Speculation: This seasons Black Aces

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
After reading the tweet below from Powers about Fortin's exploits at crunch time, I thought I'd start a thread speculating who the Black Aces will be this season, and if there is any chance any of them will play. Hayden looks like a lock http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...-for-two-open-spots-in-postseason-lineup/amp/ ..... and I can see Forsling as a possibility. It looks like Fortin won't be available as he is busy playing but who will be on that squad this season? Any surprises in store?

Last edited:

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Everyone currently on the roster (that includes Hino), motte, Forsling, and a goalie. We have more than enough guys right now that we don't need a Fortin or Debrincat on reserve.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Everyone currently on the roster (that includes Hino), motte, Forsling, and a goalie. We have more than enough guys right now that we don't need a Fortin or Debrincat on reserve.

I don't know if there any rules when it comes to the number of players that can be included on the list?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
My guess: (assuming Black Aces means zero chance of playing)

Motte
Louis
Iacopelli
Latta
Baun

Snuggerud
Forsling
Pokka

Glass
Johansson

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Still surprised Motte never got another call up. Has he not progressed much in RFD? He showed some glimpses early in the season that made me think he would be a regular by now.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I don't know if there any rules when it comes to the number of players that can be included on the list?

I don't believe so, but Hawks currently have a whopping 16 forwards and 8 defensemen on the team. Throw in Motte and Forsling, and it'll be 17 and 9.

We have plenty of options in case of injury, I just don't see why we'd throw more guys into the locker room (and possibly disrupt team chemistry).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I don't believe so, but Hawks currently have a whopping 16 forwards and 8 defensemen on the team. Throw in Motte and Forsling, and it'll be 17 and 9.

We have plenty of options in case of injury, I just don't see why we'd throw more guys into the locker room (and possibly disrupt team chemistry).

It does not mess with chemistry at all. You want them for practice bodies and so they can learn about the playoffs.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It does not mess with chemistry at all. You want them for practice bodies and so they can learn about the playoffs.

I just think there is a point where you hit diminishing returns with the amount of players you have. That having well over 30 guys in a locker room might start to be an annoyance for the core.

Like I said, I expect Motte to join. That'd give us 5 extra forwards. I also expect Forsling to join, which would give us 3 extra defensemen. Add a goalie or two, and we'll have enough men available.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

It also massages some egos. Unfortunately some of these guys will never play for the Hawks, but one day they'll be able to tell their grand kids how close they came.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It also massages some egos. Unfortunately some of these guys will never play for the Hawks, but one day they'll be able to tell their grand kids how close they came.

Yep.

CMS - They are not really in the room other than practices so no need to worry about that.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Rockford isn't going to be in the playoffs so basically anyone on the Rockford roster, which includes the signed NCAA and JR players whose seasons have ended.

JR players currently in playoffs:

OHL:
DeBrincat (Erie) going into 2nd round (waiting to face Windsor/London winner)
Knott (Windsor) playing Game#7 tonight for right to face Erie in 2nd round.

QMJHL:
Highmore (St. John) going into 2nd round
Fortin (Rouyn Noranda) going into 2nd round

WHL:
Bondra (Prince George) eliminated from playoffs but has not signed with Hawks yet.
Dahlstrom (Medicine Hat) going into 2nd round (waiting to play Red Deer/Lethbridge winner)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They'll be in the room for practices and Cup clinching games, and that's it.

I imagine you'll basically see whichever Hawks that saw the ice in an actual Hawks game this year as the main Black Aces, with a couple extras tacked on that the Hawks think could draw into the lineup if there's a serious injury.

Aestivalis

Oct 29, 2013
I just think there is a point where you hit diminishing returns with the amount of players you have. That having well over 30 guys in a locker room might start to be an annoyance for the core.

Like I said, I expect Motte to join. That'd give us 5 extra forwards. I also expect Forsling to join, which would give us 3 extra defensemen. Add a goalie or two, and we'll have enough men available.

Is there anyone else on the Rockford roster you could see who needs to come up? If anything, another center would be appreciated, making Michael Latta the only other reasonably NHL seasoned forward to recall. Add Jeff Glass and then you have 6 extra forwards, 3 defensemen (including Forsling), and 1 goalie. Other than that, only Svedberg and Gustafsson have playoff experience (don't even consider Mashinter!), and no doubt Q has soured on them.

Junior players and Rockford lifers need not apply, they can go home without fear of getting recalled.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Still surprised Motte never got another call up. Has he not progressed much in RFD? He showed some glimpses early in the season that made me think he would be a regular by now.

He was sent down on January 3. Since that time, the Hawks have gone 27-10-3 and incurred no major injuries at wing. He's better off in Rockford.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
He was sent down on January 3. Since that time, the Hawks have gone 27-10-3 and incurred no major injuries at wing. He's better off in Rockford.

I'm just surprised. Seemed some people on this board thought he was the most ready rookie out of the group this fall and I expected him to go down for a month or so and come back up like Schmaltz. Just never happened. He could easily have Hayden's spot right now. Hayden has played well and deserves it, but he also just showed up two weeks ago. Motte could have been there all along.

idontusethisanymore

This is joshprost99
Apr 6, 2016

I agree. We have so much forward depth that there isn't really a need to put someone like DeBrincat on our roster right now.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I'm just surprised. Seemed some people on this board thought he was the most ready rookie out of the group this fall and I expected him to go down for a month or so and come back up like Schmaltz. Just never happened. He could easily have Hayden's spot right now. Hayden has played well and deserves it, but he also just showed up two weeks ago. Motte could have been there all along.

The ankle injury really set him back.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
There always seems to be fewer Black Aces than we predict.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL

Who says they will be in the locker room? they'll probably be sitting in the box suites.

I'm sure some games they may be in the locker room, or some players will but I doubt they will have 30+ guys + staff + whoever else all in the same room. :laugh:

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
The Ice Hogs season doesn't end until Saturday, after they're done is when a lot of the extra callups happen. Forsling is up so we have 8D, 16F, and 3G so they have plenty of extra bodies as is.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Other than continuing to skate, being on the Black Aces gives an opportunity for guys to be around the team in some minor capacity. It also allows them to soak up the playoff atmosphere at the top level so they get a taste of what it takes to be there. Don't expect any of them to get in the lineup, but it's a good way for an organization to give credit to players that are progressing in the right direction and reward them with a unique experience and hopefully give them motivation for striving to get there.

At the same time, I think it can say a lot about guys that 'should' be close to making the jump but don't get asked to be a part of the Black Aces and how the organization views them. I'm looking at you Mark McNeill.

Let's wait until the Hogs season is done to see who may get called up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad