News Article: THN: Draft Night Winners (DET) and Losers (PIT)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
"Thanks to Montreal taking Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Arizona calling Barrett Hayton, the Red Wings are gifted with Filip Zadina at No. 6. The dynamic Czech clearly thought the Habs liked him in his media scrum and offered a warning for Montreal and Ottawa, which also passed on him: “I was telling my agent, if they will pass on me, I’m going to fill their nets with pucks.”

The Red Wings got some more good fortune at the back end with the pick they got from Vegas in the Tomas Tatar deal: Drummondville’s Joe Veleno was still available at No. 30, even though he looked like a mid-first rounder at worst. Veleno admitted to getting a little nervous as the picks flew by, but it all worked out in the end for him."

Draft night: first round winners and losers | The Hockey News

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am not happy with our first pick, but not because I really dislike our pick. I just thought that #25 pick could have been used in a trade for a defenseman.

I am pretty satisfied with the rest of our picks through the rest of the rounds. I think his selections are better than Mark Hunter's.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
There are no winners or losers the next day. There are reasons why players fall below their earlier rankings. I think I like NYI who hit a home run based on a bunch of pre draft lists but the players taken ahead could all earn their spots so maybe they don't even have BPA. This was a strong year I think.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
"Thanks to Montreal taking Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Arizona calling Barrett Hayton, the Red Wings are gifted with Filip Zadina at No. 6. The dynamic Czech clearly thought the Habs liked him in his media scrum and offered a warning for Montreal and Ottawa, which also passed on him: “I was telling my agent, if they will pass on me, I’m going to fill their nets with pucks.”

The Red Wings got some more good fortune at the back end with the pick they got from Vegas in the Tomas Tatar deal: Drummondville’s Joe Veleno was still available at No. 30, even though he looked like a mid-first rounder at worst. Veleno admitted to getting a little nervous as the picks flew by, but it all worked out in the end for him."

Detroit had a pretty ridiculously good draft at first glance, though it helps to have extra picks. I also rather liked the Islanders draft though that was mostly just having guys higher ranked fall to them.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I really didn't need to hear what I already knew --- makes it worse that both my brothers are Wings fans.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Islanders destroyed the draft, due to Arizona reaching for a center and Rangers boldly going with Kravtsov (although, I agree with that pick). I would have seriously considered Noah Dobson at 4 though. He just reminds me of guys like Suter and Pietrangelo. Wahlstrom is a very good pick too, kid has flaws, but man can he shoot the puck and put it in the net.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I am not happy with our first pick, but not because I really dislike our pick. I just thought that #25 pick could have been used in a trade for a defenseman.

I am pretty satisfied with the rest of our picks through the rest of the rounds. I think his selections are better than Mark Hunter's.

I am of the opposite opinion. Feel like his 1st round pick was in the A range, and his Day 2 was in the C range. Other than Kral, I do not think there were any "outstanding" picks. There was the potential for more, but they chose guys who were either reaches or appropriately ranked.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Islanders destroyed the draft, due to Arizona reaching for a center and Rangers boldly going with Kravtsov (although, I agree with that pick). I would have seriously considered Noah Dobson at 4 though. He just reminds me of guys like Suter and Pietrangelo. Wahlstrom is a very good pick too, kid has flaws, but man can he shoot the puck and put it in the net.

I am surprised Ty Smith dropped so much. I get the size concerns, but the guy plays the game like modern day defenseman should. He's not going to just be a guy you throw out there for offensive minutes, which is what many fans seem to want out of their skilled puck movers these days, but is someone who can shut down high end competition too. If he was Bouchard's size and maybe had a bit more defensive help on Spokane (next year Kral could help him soar), I do not see how he would not have been the second defenseman chosen over Boqvist, Bouchard and Dobson.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
There are no winners or losers the next day. There are reasons why players fall below their earlier rankings. I think I like NYI who hit a home run based on a bunch of pre draft lists but the players taken ahead could all earn their spots so maybe they don't even have BPA. This was a strong year I think.
Bingo. Time will tell.

I do love the Islanders draft though. I like Wahlstrom better than Zadina, and Dobson should be a solid top 4 defenceman at the least.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Veleno is going to bust hard.
Yeah I don't really get the hype tbh. He never lived up to the expectations people set on him. A guy like him was supposed to blow the doors off, especially in such a high scoring league. He looks more like he'll be a good third line center at the nhl level.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

In order to trade that pick for a defenseman, someone has to want the #25 pick.... maybe nobody did?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Didn't mind the Leafs draft. Obviously there's no way to know how it'll turn out just days later but there's a mixed bag of players that he took, some are projectable, some aren't. I know not everyone liked our first rounder but I don't mind it at all. The system needed more dmen and centers and I think we got that. People really need to stop going crazy by referencing draft lists alone. No team ever just follows draft lists you'll see on the web.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Crosby 303 points in 121 games. 2.5 points/game.
Frederik Gauthier 144 points in 153 games. .94 points/game
Filip Zadina 82 points in 57 games. 1.44 points/game

I don't see the excitement over Zadina. A player who gets 50% more points then Gauthier without the size or defense.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Isles were also the big winners

New York Islanders

Much like Detroit, the Isles got some nice “luck” in how things unfolded ahead of them. Because the rival Rangers had Vitali Kravtsov as their second-highest rated forward (then taking him ninth overall), the Isles got sharp-shooting Oliver Wahlstrom at No. 11, then followed it up by grabbing Noah Dobson, the big, quick defenseman still on the board because Chicago preferred Adam Boqvist. Picturing Wahlstrom and Kieffer Bellows taking passes from Matt Barzal and John Tavares in the future must tickle New York fans, but Dobson fills a huge need in the pipeline, giving the team a blueliner with big upside.

Wheels

Sure, speed is always big in the draft, but a couple kids slid into the first round with their skating. Columbus grabbed Liam Foudy at No. 18, while X-factor Ryan Merkley was all smiles when San Jose called his name at No. 21. Chicago got another good mobile D-man in Nicolas Beaudin at No. 27, while Toronto countered with Rasmus Sandin two picks later.

------------------------------------------------------------

And Columbus @#18 was smart enough to take my boy Liam Foudy, because of his great speed and skill. :mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Yeah I don't really get the hype tbh. He never lived up to the expectations people set on him. A guy like him was supposed to blow the doors off, especially in such a high scoring league. He looks more like he'll be a good third line center at the nhl level.

Veleno isn’t a top line player. He will likely max out as as something like Antoine Vermette. A fast 3rd liner.

Sandin is likely a top 4 d man which is > 3rd line center.

Philip Kral was a steal in the 5th round. The guy outscored teammate Ty Smith at ESP/60. Once he gains some strength he’s going to dominate.

Durzi was another solid pick in the second round.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Crosby 303 points in 121 games. 2.5 points/game.
Frederik Gauthier 144 points in 153 games. .94 points/game
Filip Zadina 82 points in 57 games. 1.44 points/game

I don't see the excitement over Zadina. A player who gets 50% more points then Gauthier without the size or defense.
l.o.l.

The issue with Gauthier is a lot more than his point production, its just his overall game and also that his point production essentially peaked in his draft year and got worse as he developed. Gauthier also only scored a total of 56 goals over 3 seasons (153 games).

Zadina has scored 44 goals in 57 games as well as 7 goals at the WJC in 7 games as an undrafted player. He just fills the net and has a lot more skill than Gauthier.

Also why would you put in Crosby? That isn't a comparable player at all.

Just a bad post overall to be completely honest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs were draft day losers comparatively speaking when your Div Rivals Buffalo adds Rasmus Dahlin, Detroit adds Zadina and Ottawa Tkachuk etc all impact players so that closes the talent gap bring the bottom/floor closer up.

Part of being a good team is drafting later, but part of being a bad team is adding highend talent for free from the draft.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017

weak draft, no on is giving up a top four D for pick 25, even with kap or whatever crap we throw in.Our best course wasto draft centers and D and wait until after John Tavares signs.

i firmly believe the reason we did not see any moves day 1 was 1, it was a weak draft and ever team and drastically different lists and two Tavares was holding a handful of teams up and to a lesser extent Carlson. once JT signs there will be a shit ton of moves make my words lahey

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Leafs were draft day losers comparatively speaking when your Div Rivals Buffalo adds Rasmus Dahlin, Detroit adds Zadina and Ottawa Tkachuk etc all impact players so that closes the talent gap bring the bottom/floor closer up.

Part of being a good team is drafting later, but part of being a bad team is adding highend talent for free from the draft.

Not really, Detroit are not zadina (who i thinks busts) away from competing.Ottawa is on the ferge of a mutiny and Buffalo will always be losers. Lemiux or Gretzky could not help them in their primes.

Buffalo is the only team who got ahead. Id rather them have Eichael and Dahlin than McDavid. Plus Matthews,Marner,Nylander,Rielly>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eichael,Dahlin,ROR, Risto AINEC

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

These players have to succeed or fail at some as yet unknown time in the future. Until then, there's the hope that their potential will translate and that's it. I see no intellectual integrity in deforming the parameters of our draft position as being reasonably comparable to clubs who by dint of failure were rewarded for their inability to synthesize previously awarded high draft picks. A reasonable comparison will occur by the success or failure experienced by those clubs in and around our range of selection. Not whether the consensus number one overall and number two overall picks were successful or not.

Hindsight's at times an unreasonable mechanism to compare systems but when Boston drafted Pasternak or Tampa Bay drafted Kucherov, on day one of the draft or ten days after the draft, were similar murmurs about "losers" Boson and Tampa being confidently traded about? Nope. But years on from those drafts, a number of us certainly wonder why the obvious best players in the draft are routinely overlooked for consensus, expert-ranked other players.

Is it possible that one of Sandin, Durzi and a favorite of mine, Riley Stotts is this year's Brayden Point or Roman Josi? Is it reasonable to say it's possible that one of these players picked later in our order will be better than those picked earlier? And in such reasonable possibilities is it prudent to conclude that we're losers before giving our players time to mature into the players they might turn out to be?

Like how do we on one hand reconcile Dermott's success and then characterize a similar scenario as being a loss?

What goes into that kind of consideration I wonder?

I didn't weigh in on this year's draft, but I like what Dubas did this year. There's a real ring of Nashville and Los Angeles in going heavy on D, even LHD...And I like where there programs are and have been.

I think most would call those winning programs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad