Post-Game Talk: This Loss was Brought to you by the Letter C: Columbus 5 - Leafs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Reimer was doing that last year was he not? Besides, we have one of the highest goals for in the league. He did manage to steal some games for us, but when we are scoring that much, its not like goaltending should be taking all the credit.
That was last year. This season Bernier has outplayed Reimer. The numbers show that

Penalty Kill Icing*

As good as our special teams have been, this is not the first game where we lost and special teams was the difference.

PP was -1.
PK was -1.
(EN goal -1.)
----------
Lost by 3.

Our PK has allowed 5 goals in 6 games. Our PK is still good. Only thing it means is that "We are taking far too many dumb penalties (regardless of last night's officiating)."

djmiketoast

Oct 26, 2013
Toronto
Theres honestly far too many people posting critiques about the Leafs goaltending when in reality 98% of u complainers know absolutely nothing about the positon.

If Don Cherry admits that he doesnt know enough about goaltending to critique, how the **** can you idiots continuously go on and on about it daily?

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Outshot again. They need to figure this out and quick. In 11 games they have been outshot 9 times. You wouldn't expect this of a 7-4 team. Only the first game against Montreal and the third of the season against Ottawa did they manage to outshoot their opponent.

They are collectively 293-380 in shots for/shots against in the 11 games. So they give up an average of about 8 more shots per game to their opponents. With today's save percentages where they are, that's just pretty close to spotting the opposition a goal a game.

Despite being 7-4 they've been living on the edge a little. They need to get a few more chances and eliminate a few at their own end...winning teams don't persistently get outshot like this. You can argue whether shots are from the perimeter, or compare "scoring chances", but over a long enough period of time, this stat can't be tilted so much against them for them to continue to have success.

I have to agree. I don't fully understand Corsi but I do know that losing 55% of faceoffs, being constantly outshot, possessing the puck in the opponents end far less then your opponent in your end and then giving it away will over 82 games catch up with you.

This team was supposedly to be a lunch box hard working team. Well it looks like this blue collar team is now a union shop. Too many payers are standing around thinking checking isn't their job, hitting isn't their job and grinding isn't their job. Carlyle needs to hit the reset button on this team before reality catches up.

Finally, this team needs a s*** disturber. It seems teams have figured out that if you play this team whistle to whistle and forget the scrums and bs the Leafs just fall asleep. They seem to have a lot of guys who will step up when there is s*** happening on the ice but none that will cause it. They need and in your face a-hole who will inject emotion and stir the pot.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
It's not goaltending bloody imbeciles. It's the terrible defence. The defence blows. When your job is to play defence and you can't defend, there's a problem y'all.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
This team was supposedly to be a lunch box hard working team. Well it looks like this blue collar team is now a union shop. Too many payers are standing around thinking checking isn't their job, hitting isn't their job and grinding isn't their job. Carlyle needs to hit the reset button on this team before reality catches up.

Exactly my thoughts during the last two weeks. Missing truculence and all this Burke stuff.

Mapleleafs Fan*

Franson is playing far far away from his expectations. This guy has been playing ridiculous lately. I am noticing him from last 4 game, he is just not trying to get the ****ing puck from behind the net and easily gives it to opposition. Take Gardiner from trade block and put Franson in.

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
Franson is playing far far away from his expectations. This guy has been playing ridiculous lately. I am noticing him from last 4 game, he is just not trying to get the ****ing puck from behind the net and easily gives it to opposition. Take Gardiner from trade block and put Franson in.

He's been awful lately, I agree. Just seems to not care if he doesn't have the puck. And he's really got to stop trying to rush the puck ala Gardiner/Rielly, hell even Phaneuf is better at it. Franson *might* get around one guy, and if he loses the puck its almost certain to be an odd man rush because he can't skate for ****. Poor Rielly, getting stuck defending odd man rushes all the time.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Had to hear some dick at Boston Pizza cheering everytime the Leafs took a penalty or Columbus scored. Certainly wasn't a Blue Jacket fan in Southern Ontario. :laugh:

SteveV*

I have to agree. I don't fully understand Corsi but I do know that losing 55% of faceoffs, being constantly outshot, possessing the puck in the opponents end far less then your opponent in your end and then giving it away will over 82 games catch up with you.

Yes, before Corsi there was this thing we once used called COMMON SENSE.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

He's setting himself up for disappointment when he goes looking for his next contract, that's for sure. Anybody with interest in him now can see that his assist totals don't even come close to outweighing his terrible defense.

Having him paired with Reilly might end up being a really, really bad idea. Reilly is making plenty of his own mistakes but his partner has not once bailed him out, and is arguably worse in his own end. Reilly isn't going to develop that offensive potential on a pairing like that.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
As good as our special teams have been, this is not the first game where we lost and special teams was the difference.

PP was -1.
PK was -1.
(EN goal -1.)
----------
Lost by 3.

Our PK has allowed 5 goals in 6 games. Our PK is still good. Only thing it means is that "We are taking far too many dumb penalties (regardless of last night's officiating)."

Our special teams aren't as good as their percentages IMO. If it continues the percentages will regress. Our PP gives up a ridiculous number of scoring chances against, and our PK mostly looks like they're barely hanging on. PK certainly looks better than the PP though, where they'll go entire games without a scoring chance over several minutes with the man advantage. So far the percentage is being propped up by quick goals score even-strength style off the rush.

Kadri and Bozak have both scored 2/3 of their goals on the PP, sporting shooting percentages of 20% and 25% respectively. Those are going to drop significantly.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
it seems to me that if they could win a ****ing faceoff once in a while ..things would be MUCH better all around...im sure im over simplifying but for goodness sakes..grrrrr

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
it seems to me that if they could win a ****ing faceoff once in a while ..things would be MUCH better all around...im sure im over simplifying but for goodness sakes..grrrrr

You're not oversimplifying at all. None of our centres are above 47% on faceoffs. The team overall has 310 faceoffs wins and 399 losses for a underwhelming 43.7% success rate.

But where it gets really awful is shorthanded.

McClement: 5 for 17
Bolland: 4 for 10
Bozak: 20 for 60!!!

The team's faceoff percentage on the PK is 33.7%.

SteveV*

You're not oversimplifying at all. None of our centres are above 47% on faceoffs. The team overall has 310 faceoffs wins and 399 losses for a underwhelming 43.7% success rate.

If Boazk isn't good on the draw, then the whole argument for his existence falls apart.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT

Wow, and yet we still have a good PK. That first possession on special teams is huge, it's a good 30 seconds either way.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
It's crazy just how much the title of this thread is accurate. Four losses, and all by teams that start with C. Carolina, Colorado, Chicago and now Columbus. Too weird.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Too many penalties boys.

Or not enough Powerplays for us. Getting sick of the refs getting away with this crap. You say a bad word about a ref, BAM you get a fine. Yet the refs can cost teams games and where is there punishment? Refs should face suspensions and fines when they cost a team a game with horrid calling. All professionals should be punished as equals.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Or not enough Powerplays for us. Getting sick of the refs getting away with this crap. You say a bad word about a ref, BAM you get a fine. Yet the refs can cost teams games and where is there punishment? Refs should face suspensions and fines when they cost a team a game with horrid calling. All professionals should be punished as equals.

aren't all leagues like that though? I remember that the raptors were seriously complaning about how like three-four games in a row the refs seriously screwed them over, they got fined.... and then league was like.. oh you know, you guys were right - my bad but nothing was said about how they will talk to the refs and etc.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
aren't all leagues like that though? I remember that the raptors were seriously complaning about how like three-four games in a row the refs seriously screwed them over, they got fined.... and then league was like.. oh you know, you guys were right - my bad but nothing was said about how they will talk to the refs and etc.

I'm just tired of seeing how overly protected Refs are. It certainly is not that way in baseball. I remember when that ref killed that young mans perfect game. The media, the league and just about everyone slaughtered that mans career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad