D. Sedin - LW
Gaborik - RW
Green - D
Lidstrom - D
Bryzgalov - G

JaysCyYoung

Jan 1, 2009
York Region
I'm still agonizing over whether I would place Crosby on the First All-Star Team or Second All-Star Team. In one respect, Henrik won the Art Ross Trophy, which is a tremendous accomplishment, and historically the Art Ross winner is a shoe-in for the First All-Star Team. On the other hand, Sid led the league in goals capturing the Rocket Richard Trophy, tremendously outscoring Henrik and coming within three points of him. It's tough but I would be inclined to give it to Sid under the presumption that scoring more goals is harder and more valuable.

NHL First All-Star Team

Alexander Ovechkin - Sidney Crosby - Martin St. Louis

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty

Ryan Miller

NHL Second All-Star Team

Patrick Marleau - Henrik Sedin - Marian Gaborik

Mike Green - Chris Pronger

Ilya Bryzgalov

NHL All-Rookie Team

Niclas Bergfors - Matt Duchene - John Tavares

Tyler Myers - Michael Del Zotto

Jimmy Howard​

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Who do I think should be on or who do I think will be on?

This is who I think will be on:

Ovechkin - Crosby - Kane
Keith-Green
Miller

Parise - Sedin - St. Louis
Doughty-Pronger
Bryzgalov

I don't get all the picks for Gaborik when he scored less than Kane or St. Louis, and his team didn't make the playoffs. Sure he missed some games, but the voters traditionally (and rightfully) don't give players credit for missed games.

Hardest spot for me to pick is second team LW. Kovalchuk has the best stats, but Sedin, Heatley, and Parise are very close and all have better defensive games. Sedin missed games, but again that will hurt him. Heatley/Parise is basically a coinflip IMO. Gave it to Parise since he has worse linemates.

Who should be on:
Ovechkin-Crosby-St. Louis
Keith-Doughty
Miller

Parise-Sedin-Kane
Pronger-Green
Bryzgalov

Really hard to leave Lidstrom off though. Lidstrom/Green is a coinflip to me, but is probably an easy choice for the writers...

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Who do I think should be on or who do I think will be on?

This is who I think will be on:

Ovechkin - Crosby - Kane
Keith-Green
Miller

Parise - Sedin - St. Louis
Doughty-Pronger
Bryzgalov

I don't get all the picks for Gaborik when he scored less than Kane or St. Louis, and his team didn't make the playoffs. Sure he missed some games, but the voters traditionally (and rightfully) don't give players credit for missed games.

Hardest spot for me to pick is second team LW. Kovalchuk has the best stats, but Sedin, Heatley, and Parise are very close and all have better defensive games. Sedin missed games, but again that will hurt him. Heatley/Parise is basically a coinflip IMO. Gave it to Parise since he has worse linemates.

Who should be on:
Ovechkin-Crosby-St. Louis
Keith-Doughty
Miller

Parise-Sedin-Kane
Pronger-Green
Bryzgalov

Really hard to leave Lidstrom off though. Lidstrom/Green is a coinflip to me, but is probably an easy choice for the writers...

Why did I assume Kane was a center? Was he a center as a rookie?

Anyway, Kane only had 2 more points than Gaborik and 12 less goals (in six more games). And Gaborik is basically the whole show for the punchless Rangers offense.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Why did I assume Kane was a center? Was he a center as a rookie?

Anyway, Kane only had 2 more points than Gaborik and 12 less goals (in six more games). And Gaborik is basically the whole show for the punchless Rangers offense.

I'm not sure if Kane was a center as a rookie. It's possible. Lots of talented prospects are centers, but then find their game better suited to wing in the NHL (Parise and Elias were both drafted at center then moved to LW at the NHL level).

I guess I can see the argument for Gaborik over Kane. I might even agree with it if I think about it.

Historically, playing on a good team has been a plus when it comes to All-Star teams though, not a minus. Witness Kovalev getting a spot a couple of years ago over Alfredsson.

Chicago will already be represented with Keith, so maybe there will be less motivation to give Kane a spot.

Last edited:

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
DMM, I just don't see how you can exclude Gaborik. Yeah, he missed a few games. But he still led his position in goals and was third in points despite playing with trash as line-mates and zero offensive support. His team's collection of talent beyond him and Lundqvist is pathetic. I can't use that against him. Don't get me wrong, because St. Louis had a great year, but I find Gaborik carrying the Rangers' offense within one skills competition victory of the playoffs pretty impressive. I mean, honestly, when the best center you've had all year is Erik freakin' Christensen, yet you still finish top five in goals and top ten in points, all while missing 6 games, 3 of which were due to a freak laceration, you deserve a post-season all-star nod.

Honestly, Patrick Kane just doesn't impress me like a first-team all-star should. His chronic floating and Pavel Bure-esque back-checking cost him in my book. I can't tell you how many times I see Kane floating in the neutral zone a few feet behind Toews, who is busy back-checking like his life depended on it.

Ovechkin-Crosby-Gaborik
Keith-Doughty
Miller

Parise-Sedin-Marleau
Pronger-Green
Bryzgalov

I'm fine with either Kane or Marleau, but Marleau's 44 goals are a) tops in the West by 5 (Heatley), and include 4 shorties give him my vote. My fandom might have played a role in it too. ;)

Here's my problem with Lidstrom getting a spot. He didn't reach his typical elite level until after the Olympics. I tend to side with the guys who have been excellent for the entire season, so I agree with Pronger, or even Dan Boyle, who is quietly having a fantastic season despite getting no help from the atrocious Sharks' defense.
Posted via Mobile Device

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
First Team:

Crosby - C
Ovechkin - W
Gaborik - W
Green - D
Keith - D
Miller - G

Second Team:

H. Sedin - C
D. Sedin - W
Parise - W
Doughty - D
Pronger - D
Bryzgalov - G

I have almost the exact list. I agree with Crosby at 1st team center. Honestly, he was 3 points shy of Sedin. Take into account his defensive play, faceoff value, goal scoring lead and weak linemates and I personally think it makes up for 3 measley points. Besides, Messier was a 1st team all-star twice in his career despite being outscored by centers (Gretzky and Lemieux) by a much wider margin.

Heatley and Kovalchuk to name a couple others are up there in contention on the 2nd team but I agree with you 100% for the defense and goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad