Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Last edited:

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I've explicitly told myself as a kid that I could see different colours on a black-and-white TV, but always figured it was from a) different colours translating into different tones of grey and b) my knowledge of the colours beforehand (hockey uniforms being the most common thing I saw on black-and-white TVs, and this being the early 90s, I knew what those colours were).

Honestly, I think this is the coolest part of this story, though:

when you take grey pixels and subtract out this blue bias, you end up with red

I'm a nerd. :laugh:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I've explicitly told myself as a kid that I could see different colours on a black-and-white TV, but always figured it was from a) different colours translating into different tones of grey and b) my knowledge of the colours beforehand (hockey uniforms being the most common thing I saw on black-and-white TVs, and this being the early 90s, I knew what those colours were).

Honestly, I think this is the coolest part of this story, though:

I'm a nerd. :laugh:

Where the heck did you grow up that you had to watch a black and white TV in the 90's???? :laugh:

I actually grew up in a home with one color and one black and white TV but that was the late 60s/early 70s.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Where the heck did you grow up that you had to watch a black and white TV in the 90's???? :laugh:

I actually grew up in a home with one color and one black and white TV but that was the late 60s/early 70s.

My family's main TV was colour - but I had a tiny little black and white TV in my bedroom - I thought that was fantastic.

But, something that keeps my perspective in check... I dated a Brazilian girl who grew up without a TV.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
My family's main TV was colour - but I had a tiny little black and white TV in my bedroom - I thought that was fantastic.

Yeah, pretty much. The thing that sucked was my sister got it instead of me (though I got the better 486/66 PC with Win95 instead, while she had to deal with a 286 that could barely even run Lemmings, so I didn't complain too much). It was really more of a novelty item around the house, though. Similar to the rotary dial phone that was in our basement. :laugh:

We had a regular Sony 26" downstairs that was full colour that we usually watched and a smaller 18"-ish that was a little off-colour that sat in my parent's bedroom that now and then I was allowed to watch when everyone else was watching something else I didn't care for (and that my dad made a hacking device for to get TMN, WSBK and WGN on in the early 2000s - I still remember watching Spy Hard and Striptease on it when I was 15 :laugh:).

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
Yeah, pretty much. The thing that sucked was my sister got it instead of me (though I got the better 486/66 PC with Win95 instead, while she had to deal with a 286 that could barely even run Lemmings, so I didn't complain too much). It was really more of a novelty item around the house, though. Similar to the rotary dial phone that was in our basement. :laugh:

We had a regular Sony 26" downstairs that was full colour that we usually watched and a smaller 18"-ish that was a little off-colour that sat in my parent's bedroom that now and then I was allowed to watch when everyone else was watching something else I didn't care for (and that my dad made a hacking device for to get TMN, WSBK and WGN on in the early 2000s - I still remember watching Spy Hard and Striptease on it when I was 15 :laugh:).

Haha, I remember rotary phones. I still remember only dialling 5 numbers as long as I was calling a number in town too. The town 15 minutes away took a whole 7 numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad