This Team's "Dead Weight", and How to Shed It

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Now, my opinion of "dead weight" might differ from some of you, however I think the consensus is more or less the same for the obvious names:

- Rob Scuderi (2 more years at 3.37 per)
- Ben Lovejoy (1 more year at 1.2 million)
- Chris Kunitz (2 more years at 4 million per)
- Craig Adams (UFA this summer)
- Paul Martin (UFA this summer)
- Christian Erhoff (UFA this summer)
- Brandon Sutter (1 more year at 3.3 million)

Some people here might be divided as to whether or not Martin should be lumped into the same category with the rest of these guys, but quite frankly at 34 years of age the guy is only showing more signs of slowing down. Aside from a couple of seasons I haven't found him to be at all worth the 25 million we dished out for him over the last 5 seasons either. With Pouliot ready to make a full-time roster jump, and Harrington and Dumoulin not far behind, I think it's time to part was with Martin this summer. The most I'd be willing to go for is maybe 1-2 more years at a substantially lower cap hit, but chances are he'll be looking for a deal that will sustain him until he's pushing 40.

Adams and Erhoff are absolute no-brainers. JR would have to have the worst senior citizen moment of all time in order to even CONSIDER offering these guys extensions, so chances are they'll both be sent packing, effectively ending the Adams legacy once and for all (about 4 years too late).

This brings us to the trickier assets to move...namely Scuderi, Kuni, Sutter, and Lovejoy. Scuderi and Kuni are clearly well past it and the fact that we'd have to put up with either of them for another 2 years, chewing up over 7 million in cap space between them over that span, is enough to make any reasonable hockey fan want to gag. That being said, how could management look to move either of these guys, and what could the potential return be for them? Quite frankly I think we could honestly fleece another team out of a at least a late 1st round pick for Kuni, and perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Scuds.

Lovejoy I'm afraid is someone were just going to have to ride out for one more year. Even at a relatively low cap hit there is really nothing at all appealing about the guy that could generate any type of real return, aside from maybe a 5th or 6th rounder, or perhaps "future considerations". If we're stuck with him then we explore the waivers option, otherwise we just have to suck it up (along with the 1.2 million cap hit).

This brings us to our favorite whipping boy, Mr. Brandon Sutter. The kid who was expected to fill Staal's shoes on our 3rd line has easily been one of the most frustrating players to don a Pens uniform during the cap era. At times he shows flashes of brilliance skill-wise, especially on the PK, but for the most part he's a soft, lazy, inconsistent cupcake that looks completely out of his element. We gave him the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't look like he'll be evolving into anything more than what he is. Perhaps we can at least grab a decent forward prospect in return?

Of course, this mostly just wishful thinking from my part. There's no way this team looks to flip 7 roster regulars over teh course of one summer. Especially not 4 veteran d-men. However, it is very feasible that at least half these guys can be moved in order to get us rolling in the right direction?

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
I love Martin as a player, but regardless, fiscal realities dictate he has to go this summer. Erhoff has to walk too.The last thing we need is yet another injury prone guy on the roster with a long term deal.

Unless he shows some sign of improvement down the stretch/playoffs I think it will be hard to move Kunitz in the offseason. Unless you can manage to find a team willing to exchange corpse-like players looking for a change of scenery. I think your best bet, assuming he doesn't improve, which seems likely, is simply to hope he starts alright next year and you immediately pull the trigger for any return you can get.

Not a fan of Lovejoy or anything, but with the way our blue line is going to be depleted this offseason, at least it seems likely, he's a good inexpensive low pairing contract. Worth hanging onto that IMO.

The end of the Adams era can only be a positive for this team.

I'd love to move Scuderi, and for some reason, I think there is a team out there that would be willing to bite on him. Just a gut feeling.

Mixed feelings about Sutter. With only a year to go on the deal I'd probably keep him and hope to move him to highly overpaid 4th line duties if we can find a real 3C.

More concerned about some of the other guys who are up for renewal this season. Comeau etc. It'd be utter folly to dish out a big money contract to him IMO. We cannot treat him as a real second line solution.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
- Rob Scuderi - trade for a 3rd-6th at the draft
- Ben Lovejoy - you have to keep him and hope Pouliot can carry the pairing
- Chris Kunitz - trade for young winger with upside or package for legit guy
- Craig Adams - goodbye
- Paul Martin - short term deal or goodbye
- Christian Erhoff - goodbye and good luck
- Brandon Sutter - trade for young winger with upside or package for legit guy

Given this team's lack of belief in Bennett, I'm willing to package him with either Sutter or Kunitz to get the right winger.

The biggest problem to me is that we don't have many available and attractive add ins to move with Sutter or Kunitz. Before trading Despres for Assjoy, we could have afforded to use Dumo as an add on to get the legit winger we wanted. Now we can't afford to move Harrington or Dumoulin with the amount of veteran D turnover expected this summer. Ugh that was a bad trade on so many levels.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
In terms of moving Scuds and Kuni I'm hopeful that their impressive "resumes" would probably be a sufficient enough selling point in order to move them for something decent in return, even in spite of how terrible they've looked this season. Of course, that will also boil down to how good a haggler JR is as well...

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Specifically on the back end..

I think we let Martin and Erhroff walk.
I think we can move Scuderi (we can get SOMETHING for him, I mean come on, Clarkson was moved)
Lovejoy can go if we're able to get something for him

Then I think we need to bring in 2 physical D-men.. I don't know who that would be, or how we get them, but we need a physical presence on the back end, our D-Core is so soft and there's nothing in the pipeline that fills that need (anymore.. :cry: Despres :cry:)

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I hate to be depressing but the team has had ample opportunity (I personally believe) to move just about every single one of these guys and has passed. They MIGHT find a new home for Kunitz this offseason since he's been so impossibly bad that even our market's *******, kowtowing media is picking up on that, here and there. But that's about as much as I dare even hope for.

I wouldn't even put good money on them letting Adams walk.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Specifically on the back end..

I think we let Martin and Erhroff walk.
I think we can move Scuderi (we can get SOMETHING for him, I mean come on, Clarkson was moved)
Lovejoy can go if we're able to get something for him

Then I think we need to bring in 2 physical D-men.. I don't know who that would be, or how we get them, but we need a physical presence on the back end, our D-Core is so soft and there's nothing in the pipeline that fills that need (anymore.. :cry: Despres :cry:)

Therein lies the biggest issue. It's not so much a problem of not being able to move these guys, but rather being able to fill those holes once we have moved them. It's all find and dandy to move them for some draft picks/prospects and open up cap space in the process, however we're still left needing 2-3 full-time d-men and perhaps a couple of full-time forwards. Not at all easy for any GM to do, especially without running the risk of just signing more deadweight garbage out of desperation.

However I do have less concerns about up front. If we move Sutter we at least know that we have Sunqvist ready to make the transition. Worst case scenario we put Spaling in the 3C role and perhaps re-sign Lapierre to a 1 year deal in the meantime. As for Kuni, if Dupuis comes back next season, and we manage to re-sign Comeau to a reasonable deal then I'd be perfectly fine with temporarily rolling with a top 6 comprised of any one of Perron/Horny/Comeau/Dupuis/Bennett on as our top wingers. There's even Downie who would probably re-sign with us on teh cheap as well.

On D howeveer, moving Despres probably set us back a lot further than we originally anticipated....

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Paul Martin is in no universe dead weight; if you can sign him for 3 years it's at 6 or less it's probably a good deal. Lovejoy is fine as a #6. Everyone else on that list needs to go. I think Sutter has good value and Kunitz probably still gets you something based on his track record prior to this year. Scuderi you take what you can get and consider a buyout if you can get anything.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Ideally I'd like to see Martin let walk, but because of this club's mentality, I think if Martin walks that means they keep Scuderi. I don't think this club believes they need at least one of those two in the lineup, and given that, I'd rather re-sign Martin and trade Scuderi than let Martin walk and be stuck with the useless pylon for another two seasons (or whatever his contract is).

Kunitz needs to be dealt simply because a]he sucks now and b]this organization refuses to play him below the top six, which he's dragging down badly.

Adams can **** off. If he's re-signed, then **** the Penguins. I hope they keep on losing in the first round because they don't deserve better.

Sutter should be dealt for an upgrade to the top six. Failing that, he should be traded to replenish the draft picks dealt away.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Paul Martin is in no universe dead weight; if you can sign him for 3 years it's at 6 or less it's probably a good deal. Lovejoy is fine as a #6. Everyone else on that list needs to go. I think Sutter has good value and Kunitz probably still gets you something based on his track record prior to this year. Scuderi you take what you can get and consider a buyout if you can get anything.

Can't tell if this is serious or not. On what universe would a level-headed GM offer a 34 year old Paul Martin a 3 year contract between 5-6 million per? He's been nothing more than DECENT for us this season. It'd be an absolute abomination to re-sign him at that term for that kind of money! Scuderi's cap hit/term also isn't bad enough to have to resort to a buyout. He may not get us anything good in return, but I still believe there are teams out there willing to take a chance on him.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Lovejoy wont be moved given what they traded for him. Kunitz should be easy enough to move though probably only for draft picks, Scuderi just give him away, Sutter should garner a decent return. Sutter's on pace for his 2nd best season even though he's looked poor for most of the year.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Unless Martin signs for some ridiculously low salary and term, he needs to move on. He was a good signing and I think he was a solid player for us, but we just can't keep re-signing all these veterans when we have young guys ready to step up and replace them.

We already have Letang, Lovejoy, Scuderi, Cole, and Määttä filling 5/6 D spots. There is no room to re-sign Ehrhoff or Martin.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Can't tell if this is serious or not. On what universe would a level-headed GM offer a 34 year old Paul Martin a 3 year contract between 5-6 million per? He's been nothing more than DECENT for us this season. It'd be an absolute abomination to re-sign him at that term for that kind of money! Scuderi's cap hit/term also isn't bad enough to have to resort to a buyout. He may not get us anything good in return, but I still believe there are teams out there willing to take a chance on him.

The one where Brooks Orpik costs you $5.5 million x 5 years. Defencemen get paid. In a much lower cap environment 36 year old Gonchar got $5.5 million x 3 years. This year has a super thin UFA market for D. Martin, unlike the two guys I just mentioned, still plays solid hockey.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sutter has close to 20 goals, plays well defensively and is a top notch PK guy that scores shorties. He has good value, despite the beating he takes here.

He can easily be moved for a nice asset.

Scuds at worst can be moved with salary retention.

Kunitz still has value as a third liner.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I hate to be depressing but the team has had ample opportunity (I personally believe) to move just about every single one of these guys and has passed. They MIGHT find a new home for Kunitz this offseason since he's been so impossibly bad that even our market's *******, kowtowing media is picking up on that, here and there. But that's about as much as I dare even hope for.

I wouldn't even put good money on them letting Adams walk.
Yep - get ready for the Sutter extension. It's happening.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sutter has close to 20 goals, plays well defensively and is a top notch PK guy that scores shorties. He has good value, despite the beating he takes here.

He can easily be moved for a nice asset.

Scuds at worst can be moved with salary retention.

Kunitz still has value as a third liner.

Agreed. The problem is we will need two top 6 wingers and the org isn't going to let Bennett be one of them. Sutter+ can get you one top 6 winger, but where does the other one come from?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Agreed. The problem is we will need two top 6 wingers and the org isn't going to let Bennett be one of them. Sutter+ can get you one top 6 winger, but where does the other one come from?

Don't panic, we all know it will be Kunitz.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Kunitz might not be too difficult to move because he doesn't have any sort of movement clause. Scuderi on the other hand does, I just don't remember what kind of clause it is.

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Kunitz might not be too difficult to move because he doesn't have any sort of movement clause. Scuderi on the other hand does, I just don't remember what kind of clause it is.
A list of five teams he'll accept a trade to. Rutherford's hands are tied if Scuderi wants to stay.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
They need to encourage Scuderi to retire just not for the cap hit but also the fact he is hurting this franchise by them having to bury Scott Harrington in WBS. This was a true Shero disaster.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
every single one of them will be back. nothing will change or improve over this offseason

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Martin is a guy I still want around, but with that being said, he's somewhat overvalued. I'm basing this purely on his offensive numbers and ability. Just absolutely no threat once possession is established in the offensive zone. One of the above posts is dead on though. If we don't keep Martin, Scuderi's all but guaranteed to play here next season.

The dead weight, in an almost literal sense, is Scuderi and Adams. Honestly, seeing them play is bad enough, but then having to read quotes from them and realizing they've been thrusted into leadership roles is ****ing nauseating.

If Kunitz realizes he's 35 and trains accordingly in the off season, I can live with him on a third line. But that all changes if he's glued to the top six because Chris Kunitz. Then he becomes the deadest of weight.

Mother **** this is so frustrating. The fixes were so simple after 2012, and the organization just sat on its hands, loving the fact that they'd built a brand and seemingly treating winning as secondary.

I want my ****ing team back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad