  • There was a consensus that suspensions should be based on intent rather than injury (70% of writers, 69% of fans).
  • Both groups wanted the NHL to be at the Olympics (78% of writers, 70% of fans). I would have expected the results to be even higher. I missed Olympics this year.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Interesting, good work as usual.

The goalie list is surprisingly good considering the rest.

Surprised Roy didn't get more love for clutch performer.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I still have that magazine. Interesting to see some of the results again. I think I recall that a lot of frivolous debates were included as well.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Hockey Outsider said:
Yes, someone actually voted for Sergei Zubov here. Your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe they were trolling whoever called Lemieux the greatest captain.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
My favorite of The Hockey News’ special issues because of the disclosure of voting results. Only way to make it better would have been multi-player ballots to minimize the effect of minority picks.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I still have that magazine. Interesting to see some of the results again. I think I recall that a lot of frivolous debates were included as well.

They had a lot of articles based on "what if", which were sometimes interesting. For example, what they asked what would have happened if Lindros played for Quebec. (They speculated he would have won three Harts and three Art Ross trophies; taken the Nordiques to the Stanley Cup finals, but lost; kept that franchise in Quebec; and still retired early due to concussions).

They also speculated that Tretiak would have been a failure in the NHL (due to allegedly poor play in the Summit Series, a not-at-all-biased quote from Bobby Clarke, and speculation that Tretiak had poor technique).

A few more - they thought that the Oilers would have won four or five more Cups if Pocklington didn't break up the team for financial reasons; the Leafs would have cruised to a victory in the 1993 Stanley Cup final if only the call against Gretzky was made; and that Roy probably would have left the Canadiens anyway, even if Tremblay pulled him earlier in that fateful game.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Some good, some odd choices there.

Messier I have never really thought of as a "clutch" player, as such. He seems too high, there. And Sakic too low.

I wonder if, in 2005, the slightly lower ranking of Mario Lemieux and Sakic's not showing up very well in the "clutch" category are because they were still active players?

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I wonder if, in 2005, the slightly lower ranking of Mario Lemieux and Sakic's not showing up very well in the "clutch" category are because they were still active players?

Sakic hadn’t yet broken the OT record and while he had plenty else going for him, Richards had just broken his GWG record for a single playoff run. Might have been bad timing for him to do well in a historical context.

Honestly, I don’t know that he’d do too much better if it was done right now though. Media list-makers usually do him dirty.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Not that they're wrong, But I would have thought Bobby Orr would be first or second in "best individual talent".

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember that magazine. Say all you will about "The Hockey News" the specials they do every yr. are still quite good. I know our very own @seventieslord contributed to 1 last year as well.

plusandminus

Mar 7, 2011
I found a copy of THN's "Hockey's Greatest Debates", a special that they released around 2005.

Canada 198715
Soviet Union 198110
Soviet Union 19769
Canada 19723
USA 19802
Canada 19761
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Note that the Soviets have two of the top three positions (and their top two teams have more combined votes than Canada's top two teams).

The fan vote was pretty similar, but they had Canada's 2002 Olympic team in third. Recency bias?

Here's an example of how we tend to over interpret results that might as well have never occurred.
Two completely even teams met, and played three very even games which might very well have gone either way.
(If I'm not wrong, the "Gretzky to Lemieux" winning goal has even been debated, as some - few/many?? - think there should have been a penalty to a Canadian player..?)

Yet, the winning team is voted as the best team ever, while the losing team gets no votes. (Of course, if choosing the top-2 or top-3 teams, Soviet 1987 might have gotten 2nd or 3rd votes.)
But isn't it at least worse noting how much "either way" things can change history?

What if the Soviets had won? Would they have been voted the best team ever?

Hockey history is full of these things. Really "either way" outcomes. Randomness. A referee or linesman call somewhere.
Like the famous NYR 1994 Stanley Cup win. The semi vs NJD could really have gone either way. "The save" was great, but Stastny really should have scored. And didn't NJD have a goal wrongly disallowed (for kicking?) in one of the games. NJD really could/should have won that series. And then Messier wouldn't have won the Stanley Cup, and instead his legacy with NYR would have been very different. Still the same individual performance by him, but different outcome. 5 Stanley Cups, but only one as a captain. Would he then have become the "greatest leader ever"?

Same with the 1972 Summit Series, that really could have gone either way, and the winner "took it all" and even got 3 votes in the poll above.
Sorry if being this "philosophical" has made me going off-topic. But it's so amazing how we attribute "either way" outcomes.
It's a bit like. "Ha ha, I won at the lottery! Told you so! He he, I sure know how to choose the right lottery ticket(?)". We see it all the time in the after analysis of games.
(I strongly consider luck and randomness to be a significant part of hockey. One lucky bounce, one questional decision by the referee or linesman, etc. Between even teams, randomness often plays a significant role.)

Disclaimer: I see that Soviet 1976 also is high on the list.
And of course, people might have chosen Canada 1987 even if they had lost.

edinson

May 11, 2012
Thanks for sharing that. Great read.

Love the Czech Republic shout. I mean, it's such a weird question to include so you might as well go with a ridiculous answer I guess.

Not sure how Soviet Union 1976 ended up decisively ahead of Canada 1976. Also seems a bit strange that with all the love for the Soviet teams only four voters picked a Soviet for best player outside HoF.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Thanks for sharing that. Great read.

Love the Czech Republic shout. I mean, it's such a weird question to include so you might as well go with a ridiculous answer I guess.

Not sure how Soviet Union 1976 ended up decisively ahead of Canada 1976. Also seems a bit strange that with all the love for the Soviet teams only four voters picked a Soviet for best player outside HoF.
The Soviet Union '76 team must be the Olympic team, which was considerably stronger than their Canada Cup team.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I found a copy of THN's "Hockey's Greatest Debates", a special that they released around 2005. (I can't figure out the exact date, but that's my best guess).

I recall that most of those special editions have been published around late October/early November.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I can verify that my copy says both 1976 in the media vote and player poll.
Thanks. I have to think someone from THN messed up on the date. Either that or 9 out of 40 voters messed up big time. 1979 would make a lot of sense. 1976 is a ridiculous choice.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks. I have to think someone from THN messed up on the date. Either that or 9 out of 40 voters messed up big time. 1979 would make a lot of sense. 1976 is a ridiculous choice.

The 1980 USA team received two votes for best international team ever. I could see them being confused about what team they were talking about but it wouldn't be the only ridiculous choice there.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The 1980 USA team received two votes for best international team ever. I could see them being confused about what team they were talking about but it wouldn't be the only ridiculous choice there.

Well, the 1980 US team at least won. Obviously it doesn't belong in the conversation either, but at least it was one of the biggest stories in hockey history. Which explains why it got votes. But how does one explain that the 1976 Soviet national team got any votes? And more than 1976 Team Canada? There's no explanation other than they got the year wrong.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Well, the 1980 US team at least won. Obviously it doesn't belong in the conversation either, but at least it was one of the biggest stories in hockey history. Which explains why it got votes. But how does one explain that the 1976 Soviet national team got any votes? And more than 1976 Team Canada? There's no explanation other than they got the year wrong.
The '76 Olympic team.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

I assume that they don't mean the 1976 Canada Cup Soviet team, but even if they did it's still a better team than the 1980 USA Olympic team. We already have a ridiculous selection getting votes even if we ignore the 1976 Soviets so I don't know that the 1976 Soviet team getting votes is that noteworthy or necessarily proof of an error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad