This team has lost just about every "must win" game. What happened to pesky?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Hard to be pesky, when your goalies aren't playing like god like last year.

Do you actually think we were good last year? lol...we were just as bad, but our goalies stood on their heads..

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Brent Wallace was on TSN1200 a few days ago and spoke about the team's mental state. He mentioned that he spoke with someone on the team and he basically admitted that the team knew they were done a while ago and are just going through the motions.

the tribute

May 10, 2011
IMO, last year we had a bunch of guys the we absolutely rely on to win games go out due to injury, we had a coach who could almost clean slate his message. The kids were just excited to be up playing in the NHL and gave it their all, fortunately or unfortunately? this makes the constant lack of effort of our "stars" look pretty bad, this year just goes to show that any mistake can cost you and we've been complacent and let it happen.

same **** was happening when we traded away fisher, kelly.

MtRundle

We once were warriors.
Apr 29, 2013
Toronto
The ice is tilted towards us.
We have no possession, can't breakout of our own end, give up the puck in the neutral zone, and play very little in the opponents end and a whole lot in our own.
Lots of "skill" but few players other than Karlsson who can skate with the puck.

Berserker*

We were forced to work hard last year just to compete. This year we added a bunch of skill as both Karlsson and Spezza were healthy and we traded for Ryan. Since then, we have tried to rely more so on our skill to win games rather then our tenacity.

SenatorsHockey

Sweet hockey body
Jan 6, 2009
Ottawa
Brent Wallace was on TSN1200 a few days ago and spoke about the team's mental state. He mentioned that he spoke with someone on the team and he basically admitted that the team knew they were done a while ago and are just going through the motions.

What a bunch of ****ing losers. Why should I even watch them if that's the attitude..

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Well...

Couple of years ago played in the season and knew we were done but you know what, I still tried my best and I rallied the troops and I worked my ass off to score goals and make nice plays because I knew that my mom and my dad loved to see me play, and they paid $ to see me and they put in effort to see me.

I've been a fan of this team for a while, the season we drafted Cowen and the one we drafted Zibanejad were hard seasons, but this year is rock bottom.

We came in this season, every one of us with good expectations, not too high, but some good you know. There are some of us who act like they are Mr.Perfect and that we sucked and everything last year is a fluke, but I don't. People expected us to contend for our division..... that was maybe too high, but I did expect us to make the playoffs with the skill we have on this team.

What is pissing me off is that, these guys they get paid hugeeeeeeeeeeeee $$$$, I live far from Ottawa, but I still buy stuff, and I pay for tickets and gas to go see the team, I'll watch every game until the end of my life, but it's pissing me off that the owner and the players take me for granted. They really give me the impression to not give a **** and that's what's pissing me off, these guys should work their ***** off to keep their jobs, guys like Phillips and Neil should lead the way because they don't look very good and they should show something cause maybe sometimes soon they will see that they no longer have their place in the NHL. Guys like Condra and Greening are borderline NHLers and should work everyday to keep their jobs and everything.... if not then bring some other people that can do it, heck I'll go and do it.

Young players in this league, Karlsson, Turris, Zibanejad and Lehner, they should work to improve their games, strive for greatness. The thing with this franchise is that it seems to accept failure, it's what's pissing me off the most, starting with the owner, doesn't seem pissed to lose.

Well, I enjoy talking to you about that guys, I know it's just a game and everything but it's one of the things I like the most in life outside of the familly the work and the hockey (playing), being a fan is really nice, but this year has been hard, we can all agree

EDIT: Can we see Lazar play this year when WHL is done or he's not allowed to play in the NHL?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We were forced to work hard last year just to compete. This year we added a bunch of skill as both Karlsson and Spezza were healthy and we traded for Ryan. Since then, we have tried to rely more so on our skill to win games rather then our tenacity.

I tend to lean in this direction as well, but do think our goaltending being vezina-level made the team look tons better then they were last year. I disagree that we were just as bad in our own zone last year though. We allowed lots of shots but they were not all a result of terrible coverage or turnovers.

The team plays the wrong system and the coach needs to be blamed for it. He doesn't have a three-headed goaltending monster to cover his mistakes anymore.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well...

Couple of years ago played in the season and knew we were done but you know what, I still tried my best and I rallied the troops and I worked my ass off to score goals and make nice plays because I knew that my mom and my dad loved to see me play, and they paid $ to see me and they put in effort to see me.

I've been a fan of this team for a while, the season we drafted Cowen and the one we drafted Zibanejad were hard seasons, but this year is rock bottom.

We came in this season, every one of us with good expectations, not too high, but some good you know. There are some of us who act like they are Mr.Perfect and that we sucked and everything last year is a fluke, but I don't. People expected us to contend for our division..... that was maybe too high, but I did expect us to make the playoffs with the skill we have on this team.

What is pissing me off is that, these guys they get paid hugeeeeeeeeeeeee $$$$, I live far from Ottawa, but I still buy stuff, and I pay for tickets and gas to go see the team, I'll watch every game until the end of my life, but it's pissing me off that the owner and the players take me for granted. They really give me the impression to not give a **** and that's what's pissing me off, these guys should work their ***** off to keep their jobs, guys like Phillips and Neil should lead the way because they don't look very good and they should show something cause maybe sometimes soon they will see that they no longer have their place in the NHL. Guys like Condra and Greening are borderline NHLers and should work everyday to keep their jobs and everything.... if not then bring some other people that can do it, heck I'll go and do it.

Young players in this league, Karlsson, Turris, Zibanejad and Lehner, they should work to improve their games, strive for greatness. The thing with this franchise is that it seems to accept failure, it's what's pissing me off the most, starting with the owner, doesn't seem pissed to lose.

Well, I enjoy talking to you about that guys, I know it's just a game and everything but it's one of the things I like the most in life outside of the familly the work and the hockey (playing), being a fan is really nice, but this year has been hard, we can all agree

EDIT: Can we see Lazar play this year when WHL is done or he's not allowed to play in the NHL?

Well said.

Too many guys taking their spot on the roster for granted. And they know that Murray is soft and they don't have to work as hard as other teams (Boston, etc). There's still that lingering country club culture on this team.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
What a bunch of ****ing losers. Why should I even watch them if that's the attitude..

Sorry, that was sort of a poor quote from memory. This is what Brent Wallace said when asked if they were going to get up for the NYR game tonight:
“No, I don’t think they are going to get up for this (game). I sat and I remember… I talked to some people after the Calgary game as they were on their way out and headed to Banff. And the tone of (those conversations) was ‘We’re done’. And they sensed it then and I just think that they know now they’re done.â€

Not quite what I said, but along the same lines. Source is here: http://www.the6thsens.com/2014-articles/march/tsn-s-brent-wallace-gets-candid-on-in-the-box.html with a link to the audio if you want to listen. It's a good candid listen.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Sorry, that was sort of a poor quote from memory. This is what Brent Wallace said when asked if they were going to get up for the NYR game tonight:

Not quite what I said, but along the same lines. Source is here: http://www.the6thsens.com/2014-articles/march/tsn-s-brent-wallace-gets-candid-on-in-the-box.html with a link to the audio if you want to listen. It's a good candid listen.

Worst part is they still had a chance to redeem themselves after the Calgary game. Clearly there is zero positive chemistry left in that room.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada

Hard to believe, they could've still been in the hunt and are not even totally out of it yet.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

Ugh. They had two games in hand for the teams they were trying to catch and multiple games to play against those teams... plenty of ways to easily catch up ground.

To give up that early is just disheartening.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Worst part is they still had a chance to redeem themselves after the Calgary game. Clearly there is zero positive chemistry left in that room.

I don't know. They hadn't shown an ability to play consistently outside of one slightly good streak. After the Calgary game is when I kinda thought it was over. If they couldn't get two wins out of those team, how were they supposed to come back east and beat the teams ahead of them that also need those points?

The number of teams they had to/have to pass is just way too high. If they are 5 or 6 points out with no one between them and the last spot? Okay, I can see it happening. 6 points out with 4 or 5 teams between them and the wildcard? Nope. They just weren't going to outplay that many teams.

Definitely something very wrong with this team though. It's pretty difficult not to look at coaching. Has just been so bizarre this year. But I don't see how that would steal the fire this team had to win last year.

And most concerning to me is how this seems to have gotten to Ryan already. How long before Hemsky gives up?

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
I'd say the whole pesky thing was totally overdone. People can say what they want about last year, but we hadn't really seen this team face true adversity until this year. Last year was a bunch of kids stepping up to replace injuries while having 0 expectations on them.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I don't know. They hadn't shown an ability to play consistently outside of one slightly good streak. After the Calgary game is when I kinda thought it was over. If they couldn't get two wins out of those team, how were they supposed to come back east and beat the teams ahead of them that also need those points?

The number of teams they had to/have to pass is just way too high. If they are 5 or 6 points out with no one between them and the last spot? Okay, I can see it happening. 6 points out with 4 or 5 teams between them and the wildcard? Nope. They just weren't going to outplay that many teams.

Well as I said above we had 2 games in hand to most of those teams still. Teams like NYR and MTL we also had at least two games against... so right there is 8 points you can pick up to close the gap on two different teams with 6 wins. I mean yes, we pretty much would need to have won at a .750 pace probably to really make that push, but going 7-2-1 over ten games is not out of the question for any team that deserves to be in the playoffs. Keeping it up over twenty games is a bit tougher but so long as you win against the right teams, and make it to OT against a few others you make things interesting and stay in the mix.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Well as I said above we had 2 games in hand to most of those teams still. Teams like NYR and MTL we also had at least two games against... so right there is 8 points you can pick up to close the gap on two different teams with 6 wins. I mean yes, we pretty much would need to have won at a .750 pace probably to really make that push, but going 7-2-1 over ten games is not out of the question for any team that deserves to be in the playoffs. Keeping it up over twenty games is a bit tougher but so long as you win against the right teams, and make it to OT against a few others you make things interesting and stay in the mix.

I get that, I just mean that after they lost against the lowly Alberta teams in pretty important games for their playoff hopes, I dont see how anybody could have expected them to come back and beat better teams.

It is pretty interesting how our last 10 games have been the "last chance, must win", yet we keep extending it to the next game after a loss, expecting this team that just disappointed us again to post an even more impressive record and make it.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I get that, I just mean that after they lost against the lowly Alberta teams in pretty important games for their playoff hopes, I dont see how anybody could have expected them to come back and beat better teams.

It is pretty interesting how our last 10 games have been the "last chance, must win", yet we keep extending it to the next game after a loss, expecting this team that just disappointed us again to post an even more impressive record and make it.

Yeah. I'm done any expectations now. 4 of our next 5 games have no impact on trying to catch playoff teams and our game in hand doesn't even move us up a spot anymore.

I just want to see Detroit miss at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad