Speculation: This Season and Beyond

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
briere maybe, timonen...nah, he will go. Only has a few months left as a flyer, he's likely retiring. I doubt we will get much for either guy, so I'm not expecting to get a blue chip stud here.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. i could see a team like the Rangers, Blackhawks, Kings, Blues look at Kimmo as that last piece between them and a cup. With his contract coming off the books next season he becomes even more attractive. I could see a team parting with a very good piece for him. Kimmo and a 2nd for Bernier? Kimmo for Jake Allen ? Kimmo for Mcilrath plus? This shortened season is going to give teams the impression that they are able to compete. IN such a condensed season there will be very few sellers and if we are one of them Kimmo is going to be at many teams wish list. Briere not so much because of the years he has left.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Why are they a less talented team? It is essentially the same team with an arguably better defense (potentially MUCH better if Schenn plays up to his potential and Mez returns fully healthy and plays well).

El Dandy*

A lot of my expectations ride on the Brothers Schenn.

I expect Luke to return to Top 4 form.
I expect Brayden to be healthy.
I expect Brayden to become a contributing Top 6 guy
I expect Brayden to crack 30+ points.
I expect Brayden to score 10+ goals.

A lot of this season rides on the development of the Schenn's and Couturier. If they progress like they should, they we'll be in tremendous shape. If they stay complacent or even regress? Don't want to think about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
A lot of my expectations ride on the Brothers Schenn.

I expect Luke to return to Top 4 form.
I expect Brayden to be healthy.
I expect Brayden to become a contributing Top 6 guy
I expect Brayden to crack 50+ points.
I expect Brayden to score 20+ goals.

A lot of this season rides on the development of the Schenn's and Couturier. If they progress like they should, they we'll be in tremendous shape. If they stay complacent or even regress? Don't want to think about it.

is that in terms of an 82 game season or this shortened season of 48?

On top of that I would really like to see Schenn at Center. I think we are doing a disservice to him by not allowing him to play there and in fact are lowering his value.

El Dandy*

is that in terms of an 82 game season or this shortened season of 48?

On top of that I would really like to see Schenn at Center. I think we are doing a disservice to him by not allowing him to play there and in fact are lowering his value.

Yeah... I'm still in an 82 games season frame of mind lol Totally slipped my mind for whatever reason.

How about 10 goals and 30 points for Schenn?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I wouldnt be so sure of that. i could see a team like the Rangers, Blackhawks, Kings, Blues look at Kimmo as that last piece between them and a cup. With his contract coming off the books next season he becomes even more attractive. I could see a team parting with a very good piece for him. Kimmo and a 2nd for Bernier? Kimmo for Jake Allen ? Kimmo for Mcilrath plus? This shortened season is going to give teams the impression that they are able to compete. IN such a condensed season there will be very few sellers and if we are one of them Kimmo is going to be at many teams wish list. Briere not so much because of the years he has left.
I'll agree about its going to be a sellers market for reasons you outlined. Kings don't need KT (they don't need anything really...so stacked). Rags won't deal mcilrath for KT. He's girardis replacement I think.

I could see the blues dealing allen...I think they would really want briere...

My preference is to get high picks or a dman prospect, not Gs.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'll agree about its going to be a sellers market for reasons you outlined. Kings don't need KT (they don't need anything really...so stacked). Rags won't deal mcilrath for KT. He's girardis replacement I think.

I could see the blues dealing allen...I think they would really want briere...

My preference is to get high picks or a dman prospect, not Gs.

Teams dont need many things at the trade deadline. But for a win now team such as the few i listed getting a luxury item such as kimmo can become very enticing. We did not need versteeg at the trade deadline. Scoring was not an issue for that team, but the luxury of having 3 legit scoring lines was too much to pass up.

WE are going to amnesty brz and when we do it will be goalie chaos. It would have been nice to have held on to BoB to fill in the gap. But literally who are we going to put in net once Bryz is gone?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Teams dont need many things at the trade deadline. But for a win now team such as the few i listed getting a luxury item such as kimmo can become very enticing. We did not need versteeg at the trade deadline. Scoring was not an issue for that team, but the luxury of having 3 legit scoring lines was too much to pass up.

WE are going to amnesty brz and when we do it will be goalie chaos. It would have been nice to have held on to BoB to fill in the gap. But literally who are we going to put in net once Bryz is gone?
I'm sure there will be serviceable guys available. I'm far more concerned with who will fill KTs shoes.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm sure there will be serviceable guys available. I'm far more concerned with who will fill KTs shoes.

I really dont see those shoes being replaced for a long time if ever. Teams really do a good job of holding on to top pairing dmen.

None look to be free agents any time soon. I think the best we will be able to do is get a guy like JBO or draft someone.

Phoneix looks like a prime trading candidate for us. It will be interesting to see what would we be willing to give up.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I really dont see those shoes being replaced for a long time if ever. Teams really do a good job of holding on to top pairing dmen.

None look to be free agents any time soon. I think the best we will be able to do is get a guy like JBO or draft someone.

Phoneix looks like a prime trading candidate for us. It will be interesting to see what would we be willing to give up.
Yea...agree, it will be hard. That's our problem. Farm system *****, so nothing much to trade.

This is why I'm far more in the do nothing camp.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Look at that contract. His production is not what it use to be. Someone has to be the Captain.

Someone has to be captain. It won't be a guy they're about to amnesty.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
There's no way Zetterberg gets amnestied. For all the hype Dastyuk gets (and rightfully so), Zetterberg isn't far behind him.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There's no way Zetterberg gets amnestied. For all the hype Dastyuk gets (and rightfully so), Zetterberg isn't far behind him.

If they dont , they will be penalized once he is retired and have to face the consequences of paying a diminishing start that money and having his cap hit on the salary cap for 3 years he is not there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be more concerned with Franzen not finishing his contract than Zetterberg. Those guys in Detroit stick around forever it seems.

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
I'd like to see us not make any big moves this year, hold on to our prospects and picks, as I don't think we're a top contender this year, playoff team yes, just not a favorite. With so many young players on the team, I think we make a run in a few years. Sorry Kimmo

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I'd like to see us not make any big moves this year, hold on to our prospects and picks, as I don't think we're a top contender this year, playoff team yes, just not a favorite. With so many young players on the team, I think we make a run in a few years. Sorry Kimmo

Yeah, I agree - with Pronger, we had a shot. Without, I see us as a borderline playoff team in the 6-9 range. I don't hold out much hope due to our lack of defensive depth, so I won't be upset by losses this year. I don't know how to remedy the situation. With Kimmo retiring soon and with no other solid defensive prospect or signings in the future, I don't know how the team will compete for a Cup this year or anywhere in the future short of obtaining some serious defensemen. And since these D-men usually get scooped up by their own teams (Weber for example), I don't see how we get any short of a trade.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
I would wager Matt Read is a goner either at the deadline or over the summer. So I hope he has a great year.

We have him for another year after this...why would they trade him?

I expected them to struggle last year. I think this year is gonna be the year that they do, unless Mesz, Grossmann and Schenn al step their **** up. If all of our defensemen play at the level they're capable of, they're actually a pretty decent D. That is the hope. Even then, Kimmo's departure next year is an issue.

My expectation is that the Schenn trade and Bryz contract start to stink even more once we see what JVR and Bob do elsewhere.

Last edited:

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I think Homer should take a serious run at Perry. I feel like our offense is going to be too dependent on G to carry the scoring load, and that having a second elite scoring threat could really make our offense scary with the depth and youth it already has.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I think Homer should take a serious run at Perry. I feel like our offense is going to be too dependent on G to carry the scoring load, and that having a second elite scoring threat could really make our offense scary with the depth and youth it already has.

I'm not worried about scoring, I'm worried about defense. I think scoring will come around (in spite of our 3 goals in 2 games so far). I think our defense will suffer long term, and especially after Kimmo calls it quits.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
lets hope he hits ufa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad