Prospect Info: THN Future Watch 2013 (Habs top 10 prospect list...Ranked B - 13th overall)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1314205

Subscribers in Canada usually receive it during the last week of February. Should be on newsstands during or around the first week of March.

I've spoken to Jason Kay, and due to the messy lockout situation, players like Galchenyuk and Gallagher (who usually wouldn't be part of this list) will be included.

Top 5 will almost surely consist of (in no specific order):

Tarasenko
Granlund
Yakupov
Galchenyuk
Kuznetsov

Huberdeau and Schultz will likely be up there as well.

Oh, and let me mention that each teams top 10 prospect list is provided by a member of the actual organization, whether it be a scout, assistant GM etc..

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Just got my digital copy through zinio. Print copy should arrive any day!

Dougie Hamilton on the cover.

Top 10 prospects:

1. Vladimir Tarasenko
2. Justin Schultz
3. Evgeni Kuznetsov
4. Dougie Hamilton
5. Nail Yakupov
6. Alex Galchenyuk
7. Mikael Granlund
8. Johnathan Huberdeau
9. Ryan Murray
10. Jacob Trouba

Habs top 10:

1. Alex Galchenyuk (6)
2. Nathan Beaulieu (41)
3. Jarred Tinordi (72)
4. Sebastian Collberg
5. Brendan Gallagher
6. Charles Hudon
7. Michael Bournival
8. Patrick Holland
9. Louis Leblanc
10. Danny Kristo

Forgot to mention, we're ranked 13th overall with a grade of B.

Last edited:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Top 10 prospects:

1. Vladimir Tarasenko
2. Justin Schultz
3. Evgeni Kuznetsov
4. Dougie Hamilton
5. Nail Yakupov
6. Alex Galchenyuk
7. Mikael Granlund
8. Johnathan Huberdeau
9. Ryan Murray
10. Jacob Trouba

Habs top 10:

1. Alex Galchenyuk (6)
2. Nathan Beaulieu (41)
3. Jarred Tinordi (72)
4. Sebastian Collberg
5. Brendan Gallagher
6. Charles Hudon
7. Michael Bournival
8. Patrick Holland
9. Louis Leblanc
10. Danny Kristo

This is wrong.....He should rank right behind Gallagher and Holland should not be in the top10 instead of Dietz or Ellis, just saying...

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
This is wrong.....He should rank right behind Gallagher and Holland should not be in the top10 instead of Dietz or Ellis, just saying...

Yeah, I would definitely have Dietz in there over Holland.

For those wondering..Straight from the magazine on how the rankings are determined:

It starts with The Hockey News consulting with each NHL team to determine an order of the top prospects in that organization. Once a master list of 30 top 10's is established, we ask the talent evaluators to rank the top 50 prospects from the 300 candidates with a five to ten year projected outlook. 15 scouts participated in this year's exercise and a spreadsheet does the number crunching. The voting system is weighted to give the top 10 prospects sequentially more balloting points than those prospects ranked 11-50.

Oct 22, 2012
A little confused with leblanc's placement on that list. I guess this says that the organization is slowly losing confidence in his ability to either produce, stay healthy or both.

I still would like to see what Kristo brings to the table, at the pro level. I'm not going to count him out yet.

And agree on Holland, I've seen the bulldogs play live a few times and he was practically invisible. That reminds I took a video of a goal that gallagher scored a little while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNYbTyENqI

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I wouldn't have Holland in my top ten. Leblanc, Kristo, Dietz and Ellis should all be higher than him. Just don't see anything about his game that says "NHLer".

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Holland is awesome, he's in my Top-10 (although I guess considering this list, he wouldn't be since I don't have Galchenyuk or Gallagher listed anymore). Kristo is okay but I wouldn't have him much higher, I'd have Bournival ahead of Hudon though.

The biggest omission, IMO, is Bozon.

Crazy to see that we have guys like Bozon, Dietz, Dumont, Ellis, Thrower, and Bennett outside out Top-10. I only saw Cichy play once this year too, but he looked solid for sitting out an entire year.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
A little confused with leblanc's placement on that list. I guess this says that the organization is slowly losing confidence in his ability to either produce, stay healthy or both.

I still would like to see what Kristo brings to the table, at the pro level. I'm not going to count him out yet.

And agree on Holland, I've seen the bulldogs play live a few times and he was practically invisible. That reminds I took a video of a goal that gallagher scored a little while ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RNYbTyENqI

In the magazine it says Leblanc's there because he hasn't been able to bounce back from his high ankle sprain.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

I think the Habs have a good amount of depth of "good" prospects, so about 10-12 different players could have gone 6-10...Dietz Ellis Nygren Bozon Bennett MacMillan could have been there instead of LeBlanc Kristo Bournival Hudon Holland. Thrower? Dumont?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Matt Dumba for the Wild at 47 is probably the biggest surprise for me. Not that I was expecting him to be in the top 15 or anything, but I guess I thought he'd at least be 10-15 spots lower, in the 30 range.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Top 10 prospects:

1. Vladimir Tarasenko
2. Justin Schultz
3. Evgeni Kuznetsov
4. Dougie Hamilton
5. Nail Yakupov
6. Alex Galchenyuk
7. Mikael Granlund
8. Johnathan Huberdeau
9. Ryan Murray
10. Jacob Trouba

Habs top 10:

1. Alex Galchenyuk (6)
2. Nathan Beaulieu (41)
3. Jarred Tinordi (72)
4. Sebastian Collberg
5. Brendan Gallagher
6. Charles Hudon
7. Michael Bournival
8. Patrick Holland
9. Louis Leblanc
10. Danny Kristo

Forgot to mention, we're ranked 13th overall with a grade of B.

Straight blow to my face when I say Leblanc is a top 3 prospect in our organisation.

This screams: he wont get a chance. I hope they get it together... How are Holland, Bournival and to a certain point collberg/hudon considered better prospects than him... Collberg is not having a good year like Leblanc, Hudon slowed down quite a bit, Bournival is playing great but I don't see him as a superior player at the same level... I think the ''what have you done for me lately'' syndrome is high.

Analyzer*

Straight blow to my face when I say Leblanc is a top 3 prospect in our organisation.

This screams: he wont get a chance. I hope they get it together... How are Holland, Bournival and to a certain point collberg/hudon considered better prospects than him... Collberg is not having a good year like Leblanc, Hudon slowed down quite a bit, Bournival is playing great but I don't see him as a superior player at the same level... I think the ''what have you done for me lately'' syndrome is high.

SEL is better than the AHL.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Not to mention, 18 year olds are not 22 year olds.

I think it's harsh when people write off Leblanc, I don't think he's a particularly great offensive prospect but he showed enough last year to make me think this season he was injured, but it's perfectly fair to expect more from Leblanc at 22 than Collberg and Hudon at 18, or even 20 year olds Bournival and Holland playing against adults for the first time in their career.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not to mention, 18 year olds are not 22 year olds.

I think it's harsh when people write off Leblanc, I don't think he's a particularly great offensive prospect but he showed enough last year to make me think this season he was injured, but it's perfectly fair to expect more from Leblanc at 22 than Collberg and Hudon at 18, or even 20 year olds Bournival and Holland playing against adults for the first time in their career.

I get that but it's still the what have you done for me lately syndrome. Leblanc played in the NHL last year and was effective at 20 Y/O. He was on pace for 10 goals and 10 assist with 10 minutes of play at ES only. He showed he was effective and he got injured this year. Management is selling him short, just like the fans. He's not playing well (Well he picked it up the last 5 games.) but it's not the first time this happens... Heh Max?

And you can look at all the stats that favors him (While I don't like doing that I think that when the majority go in favor it must mean something)
+3, 9GVA/15 TKA 68 hits(in 4X games.)

The game where he played the most, against Florida(17 minutes) he had a whopping 4 shots and 1 goal.
Is it really ? Most of the ahl is full of kids 21-25 trying to take it to the next level and who will probably succeed and some veteran who will never have a shot at it and the SEL is full of the latter.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I wouldn't have Holland in my top ten. Leblanc, Kristo, Dietz and Ellis should all be higher than him. Just don't see anything about his game that says "NHLer".

I guess you guys missed the part where Hockey News asked EACH organization their list of their top 10 prospects.

This is not Hockey News evaluation. It's the Habs evaluation of their own prospects.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Since Top 10 list came from inside the Habs organization, doesn't sound good for Leblanc.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Who makes these rankings?

From THN:

It starts with The Hockey News consulting with each NHL team to determine an order of the top prospects in that organization. Once a master list of 30 top 10's is established, we ask the talent evaluators to rank the top 50 prospects from the 300 candidates with a five to ten year projected outlook. 15 scouts participated in this year's exercise and a spreadsheet does the number crunching. The voting system is weighted to give the top 10 prospects sequentially more balloting points than those prospects ranked 11-50.

So, our top 10 list came from a member of the organization, we just don't know who. Bergevin? Dudley? Carriere? Timmins? Jankowski? Benning? etc. Who knows, but it came from a member of the org.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
From THN:

So, our top 10 list came from a member of the organization, we just don't know who. Bergevin? Dudley? Carriere? Timmins? Jankowski? Benning? etc. Who knows, but it came from a member of the org.

Ok, i am shocked bournival l is rated higher than leblanc or kristo.

Last edited:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Would anyone of you take Holland or Bournival before Kristo? If Yes why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad