This next 5 game stand makes or breaks us...

Jay99999*

We have Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Phoenix and Colorado. It will put us at 52 games played.

If we don't go 4 for 5 and then at least 3 for 5 in the next five, our season will likely be done and we will know if we will be sellers or buyers at the deadline.

If we go below 500...by even one game, then the teams that are ahead of us only have to play 500 or slightly better for us to miss the playoffs.

Of the teams ahead of us, Detroit has the toughest schedule with the Rags, kings, blues, hawks and the scabs. Philly has the easiest schedule with Sabers, preds, islanders, islanders and canes.

IMHO, if we go below 500 for the next 10 games then Randy or Nonis has to go.

And for gawds sakes, it would be nice if the west starts beating the teams in the east. Too many times have I turned on sportsdesk only to find out every west team lost. I thought they were supposed to be stronger of the two conferences?

Its crunch time.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think it will be make or break for the next 6 weeks.

By then we will see how much the slide cost us and how much we really suck.

Too many games left right now to say that the next 5 games will decide our faith. Obviously if we lose the next 5 it will hurt a lot but you could say that anywhere in the season probably.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
even if they go 1-2-2 they are still in contention for a playoff spot, way too much hockey left and bolland coming back may have a bigger impact than most people believe

cheeeko

Sep 20, 2012
Halifax, NS
Well yeah, I guess they're in a position now where they have to string wins together.

Really though, even if they get hot, all the teams around us are gonna make it hard to put space in between. They need to play really, really well for the rest of the season in it's entirety to make the playoffs, and thereby gain the confidence to to anything. Unfortunately I see no signs of improvement. They beat Jersey in a shootout, that shows me nothing. Play hard against the Bruins, beat buffalo down and then take it to the Habs. It's all about regaining confidence and three rivas in a row can go a long way if we play hard.

Jay99999*

Too many games left right now to say that the next 5 games will decide our faith. Obviously if we lose the next 5 it will hurt a lot but you could say that anywhere in the season probably.

Not really because this team does not have the gears to go on a big run.

To your bolded part....I don't have much of that left.

Jay99999*

Well yeah, I guess they're in a position now where they have to string wins together.

Really though, even if they get hot, all the teams around us are gonna make it hard to put space in between. They need to play really, really well for the rest of the season in it's entirety to make the playoffs, and thereby gain the confidence to to anything. Unfortunately I see no signs of improvement. They beat Jersey in a shootout, that shows me nothing. Play hard against the Bruins, beat buffalo down and then take it to the Habs. It's all about regaining confidence and three rivas in a row can go a long way if we play hard.

Agree with this post. :)

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Its going to break us, mark my words.

This team (especially the coach) is a disgrace. Last night we scratched a win despite getting outchanced 60-33 in 5v5. Berny stole us the game, can he steak us another 20 games so we can make the playoffs? No he cannot, our goalies can only do so little.

Once we stop getting out shot by 10+ a game (5 is even too Much) then we can be a good team. Unfortunately with this idiotic coach his system is designed to allow 35-45 shots a game average, so we are doomed till he's fired.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
The teams coming up in the schedule, although difficult opponents, have been beatable lately.
If the Leafs can come out with a good effort in each game, there is a chance of getting some good point out of them.
I am looking forward to the Boston game, even though it is also pretty intimidating.

DaveT83*

Team was broken before they took the ice in October.
Team was broken before they collapsed in Game 7
Team was broken before Burke was fired.
Team was broken before Wilson was fired.
Team was broken before Burke was hired.
Team was broken before JFJ was fired.
Team was broken when Quinn was replaced.

Should I go on? Really its astonishing that anyone needs more evidence - 5 games? A month?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Looking back on this group and its season, any team that drops so many points to Buffalo and Carolina alone should be disqualified from the playoffs.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
These next 5 games will not make or break us, people have been saying this for the last month and a half. Amazingly, even though we are losing horrible, we are still in the playoffs race, along with majority of the east.

The next 30ish games or however many left will make or break us, this will be a marathon until the very last game. The east is so close that we are 2 points away from 5th, and 3 points away from bottom of the barrel in the east.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Team was broken before they took the ice in October.
Team was broken before they collapsed in Game 7
Team was broken before Burke was fired.
Team was broken before Wilson was fired.
Team was broken before Burke was hired.
Team was broken before JFJ was fired.
Team was broken when Quinn was replaced.

Should I go on? Really its astonishing that anyone needs more evidence - 5 games? A month?

How was it broken when Quinn was replaced? He didn't have any young assets to move for vets anymore. Team was bare and needed to be stripped clean. Unfortunately the Muskoka 5 ruined the start to a much needed rebuild, and then the rebuild never came when they left.

BluPuk*

If what you say is right, then we should just mail it in and go for a high draft pick.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm predicting 0-10-0 over the next 5 games.

Also, JVR will accidently skate on the ice naked somehow and retire to Antartica out of shame.

Seriously though, I don't know about the next 5 games being make or break because there's still plenty of hockey to be played, but if they don't get their **** together soon, we're on the outside looking in again.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Me thinks we're already broken. Its a question of if we can tape ourselves together to atleast make it to the playoffs.

monochrome

Mar 11, 2013
NJ/IL

I think this estimate is closer to an area where we can be a reasonable judge of this team's character. Its not like we can really say the looming olympics are doing this to us because only 3 players are going and its not like we didn't have our fair share of problems when the olympics werent right in the rearview.

If we're not doing so hot in after that 6 week stretch I say its time to ride the tank as far to the bottom as we can to see what we can come up with in the draft for 2014, as another unsuccessful playoff run will just cause more crushed hopes and dreams

xyzz

Aug 18, 2008
Its all about win/loss differential. Leafs right now are 22-20-5. The 5 doesnt matter.. if you get a single point its a wash.

22-20 is the number to watch. right now we are +2. On average you need to be between +8 and +10 to qualify for the post season.

When those wins/losses come doesnt matter

Mr Scarface*

Me thinks we're already broken. Its a question of if we can tape ourselves together to atleast make it to the playoffs.
Making the playoffs is not broken. It's together.

It's important to play better, stronger and win games in the near future.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Last two games were good hockey, slowly getting better.

Tomorrow is a huge game for the Leafs, could give them some momentum to get going again or kick them while they're almost able to get back up.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I hope for their next two games the Leafs can some how get a possible 3/4 points. Who knows what type of team will show up against the Bruins, so if they got at least 1 point out of that game I would be ok with that. As for the Sabres I know they already beat them twice this season in Toronto and at least their last game against them on Wednesday is at the Air Canada Centre. However they are still a team I hate playing against because of how Ryan Miller plays against the Leafs in his career and every time Matt Moulson plays against Toronto he always seems to score a goal.

So I'm not that much worried about playing against Montreal, Phoenix and Colorado.

DaveT83*

How was it broken when Quinn was replaced? He didn't have any young assets to move for vets anymore. Team was bare and needed to be stripped clean. Unfortunately the Muskoka 5 ruined the start to a much needed rebuild, and then the rebuild never came when they left.

I think you answered your own question.

Jay99999*

The trade deadline is March 5. We have a total of 17 games before then. Of those 17 games, 11 are against East opponents. Many of those are teams chasing us and teams we are trying to catch.

This will not have anything to do with "if we can win" after the deadline. It will have to do with how much we win before the deadline. Once the deadline is here, Nonis will have to make a decision to pick up some players to get us a push to make it, or he will sell off the team as a bust and start over.

After the Olympic break we only play 4 of those 17 games so really, we have between now and February 8 to get our wins. 3 weeks and change we are going to play a lot of hockey and the season will be decided.

This isn't about getting wins until the end of the season, this is about getting as many wins before the deadline.

A week before the deadline is when deals start flying. Nonis will have to make his decision in about 2 weeks from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad