Prospect Info: THN Future Watch 2023 and Habs prospects

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It’s that time of year again. My copy arrived this afternoon.

Our list is certainly…interesting? Now, historically each teams top 10 prospect list would typically be chosen by an actual member of management..but I have no idea if that’s actually still the case.

The “Top 100” is created after a panel of NHL scouts and execs are polled about the top prospects in the game and what they project to be 5 and 10 years down the road.

Juraj Slafkovsky is considered “graduated.” Typically, if a player is considered an NHL regular at the time of publication, they aren’t eligible for Future Watch.

The top 10 prospects in hockey:

1. Logan Cooley
2. Simon Edvinsson
3. Luke Hughes
4. Shane Wright
5. David Jiricek
6. Simon Nemec
7. Yaroslav Askarov
8. Jesper Wallstedt
9. Brandt Clarke
10. Cutter Gauthier

Habs top 10 prospects:

1. Filip Mesar (54th overall)
2. Lane Hutson (65th overall)
3. Owen Beck (84th overall)
4. Justin Barron (92nd overall)
5. Sean Farrell
6. Joshua Roy
7. Logan Mailloux
8. Riley Kidney
9. Mattias Norlinder
10. Jan Mysak

I have a real hard time believing there are 64 better prospects in hockey than Lane Hutson, and 83 better prospects than Owen Beck. Also, no Farrell and Roy in the top 100 prospects in hockey? It seems to me scouts may be sleeping on our prospect pool.

Bobrov on Mesar: “Fast, skilled, slippery and smart. Can skate, make plays, and has a really good brain.”

Bobrov on Hutson: “His hockey sense is very interesting. Has a chip on his shoulder that is very real. The size does not deter him. You have to go after these type of D because they’re hard to find. We have big hopes for him.”

Lapointe on Beck: “Student of the game. He does ‘A’ things on the ice. Good skater and good in the dot. He’s below the puck all the time. Plays the right way.”

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I wish they “adjusted” how they define prospects. IMO Slaf should def be a prospect still.

Yeah, I think they’ve always just tried to keep it simple. This is dating back to 1992, the first year Future Watch was published under its current format. Playing in the NHL and considered a “regular”…ineligible, no matter the age.

Reactions: Tripledeke333

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
if you have Mysak in your top 10, you should reconsider your opinions. Mesar at 1 is bold to say the least.

Mysak at 10 is a bit surprising, as is Barron at 4. Barron has shown improvement after some were down on him, but I can’t see him projecting as a more impactful player than Sean Farrell and Josh Roy personally. I suppose he could be considered more of a sure thing since he has a higher chance of reaching his ceiling, which is lower than the other two.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yeah, I think they’ve always just tried to keep it simple. This is dating back to 1992, the first year Future Watch was published under its current format. Playing in the NHL and considered a “regular”…ineligible, no matter the age.
They are simple. That top 10 in hockey is absolute garbage. Maybe 2 belong there.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
They are simple. That top 10 in hockey is absolute garbage. Maybe 2 belong there.

We’ll have to agree to disagree there. I think that’s a solid top 10 overall even if I’d have the order looking a bit different, personally. I’d say the only two that aren’t sure-fire top 10 prospects are Clarke and Gauthier. 10 for Gauthier seems pretty damn high to me.

I’d be curious to know who you’d have as the top 10 prospects in all of hockey if you consider the majority of these guys out of the top 10.

Jul 6, 2016
That's who I wanted the Habs to take with their 26th pick. I wonder where Slafkovsky would've been ranked overall in this list if he were still eligible.
Cooley and Kulich would had been my 1st round picks. I am just scared that Slaf's "potential" won't translate well at NHL level, ever. Having him this season in the line up from game One was a mistake. Like KK or Latendresse or Mete, were in the past seasons.

Bobrov has done a big selling job on Slaf to the management. And Bobrov's or Gorton's record with the Rangers is not the greatest.

Last edited:

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Beck has 12 points in 19 games since being traded to Petes. hardly worthy of a higher spot.

Jul 6, 2016
Beck has 12 points in 19 games since being traded to Petes. hardly worthy of a higher spot.
How come he dropped so much after his trade ? Could be many things. Different coaching, diffrent city, ..... to..... having to leave behind a girlfriend ????? Beck is better that his stats in Peterborough. No doubt !

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Mysak and Norlinder over Engstrom? Hutson at 65th? Mesar ahead of Farrell?

Who did they get to do the Habs ranking? There's not even internal consistency.

Reactions: SupRocket

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Mysak and Norlinder over Engstrom? Hutson at 65th? Mesar ahead of Farrell?

Who did they get to do the Habs ranking? There's not even internal consistency.

At least how it used to be, was that each team provided their own top 10 list, and then NHL scouts and GM’s were polled on the best overall prospects in hockey and that’s what made up the top 100. NHL scouts and execs are still polled, but I have no idea if the top 10’s still come from each team or not.

I agree 65th is completely ridiculous for Hutson.

Last edited:
Reactions: Draft

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'll be honest, I didn't know THN was still around. I thought better websites/publications snuffed them out.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I'll be honest, I didn't know THN was still around. I thought better websites/publications snuffed them out.

I mainly subscribe for collecting purposes, considering I own every issue ever dating back to the 1st issue in 1947. But also for Draft Preview, Future Watch, and the Special Collector’s edition magazine published in the fall. Yearbook and Pool Guide are pretty forgettable now. The internet has obviously had a massive impact on a publication like that.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Trash list if some of those guys are that low/left off...

Habs top 10 imo
1. Hutson (Top 4 - PP QB)
2. Farrell (2nd line high IQ)
3. Roy (Mid 6 F)
4. Beck ( Bottom 6 F, fringe 2nd line)
5. Mailloux (2nd-3rd pair D, PP Rocket)
6. Mesar (boom or bust)
7. Engstrom (Solid 4-5-6 D)
8. Dobes (Goalies are hard but I like)
9. Kidney (Hard one. Mid 6 F/High ceiling, but for me bottom 6 F)
10. Heineman (Work horse with offense bottom 6 F)

High on-
Simoneau, Trudeau, Guindon, Kapanen
Low on-
Mysak, Smilanic, Struble, Norlinder

(Graduate: Slaf, Ylo, H-P, Barron, Guhle, Harris, X)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
It’s that time of year again. My copy arrived this afternoon.

Our list is certainly…interesting? Now, historically each teams top 10 prospect list would typically be chosen by an actual member of management..but I have no idea if that’s actually still the case.

The “Top 100” is created after a panel of NHL scouts and execs are polled about the top prospects in the game and what they project to be 5 and 10 years down the road.

Juraj Slafkovsky is considered “graduated.” Typically, if a player is considered an NHL regular at the time of publication, they aren’t eligible for Future Watch.

The top 10 prospects in hockey:

1. Logan Cooley
2. Simon Edvinsson
3. Luke Hughes
4. Shane Wright
5. David Jiricek
6. Simon Nemec
7. Yaroslav Askarov
8. Jesper Wallstedt
9. Brandt Clarke
10. Cutter Gauthier

Habs top 10 prospects:

1. Filip Mesar (54th overall)
2. Lane Hutson (65th overall)
3. Owen Beck (84th overall)
4. Justin Barron (92nd overall)
5. Sean Farrell
6. Joshua Roy
7. Logan Mailloux
8. Riley Kidney
9. Mattias Norlinder
10. Jan Mysak

I have a real hard time believing there are 64 better prospects in hockey than Lane Hutson, and 83 better prospects than Owen Beck. Also, no Farrell and Roy in the top 100 prospects in hockey? It seems to me scouts may be sleeping on our prospect pool.

Bobrov on Mesar: “Fast, skilled, slippery and smart. Can skate, make plays, and has a really good brain.”

Bobrov on Hutson: “His hockey sense is very interesting. Has a chip on his shoulder that is very real. The size does not deter him. You have to go after these type of D because they’re hard to find. We have big hopes for him.”

Lapointe on Beck: “Student of the game. He does ‘A’ things on the ice. Good skater and good in the dot. He’s below the puck all the time. Plays the right way.”
I thought we would rank higher. was Bobrov with Rangers when they made all those disasters of first picks? Kravtsov, Andersson and those guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad