This team is on the right track

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
So im not creating this thread because I'm extremely impressed about how the team is doing or etc it's because I'm seeing great things for the future and we have a lot of qualities that our past teams never had and one of them is the locker room. It's still early and we still have a lot of flaws on the ice but We have a team that even if doesn't have the best chemistry on ice its the case off the ice. Subban, patch, price, the Gallys are the core of our futuRe they know each others well. in the past we had teams with a mix of euros and some na players and when we played bad we couldn't blame anyone as nobody could force Kovalev be a more complete player.

Now the team is completely different we have a group of guys that are playing and know each others well. There is no pressure on one single player even though Davey and patch can be blamed for their struggles sometimes. Subban i thought would get more slack because of his contract but he is playing fine.

We kept doing 5 years plans and we than traded Cammalleri and halak and it seems like we were always on rebuild no matter what. Now with pricey, Subby and patch we have top tier players that we developed in our own organization.

What is lacking is probably a top rw, a rh d and we are serious contenders. Gallagher would than go on the third line and we would have sekac-Eller-Gallagher which would be the best third line in the league. Thats where you can call us contenders. I know there is that dd debate but I think at deadline we may not see him anymore. Galchenyuk at center might not be the best experiment.

I'm just seeing different things that makes me say we are gonna win the cup soon. Allen, Gonchar, Gilbert, weaver are guys that will be here temporaly I suppose. I wasn't a fan of the teams we had in the past but now I'm seeing something different.

Last edited:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
So im not creating this thread because I'm extremely impressed about how the team is doing or etc it's because I'm seeing great things for the future and we have a lot of qualities that our past teams never had and one of them is the locker room. It's still early and we still have a lot of flaws on the ice but We have a team that even if doesn't have the best chemistry on ice its the case off the ice. Subban, patch, price, the Gallys are the core of our futuRe they know each others well. in the past we had teams with a mix of euros and some na players and when we played bad we couldn't blame anyone as nobody could force Kovalev be a more complete player.

Now the team is completely different we have a group of guys that are playing and know each others well. There is no pressure on one single player even though Davey and patch can be blamed for their struggles sometimes. Subban i thought would get more slack because of his contract but he is playing fine.

We kept doing 5 years plans and we than traded Cammalleri and halak and it seems like we were always on rebuild no matter what. Now with pricey, Subby and patch we have top tier players that we developed in our own organization.

What is lacking is probably a top rw, a rh d and we are serious contenders. Gallagher would than go on the third line and we would have sekac-Eller-Gallagher which would be the best third line in the league. Thats where you can call us contenders. I know there is that dd debate but I think at deadline we may not see him anymore. Galchenyuk at center might not be the best experiment.

I'm just seeing different things that makes me say we are gonna win the cup soon. Allen, Gonchar, Gilbert, weaver are guys that will be here temorality I suppose. I wasn't a fan of the teams we had in the past but now I'm seeing something different.

Good post. I like our team too, not only are we good right now but we have really good prospects as well.

I think that Gally needs to be moved to C like you said for this team to really excel. I have been super impressed with Eller and Sekac as well and they will only get better when guys like Scherbak, JDLR and McCarron come along.

Our team is going to be solid for the next 5-7 years and maybe even after that. Our complimentary players will be replaced with rookies soon enough and our core will be excellent at that time.

IMO we are still about 1 or 2 years away from going to the cup final but it is looking realllyyy realllyyy good so far.

Analyzer*

Championships: They're won off the ice.

Team needs:
Number 1 centre
Number 1 RW
Upgraded depth, or just depth that's bigger while being useful.
Number 2 dman for the future, number 3, 5 and 6 dman.

A team shouldn't have that many needs.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I think that MB plan is to go for it next year. Moving Moen and Bourque saves over five million in cap space next year. Gonchar and Allen are just here for this year. I am not saying that this year is a write-off but you can plainly see that this is still a busing year while next year should be the year.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Team needs:
Number 1 centre
Number 1 RW

Galchenyuk will become one

Via trade, agreed though.

Rookies my friend, pattience.

Beaulieu hopefully, Tinordi and FA/Rookie.

The glass is half full, not half empty.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Team needs:
Number 1 centre
Number 1 RW

I think you could pretty much make a similar wishlist for just about every team in the league but at the end of the day, someone still wins the Cup.

Nobody's saying we're perfect, but there's nothing wrong in saying this team is going in the right direction, which it pretty plainly is.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Did not yet read the OP, but the title, I agree with. MB has been a great GM. He has made his rookie mistakes, but he's corrected them for the most part. In general, he's done an exceptional job. The Habs have a great future. I feel really good about this team. If Galchenyuk and Scherbak hit their ceilings, I think this will be one of the better Habs teams we've ever had.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Team needs:
Number 1 centre
Number 1 RW

You're being overly pessimistic.

We have great centre depth, which can make up for the lack of a gamebreaker while we wait for our gamebreaker to develop.

We have a potential top line RW in Scherbak (and even McCarron), but time will tell.

We have elite depth. We have the kind of depth that top teams need to succeed. It's a little more top end talent like Galchenyuk and Scherbak that we need in prominent roles

We have a potential #2 in both Beaulieu and Tinordi. Don't know what more you'd expect, aside from a current top 4 d-man with potential. Our d-lines are good.

Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Nygren

That's a great group. Even without Nygren.

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004
For so many years there were so many things to be negative about. We always hoped with each new coaching change, each new manager change, each new prospect, and each new trade that things might turn around and, of course, they never did. So I get the profound skepticism around here by some. But I think if there was ever a time in the last 20 years (holy crap has it been that long!) to be optimistic, now is the time. There's obviously still work to do, but things are definitely looking up. I think we've actually overachieved over the last couple of years (likely due to the brilliance of our coach... oh yes, I went there... haha...), so we need to be patient and let MB do his thing - still going to be plenty of hiccups along the way! But, yeah, I think we're getting there.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Yes every team has flaws but our flaws aren't huge. Keep in mind that even with these flaws we are a top team. Mb wants to improve this team and at deadline he will probably make another move. IM glad vanek isn't back I want a better na type of forward who plays hard and can score. Type of players like vanek who aren't scoring or playing d can be hard to adjust or blame. We need to learn from vanek and Kovalev. Instead we have patch who plays hard, hits and scores and backchecks which lead to his goal yesteray. We never had this type of player before

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

Team needs:
Number 1 centre
Number 1 RW

Galchenyuk will become one once Desharnais and/or Therrien goes away
Perhaps our only need that cannot be rectified internally
Easily acquirable through free agency plus Bournival
Markov has enough mileage on him to last; Beaulieu and Tinordi will be mainstays soon

Like Hoto said. Every team has something missing as it's next impossible to plug every hole. We have arguably one of the best future proofed rosters in the league due to most of our primary core being in their twenties. A few skewed moves to supplement our depth and find a right winger will vault us into the top tier. Not many teams can boast such a claim.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Every fanbase in the league think that their team will contend in a few years... :laugh:

I mean, it's not impossible for us. We can definitely make it out of the East, but we're not that strong. Just look at our goal differential, for a start.

We really lack some firepower up front and I don't see any prospect to fulfill that role. So it would have to be a trade if we're thinking short to mid-term.

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
Every fanbase in the league think that their team will contend in a few years... :laugh:

I mean, it's not impossible for us. We can definitely make it out of the East, but we're not that strong. Just look at our goal differential, for a start.

We really lack some firepower up front and I don't see any prospect to fulfill that role. So it would have to be a trade if we're thinking short to mid-term.

The good thing is that the Eastern conference in general is as weak as it has ever been. Boston is on the decline, Pittsburgh while having a solid team can collapse if Fleury stinks up the joint, Tampa Bay lacks playoff experience and Bishop hasn't proven anything in the playoffs yet. With a little bit of luck, if the Habs can avoid a potential matchup with the Rangers and Penguins, we got a good chance to make it to the Finals. Even then, the Habs might even manage to beat the Rangers/Penguins with a healthy Price.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There is a reason we don't see dynasties any more. In a cap world, you have to make do with some holes in your lineup. Knowing which deficiencies are manageable and which assets can help you make up for them, is something all great GMs know how to do. No doubt, MB is one of the sharpest around.

Analyzer*

I think you could pretty much make a similar wishlist for just about every team in the league but at the end of the day, someone still wins the Cup.

Nobody's saying we're perfect, but there's nothing wrong in saying this team is going in the right direction, which it pretty plainly is.

You're being overly pessimistic.

We have great centre depth, which can make up for the lack of a gamebreaker while we wait for our gamebreaker to develop.

We have a potential top line RW in Scherbak (and even McCarron), but time will tell.

We have elite depth. We have the kind of depth that top teams need to succeed. It's a little more top end talent like Galchenyuk and Scherbak that we need in prominent roles

We have a potential #2 in both Beaulieu and Tinordi. Don't know what more you'd expect, aside from a current top 4 d-man with potential. Our d-lines are good.

Tinordi - Subban
Beaulieu - Nygren

That's a great group. Even without Nygren.

Offensively, it's looking good.

Goaltending looks good.

Defensively... It looks horrible

Let's start with Subban. Overpaid, but that was expected to happen. Unfortunately, he's not the best defensively and we don't have anyone to help counter that.

Markov he's still decent, but he's on his last contract and will retire soon.

Emelin needs stable presence to make him look better. Again, doesn't have that.

Gilbert, Weaver, Gonchar and Allen all suck and should be gone.

Beaulieu ? His offensive game hasn't even really kicked in yet at the AHL level let a lone the NHL level.

Tinordi has consistency issues.

Nygren is showing offensive prowess at the AHL level, but is he good enough defensively and consistent enough for the NHL ?

Hopefully, next season we'll have a re-tooled blueline.

Subban
one of Beaulieu/Tinordi actually ready to be full time NHLers
Markov
Emelin
Two more dman that would be at least a number 6 on most NHL teams.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The biggest issue for me is behind the bench. I think with an upgrade at the coaching position to someone that better utilizes the assets at hand would go a long way to help the team.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think that MB plan is to go for it next year. Moving Moen and Bourque saves over five million in cap space next year. Gonchar and Allen are just here for this year. I am not saying that this year is a write-off but you can plainly see that this is still a busing year while next year should be the year.

In the NHL you build towards winning, meaning you have to win a few rounds before you can go win a cup, that was started last year and hopefully will continue this year.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

I don't see how this could be his mentality at all. Other than freeing up cap space what has he done? He is keeping Chucky at wing and Beau and Tinordi in Hamilton....if his true intent is to push for next year all 3 would be playing in MTL getting NHL experience in their actual positions.....

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
definitely on a good track...

as soon as we get a proper HC, we'll be on the right track.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Offensively, it's looking good.

Goaltending looks good.

Defensively... It looks horrible

Let's start with Subban. Overpaid, but that was expected to happen. Unfortunately, he's not the best defensively and we don't have anyone to help counter that.

Markov he's still decent, but he's on his last contract and will retire soon.

Emelin needs stable presence to make him look better. Again, doesn't have that.

Gilbert, Weaver, Gonchar and Allen all suck and should be gone.

Beaulieu ? His offensive game hasn't even really kicked in yet at the AHL level let a lone the NHL level.

Tinordi has consistency issues.

Nygren is showing offensive prowess at the AHL level, but is he good enough defensively and consistent enough for the NHL ?

Hopefully, next season we'll have a re-tooled blueline.

Subban
one of Beaulieu/Tinordi actually ready to be full time NHLers
Markov
Emelin
Two more dman that would be at least a number 6 on most NHL teams.

Your analysis of the defense is way off the mark.

The Habs defense is definitely above average if you look around the NHL...could they improve? Sure, but so could 29 other teams.

Subban hasn't had a great start, maybe too worried about his contract...hopefully yesterday's game gets him going.

Markov has been excellent, he's a lot better than you give him credit for, he's been our best d-man this year.

Gilbert and Emelin are not great but they are NHL caliber #3-4 guys...ideally you add a higher end #3, but that's easier said than done, everybody is looking for help on D. Unfortunaly on here, people obsess over every goal that Emelin is on the ice and blame him. Every NHL d-man gets beat from time to time, I can remember countless times where Chara has looked like a pylon against us...pretty sure most posters would take him...

Gonchar has solidified the #5 spot, he plays a smart composed game, poor man's Markov...he's been better than I expected, especially 5 on 5. Obviously his minutes will ideally be 15-18 at most except for a game here and there(OT or a lot of PP's).

#6 is work in progress, Weaver can be effective but more so in small doses. Allen has struggled, but I expect he will get a longer look. I think Beaulieu-Tinordi and possibly Pateryn-Nygren could all get looks before the trade deadline.

Analyzer*

Your analysis of the defense is way off the mark.

The Habs defense is definitely above average if you look around the NHL...could they improve? Sure, but so could 29 other teams.

Subban hasn't had a great start, maybe too worried about his contract...hopefully yesterday's game gets him going.

Markov has been excellent, he's a lot better than you give him credit for, he's been our best d-man this year.

Gilbert and Emelin are not great but they are NHL caliber #3-4 guys...ideally you add a higher end #3, but that's easier said than done, everybody is looking for help on D. Unfortunaly on here, people obsess over every goal that Emelin is on the ice and blame him. Every NHL d-man gets beat from time to time, I can remember countless times where Chara has looked like a pylon against us...pretty sure most posters would take him...

Gonchar has solidified the #5 spot, he plays a smart composed game, poor man's Markov...he's been better than I expected, especially 5 on 5. Obviously his minutes will ideally be 15-18 at most except for a game here and there(OT or a lot of PP's).

#6 is work in progress, Weaver can be effective but more so in small doses. Allen has struggled, but I expect he will get a longer look. I think Beaulieu-Tinordi and possibly Pateryn-Nygren could all get looks before the trade deadline.

Emelin could be a decent number 4, providing the number 3 is good. Unfortunately, he's suppose to be a number 3, with a bad number 4.

Gonchar has more good/safe plays than bad plays so far, I'll give you that. Still, shouldn't be a long-term solution. By long-term, I mean past the deadline.

I'd be surprised if they're up before the deadline (I'd say anything until about a week, or so before) I can see Allen and Gonchar (Weaver?) being traded for 7th round picks to give teams depth. Gonchar could be higher.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Our greatest need right now is a Top 6 winger preferably RW.
The depth/balance even one player can add is remarkable.
Most of our other needs can be addressed internally.
The piece up front is critical IMO it will ultimately determine the fate of our first line center.
Once that is resolved we can determine where to tweak, and how much to invest on D...

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Our defense isn't as bad as people make it seem, only issue right now is I'd rather just have Beaulieu or Tinordi in full time over Allen and Weaver to improve the mobility. Gilbert has been pretty decent after a rough start to the year, haven't been impressed with him on the PP but otherwise he's been solid.

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Tinordi/Beaulieu - Gonchar

Having a veteran puckmover like Gonchar will help either of the kids a lot.

Getting rid of Desharnais and adding a top 6 winger could make this team really good, our offense improved a ton after getting Vanek so hopefully we're able to add some forward help. Prust always seems to elevate his game on the third line (didn't look out of place with the Gally's before) so I don't have a problem with him on the third line for now.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Parenteau
?? - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Eller - Sekac
Bournival - Malholtra - Weise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad