Speculation: This Season and Beyond

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Some Hopes , expectations, and Predictions for this year.

Hopes:

Schenn becomes a legit top 4 Dman capable of playing up to 25 min a game if need be and shutting opponents down.

Couturier, is able to show some of his talented offensive game some this year and is not entirely looked upon to fulfill a defensive role.

B. Schenn. Becomes a point producer for us. We need his offense.

Expectations:

This year I have no expectations for us, last year was a surprise and this year will be a surprise if we do as well as we did last year. We are a less talented team than last year and I have no illusions of coming out of the East this year. I think if our Young guys can step it up some we can show we will be a force in the future but that is it.

Predictions:

I think we are going to get off to a slow start and Its going to be difficult for us to recover. There are many improved teams in the East this year and I think we will either miss the playoffs entirely or get a 7-8 seed.

I actually hope we are out of the playoff hunt by the time the trade deadline comes around. We have some pieces that would be be prime trade candidates such as Kimmo and maybe even Briere.

I do feel that Kimmo could really be dealt at the deadline as a way of giving him one last chance to win a stanley cup. Many teams will be in the hunt for the playoffs and i expect us to get very good value for him or anyone else we trade.

Beyond this season.....

The CBA makes for some very interesting possibilities in the future. When you look around the league at who could possibly be amnestied it presents some intriguing scenarios going forward.

Just off the top of my head I see many talented players who could be considered for the amnesty.

Zetterberg
Lecavalier
Bouwmeester
Luongo
Franzen
Hossa
Leino
Brian Campbell

There will be a bevy of talent available and these players may consider taking less money for a shot at the cup.

I also think that Bryz has to be amnestied. Simply because of his age and contract length. Even if he puts together a couple of good seasons the flyers will probably be forced to amnesty him.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Some Hopes , expectations, and Predictions for this year.

Hopes:

Schenn becomes a legit top 4 Dman capable of playing up to 25 min a game if need be and shutting opponents down.

Couturier, is able to show some of his talented offensive game some this year and is not entirely looked upon to fulfill a defensive role.

B. Schenn. Becomes a point producer for us. We need his offense.

Expectations:

This year I have no expectations for us, last year was a surprise and this year will be a surprise if we do as well as we did last year. We are a less talented team than last year and I have no illusions of coming out of the East this year. I think if our Young guys can step it up some we can show we will be a force in the future but that is it.

Predictions:

I think we are going to get off to a slow start and Its going to be difficult for us to recover. There are many improved teams in the East this year and I think we will either miss the playoffs entirely or get a 7-8 seed.

I actually hope we are out of the playoff hunt by the time the trade deadline comes around. We have some pieces that would be be prime trade candidates such as Kimmo and maybe even Briere.

I do feel that Kimmo could really be dealt at the deadline as a way of giving him one last chance to win a stanley cup. Many teams will be in the hunt for the playoffs and i expect us to get very good value for him or anyone else we trade.

Beyond this season.....

The CBA makes for some very interesting possibilities in the future. When you look around the league at who could possibly be amnestied it presents some intriguing scenarios going forward.

Just off the top of my head I see many talented players who could be considered for the amnesty.

Zetterberg
Lecavalier
Bouwmeester
Luongo
Franzen
Hossa
Leino
Brian Campbell

There will be a bevy of talent available and these players may consider taking less money for a shot at the cup.

I also think that Bryz has to be amnestied. Simply because of his age and contract length. Even if he puts together a couple of good seasons the flyers will probably be forced to amnesty him.
i can easily see your hopes happening.

I dont think last year was all that surprising.

I do think this is going to be a bit of a down year, havent addressed the d enough, injuries and ?s there. I wouldnt mind trading 48 or 44 to give them better chances and restock our roster a bit.

Who knows with the amnesty stuff. We are pretty set at fwd for the next 2 years, dont see offensive guys coming in.

I woudnt mind bowmeester..but not at the current $.

RJ8812*

why the hell would DET buy out the player they just named as their captain?

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Hopes

Teamwide health, but especially for Timonen, so that he may play another season or two.

Expectations

The defense will be better than most believe. Schenn playing with Timonen will both dramatically help Schenn's career, and extend Timonen's.

Bryz will be better and more consistent, but it may not be enough to save him from being a buyout victim next offseason.

Predictions

The 3rd line LW position becomes a revolving door of players due to injuries, lack of production and inconsistencies, adversely affecting Couturier and Read's point totals.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
who do you guys think are legitimate targets for us either at the deadline or in free agency this season? what plans would you execute if you were homer?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Mark Streit
Ladislav Smid
Ryan Whitney
Alex Edler
Ian White

Are all D that I would target in FA next year if available.

Forward-wise here are the noteables

Perry
Getzlaf
Semin
Iginla
Alfredsson
Elias
McDonald
Morrow
Horton
Ribiero
Roy
Zajac
Clowe
Lupul
Bouchard
Macarthur
Clarkson
Weiss
Stalberg

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
Zetterberg put up 69 points last year and 80 the year before.

He's a good 2 way player.

He is the team captain.

He is handsome.

He grows a great beard.

Those are some reasons why they won't buy him out.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
who do you guys think are legitimate targets for us either at the deadline or in free agency this season? what plans would you execute if you were homer?
If we are in it, I wouldn't do a thing unless something insane presents itself. We have nothing (realistic) I want to trade, we need our picks, the farm is depleted...be patient.

If we are out of it, Timonen, Briere are fine to go to get some assets.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Zetterberg put up 69 points last year and 80 the year before.

He's a good 2 way player.

He is the team captain.

He is handsome.

He grows a great beard.

Those are some reasons why they won't buy him out.

all those points are very true. But lets just take a look at the simple economics of the situation. He is signed till he is 41. He may retire 3 years before that leaving 5 mill on the table. If he does that he would have been pait 67.5 mill of his deal. However his AAV will be 54 mill. Meaning a 13 mill diffrence will be spread evenly for the final 3 years he retired early. A cap hit for 4 million for 3 years.

The same reason is why we are going to be forced to amnesty Bryzgalov. These Cap circumventing contracts are being punished and if teams are smart they will use the Amnesty to get rid of them.

The Worst one is hossa. The blackhawks have to amnesty him.

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
all those points are very true. But lets just take a look at the simple economics of the situation. He is signed till he is 41. He may retire 3 years before that leaving 5 mill on the table. If he does that he would have been pait 67.5 mill of his deal. However his AAV will be 54 mill. Meaning a 13 mill diffrence will be spread evenly for the final 3 years he retired early. A cap hit for 4 million for 3 years.

The same reason is why we are going to be forced to amnesty Bryzgalov. These Cap circumventing contracts are being punished and if teams are smart they will use the Amnesty to get rid of them.

The Worst one is hossa. The blackhawks have to amnesty him.

Kovalchuk's contract is pretty rotten also, and I believe he has a NMC.

The devils will have the cap space though.

I'm not convinced that the panthers will buy out Campbell. They're a cap floor team and he helps them get there. Also, if he retires early the Blackhawks will be on the hook for his salary.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Hopes:

L. Schenn gets back on the development track and justifies the trade.

Expectations:

Read, B. Schenn and Couturier continue to develop and team scoring does not regress.

Predictions:

Injuries continue to hamper defense and 3rd pairing struggles.
Goaltending is again an enigma and Boucher starts our last playoff loss.

Beyond:

Despite fans dying for his buyout, team sticks with Bryz.
MFL is finally gone for good.
Homer aggressively pursues another top 4 dman.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I would wager Matt Read is a goner either at the deadline or over the summer. So I hope he has a great year.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If we are in it, I wouldn't do a thing unless something insane presents itself. We have nothing (realistic) I want to trade, we need our picks, the farm is depleted...be patient.

They both have no trade clauses so moving them won't be easy.

Also, Zetterberg won't be amnestied.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
This team will definitely make the playoffs.

My hopes are that homer keeps the roster mostly intact and doesn't make any huge moves until we can clear up some things about our D personnel.

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
Hopes:

- L. Schenn turns out to be a capable Dman on our Top 4.
- B. Schenn becomes what we traded for (a younger Mike Richards clone with more size)
- Bryzgalov comes back as "March-Bryz" from last season

Expectation:

I don't believe the Flyers will win the division, however, I'm pretty sure they will have enough talent to get a middle seed. The offense should be good enough and I think the defense is better than most are expecting, especially since it will be a short year and that because of the late start, Mezaros should be ready to go sooner than he would have if the season started on time. I think that Bryzgalov will be somewhere between "December-Bryz" and "March-Bryz," leaning more towards "March-Bryz."

Expectation for Flyers within division:

I can see the Flyers edging out the Penguins this year. I honestly don't see why so many "experts" have the Penguins as favorites. If anything, they got worse on defense and traded away one of their best defensive forwards. The Rangers were just too good last season, and now add Rick Nash to the equation... I think the Flyers will finish #2 in the division and possible #4 seed.

Beyond:

It's really hard to say because you can never predict what Homer will do. I can see maybe getting a great, somewhat young forward in free agency, making the way for a trade for an elite D involving Couturier (yes, I know everyone wants to keep him, but let's face it, we need a top D). If Bryzgalov is amnestied at all, it won't be until 2014. It's a lot of money to spend when you are using basically one and a half seasons to judge. Now if he is just a complete disaster for all 48 games, that's another story.

Last edited:

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík

I agree, but even if we are "in it" I just don't believe this defense is good enough to bring us a championship. So it might be irrelevant. I think we almost HAVE to make a move for a defenseman, unless there's a guy who might be able to be had with our 1st that we think can become a good defenseman. I'm not too familiar with this years class outside the top 4-5.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
They both have no trade clauses so moving them won't be easy.

Also, Zetterberg won't be amnestied.
briere maybe, timonen...nah, he will go. Only has a few months left as a flyer, he's likely retiring. I doubt we will get much for either guy, so I'm not expecting to get a blue chip stud here.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
This team will definitely make the playoffs.

My hopes are that homer keeps the roster mostly intact and doesn't make any huge moves until we can clear up some things about our D personnel.
I'm not so sure. It's going to be a weird compacted season. There is no time to lose.

Honestly, I'm not basing alot on this year, unless we lost like 30 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad