TBN: This Process is once again taking the Sabres on the road to nowhere

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Column: This Process is once again taking the Sabres on the road to nowhere
You can probably figure out who wrote this article just by the title. I'll confirm it, yes it's Mike Harrington.

It seems clear from the words and actions of Jason Botterill and Ralph Krueger – and thus, by extension, Terry and Kim Pegula – what is the mindset of the Buffalo Sabres.
Of course, they want to make the playoffs and snap the NHL's longest postseason drought. But as impatient as the fan base is and as cranky as the media can be (slowly raising hand), the general manager and the coach are on the same wavelength in one key area.
You've already heard and read it elsewhere before. The Sabres want you to Trust The Process.
They're out of their minds.
This is corporate-speak borne out of desperation. It's ridiculous. They want to act like there's no pressure here and that they're on a slow rebuild. Krueger even used the actual word "process" in the aftermath of the utterly disgraceful 5-2 loss to lowly Ottawa.

How many rebuilds does this organization need to figure things out?

Not a bad rant by Harrington, but I think mine was better. :laugh:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I hate the f***, but he is correct. I feel gross just saying that. The whole article is actually how I feel.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Botterill then doubled down on his crutch of the farm system.
"In our conversation, the goal is ultimately to get to the playoffs and we understand the importance of our young players gaining that experience," he said. "It's what we've tried to create in Rochester. It's what we've tried to create in Cincinnati: Players gaining experience in the playoffs in all situations."

In the GDT I posted links to the Sabres and Sens AHL teams
Belleville Senators 2019-20 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com
Rochester Americans 2019-20 roster and scoring statistics at hockeydb.com

The flaw with Botterill's farm team argument is he's doing it on the backs of career minor leaguers. The Sens AHL team has a better record and the load being carried by legitimate NHL prospects. I thought the idea of rebuilding was to accumulate and develop prospects in the minors not to accumulate players who have already completed their ELC and are looking for a home.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I enjoyed Harrington in the post-game interviews, pretty much calling the team out as he did last year around this time.

It's not hard to see the vision Botterill has for this team, and it's not good! Gonna get worse before it gets better.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You can probably figure out who wrote this article just by the title. I'll confirm it, yes it's Mike Harrington.

It seems clear from the words and actions of Jason Botterill and Ralph Krueger – and thus, by extension, Terry and Kim Pegula – what is the mindset of the Buffalo Sabres.
Of course, they want to make the playoffs and snap the NHL's longest postseason drought. But as impatient as the fan base is and as cranky as the media can be (slowly raising hand), the general manager and the coach are on the same wavelength in one key area.
You've already heard and read it elsewhere before. The Sabres want you to Trust The Process.
This is corporate-speak borne out of desperation. It's ridiculous. They want to act like there's no pressure here and that they're on a slow rebuild. Krueger even used the actual word "process" in the aftermath of the utterly disgraceful 5-2 loss to lowly Ottawa.

How many rebuilds does this organization need to figure things out?

Not a bad rant by Harrington, but I think mine was better. :laugh:
The disclaimer put it over the top IMO.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
"In our conversation, the goal is ultimately to get to the playoffs and we understand the importance of our young players gaining that experience," he said. "It's what we've tried to create in Rochester. It's what we've tried to create in Cincinnati: Players gaining experience in the playoffs in all situations."

The flaw with Botterill's farm team argument is he's doing it on the backs of career minor leaguers. The Sens AHL team has a better record and the load being carried by legitimate NHL prospects. I thought the idea of rebuilding was to accumulate and develop prospects in the minors not to accumulate players who have already completed their ELC and are looking for a home.
I think the dearth of forwards and the over abundance of dmen his evident in both the big club and minors. There just isn't enough quality youth in Rochester and they are lucky enough to insulate it with guys who know who/what they are. Sadly, there ain't any help coming soon.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
He's not wrong.

Dear Ownership,

Go out and get a hockey mind to run your freaking team.

-Sabres Fans

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I think the dearth of forwards and the over abundance of dmen his evident in both the big club and minors. There just isn't enough quality youth in Rochester and they are lucky enough to insulate it with guys who know who/what they are. Sadly, there ain't any help coming soon.
I think having a GM who's not a talent evaluator cripples the process. GM's who were scouts and now those who use analytics extensively move quickly and confidently. I suspect by the time Botterill gets done consulting his scouting staff on the value of players being offered, a deal has already been made with another team.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Ottawa is building a much better team through their rebuild than we have, all without a superstar talent like Jack.

It’s crazy that we are still where we are.

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
Coming out of the break I was pretty optimistic (call me crazy) about our playoff hopes since our next 10 games are at home and vs a favorable schedule, but that loss to Ottawa just felt crushing. I feel like this team is hopeless, which is crazy since we have generational talents like Eichel and Dahlin. Guess they're gonna get wasted here.

Reactions: Sabres1523

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I feel sorry for Krueger, this team is better on the ice than it was under Housley or Bylsma by far. Yet he still takes heat for the fact that this roster isn't good enough for a playoff spot (It's so bad Girgensons is on the top line again). How many playoff teams have 1 NHL centre (excluding 4th liners). Our situation on wing isn't much better. JBots has been super slow to fix this situation but he didn't have a lot to work with to begin with, to be fair. Rochester was a joke and the prospect cupboard was full of disappointments thanks to Murray and Regier (neither of which has worked as a GM since I'll note). At least Rochester are finding regular success now (another note: they also lack offence).

I have the benefit of not being surrounded by this as I'm in the UK, I get that. I just feel that the Sabres are going to need to stink for 2-3 more years before we can fix this, only great scouting and getting lucky in trades can sort this, and it requires a long, long outlook. It feels at times like the Lucic hit on Miller and Drury/Briere leaving STILL haunt this damned team.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

You want us to trust the process? Hire someone with a vision who immediately starts executing a plan to make the team better.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Including players on AHL-only deals.

Reactions: sabremike

FormerSabresFan

Sep 14, 2015
Hope tank is empty for this season and it doesn't look like any help is on the way either.

Are we really going to piss away the next 3-5 season of Eichel and Dahlin....?

WTF

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
His comments on the farm ring entirely hollow...

The way he handled Mitts/Tage in 2018 showed the emperor had no clothes.
Remember the Twitter thread someone did a while back documenting all the ridiculous things that happened with the Sens under Melnyk? Someone needs to do that listing all the ridiculous things that have happened under Botts. Actually one on all the ridiculous things under the Pegulas would be amazing as well.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
It's in the best interest of my health and happiness to divest myself of this organization.
Too much anger, too much time, too much money.
Seriously.

Is there some kind of support group, 10-step program, or online course I can enroll in to help me kick this shit?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
It's not hard to see the vision Botterill has for this team, and it's not good! Gonna get worse before it gets better.

That's something I don't agree with. I honestly have no idea what JB is trying to build. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt that he was still cleaning up TM's messes, but that ship has sailed.

This team is mostly soft and disinterested. JB has been signing players who simply rode the coattails of other stars, and honestly I think he's too interested in "giving guys the chance that I didn't have".

This team has a generational center and generation defenseman on the roster, and between the mistakes of the GM, and lack of interest from ownership, it really feels like their talents are going to be completely wasted here, which is terribly sad.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I never thought I'd see the day that the Sabres would look like more of a long-term tire fire than the Bills ever did during the drought, but here we are.

This starts at the top. This franchise is gonna be toast for the next half-decade at least barring extreme luck in the draft and unprecedented organizational success in terms of pro and prospect scouting/development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad