Confirmed with Link: This team continues to play players through injuries and f*** the prospects (Mangiapane shoulder surgery)

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Well tbh we don't know the whole story. When was he injured? How severe was it? Did he elect to play through it till the end of the season?

Don't have all the info to shit on the organization for their handling of it honestly.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Well tbh we don't know the whole story. When was he injured? How severe was it? Did he elect to play through it till the end of the season?

Don't have all the info to shit on the organization for their handling of it honestly.
He had tweaked something back in training camp, and then Mangiapane proceeded to look off virtually the entire season. It is not hard to postulate we were watching an injured Mangiapane for the entire season who would need surgery.

There is no benefit of the doubt after what happened with Monahan. Chalk it down to my speculation.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
There is also talking to the player, and seeing how bad he thinks it is, and what he can play through. Remember we were supposed to compete this year. Mangiapane might have downplayed it and it got worse throughout the year.

Not many professional athletes want to sit out the whole year and have surgery, so I think that he might have had something to do with it. That being said Malhoney needs to go through the medical staff as well, because you are right, it is a trend.

Most noteably Oliver coming back after getting destroyed with that concussion.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
f***.

This team's gotta start taking this out of the players' hands and support the diagnosis from team doctors.

Has there been an organization that has made a 76 or 78 game max mandate for shit like this? I wouldn't mind us being the first. Injury or healthy scratch to give the kids a cup of coffee. 76-78 games max.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Buffalo did that with Eichel. Players will fiercely push back on that
That was completely different. With Eichel there was no debate over whether he was injured or if he should play through it, it was over what kind of surgery he should get.

Versus the Flames mentality of why ruin one season when you can ruin two. Don't worry I'll spell it out.

See, they could have contained the damage to just this past season by getting the surgery immediately after the injury in training camp. Spend some months rehabbing than come back for the playoff push. Meanwhile, someone like Ruzicka or Pelletier fill in and get NHL experience.

Instead, they let Mangiapane play injured all year, wasting the season. He gets the surgery in the off season meaning a shorter summer spent rehabbing instead of training, meaning he'll be less prepared and possibly suboptimal for next year too. That's how an organization run by clowns like the Flames manage to ruin two seasons instead of one. And that was exactly what happened to Monahan year after year. Because the Flames and huge chunk of the fanbase seem to take an enormous amount of pride in not learning from their past mistakes and in general, being as dumb as possible.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Buffalo did that with Eichel. Players will fiercely push back on that
Different situation entirely though.

Sean Monahan decides he can play through the pain, probably ruined his career.

Andrew Mangiapane decides he can play through the pain, looks completely out of place all season. Who knows if there was long term damage done as a result of playing through that injury.

The list goes on. Tanev. Kadri. Huberdeau. Andersson. Kylington. Probably more that I'm forgetting.

Playing through injury could cost these guys millions of dollars by shortening their career.

Reactions: Boomstick

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Different situation entirely though.

Sean Monahan decides he can play through the pain, probably ruined his career.

Andrew Mangiapane decides he can play through the pain, looks completely out of place all season. Who knows if there was long term damage done as a result of playing through that injury.

The list goes on. Tanev. Kadri. Huberdeau. Andersson. Kylington. Probably more that I'm forgetting.

Playing through injury could cost these guys millions of dollars by shortening their career.
I just meant in general, players will push back on team control.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
Becareful what you wish for...
If Team or 3rd party Doctors had the power to place players on IR, without players having a say, there would be a lot of full seasons missed.
Imagine putting together the "list" of what warrants missing the rest of the season.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
What competitive sport did you play Mr professional?
Didn’t say professional, don’t get too jealous on me.

I don’t know the story but OP said he “tweaked” something. Do we really expect a player who “tweaked” something to sit out an entire season? If so, you better be ready for SPHL call ups playing in the NHL every year.

Call it toxic hockey culture, but it’s expected for guys to play through pain. If the Doctor says you can play, you better play - it’s the expectation and there will definitely be a level of disapproval amongst the locker room and coaches if you don’t.

Now, the notion that’s been implied that Mangiapane made the decision to play is absurd. Like, do we really not think an NHL team that has access to a plethora of experts would allow a player to make the call?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Now, the notion that’s been implied that Mangiapane made the decision to play is absurd. Like, do we really not think an NHL team that has access to a plethora of experts would allow a player to make the call?
Funny, because this is exactly how Sean Monahan was handled, whether it was his decision or the team's doesn't really matter. The minute the Flames were eliminated from contention he was pulled from the lineup and had surgery. We can extrapolate from this chain of events that the injury was serious enough to require surgery in the first place, and someone (either the team or Sean) decided that it was more important to play instead of listening to the advice of team experts and having the surgery to correct the problem. All that happened was exacerbating the injury to the player, and likely ruining his career in the process.

That a similar path is being demonstrated with respect to Mangiapane and others on the team is concerning. Both from a risk management standpoint, and an asset management standpoint.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
Funny, because this is exactly how Sean Monahan was handled, whether it was his decision or the team's doesn't really matter. The minute the Flames were eliminated from contention he was pulled from the lineup and had surgery. We can extrapolate from this chain of events that the injury was serious enough to require surgery in the first place, and someone (either the team or Sean) decided that it was more important to play instead of listening to the advice of team experts and having the surgery to correct the problem. All that happened was exacerbating the injury to the player, and likely ruining his career in the process.

That a similar path is being demonstrated with respect to Mangiapane and others on the team is concerning. Both from a risk management standpoint, and an asset management standpoint.
And we know that the advice from team experts and doctors was to stop playing and have the surgery beyond a shadow of doubt?

Like, don’t misinterpret my post. If a doctor said that then he should be out. But I highly doubt if that was said that the Flames nor Sean would have had the power to keep him in the lineup by overruling the Doctors.

The general rule wherever I’ve played or coached is “what the Doctor/AT says goes” - I doubt that’s any different in the NHL.

Seems like you guys should take your issues up with medical professionals - not the Flames, nor players who want to keep playing.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
bvridDl.png

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The general rule wherever I’ve played or coached is “what the Doctor/AT says goes” - I doubt that’s any different in the NHL.
It's a general rule, but naive to think that's actually followed to the letter in pro-sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00