This just in...The Sky isn't Falling

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Hey guys and gals

We need to take a deep breath here...This Leafs team IS massively flawed in terms of makeup but to say with a straight face that we should be selling off our UFA's when we are only 5 points out of 3rd (I assumed Florida wins their 2 games in hand on us) seems to be a bit of an over reaction on our parts...

add in Campell and Clifford not to mention assume of course Freddie is ready to go (not a long term injury) subtract Moore...I think we sneak in this year by the skin of our teeth...

Maybe it helps the boys to have to play meaningful games down the stretch...and maybe im just Full of Shyte lol but We've been through worse as Leafs fans...

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I mean leafs had like 5% chance of making it, then they won some games and suddenly had a 75% chance to make it.. now they've lost some and we can't possibly make the playoffs, until we win some then we're in again.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I see it as 4-5-1 in their last 10. If that scenario continues their fighting for the lottery.

I see it as management seems to see it the same way as you. They made that trade out of complete fear and necessity of course. Now you can ask yourself if the trade will or can make a difference next ten.

I think there is more coming with trades that will emphasize adding defensive accumulation and toughness etc that lacks in what we see. Skill will always be a part of the way management will makes decisions. They might see the same soft play as a deterrent to success more so now.

Clifford won’t skate away after some players get running around taking liberties with our top players. That room is going to like Clifford. L.A can have the second round pick instead of the third, extend the guy yesterday. Clifford was a need as much as Campbell was.

Talk to ya in ten games ;)

Mar 26, 2010
Nah, season is over. 11th place finish incoming. Carolina going to be enjoying that 1st.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The Leafs are 19-9-3 since Keefe took over. Assuming 17-8-3 in the remaining 28 games (approx the same pace) we would finish with 100 pts and likely make the playoffs.

Trending and what have you done for me lately is the reason for some concern.

Leafs have lost 7 of their last 11 games going 4-5-2 during that stretch.

Eastern Conference last 10 games results.

Atlantic Div
Boston, Tampa and Florida are all 7-2-1 while Montreal is 7-3-0

Metro Div
Pittsburgh 8-2-0, Columbus 8-1-1, Philly 7-2-1, Washington 6-3-1 . Carolina 5-4-1 and NYI 4-3-3

Our Leafs are 4-4-2 worst record among all playoff teams and losing ground on everyone in that playoff race.

Or perhaps it would have been quicker to only list the Eastern teams that have performed worst than Leafs L10 games..

Detroit 1-8-1 , Ottawa 2-2-6, and Buffalo 4-6-0 & NJ 3-4-3 .. (2 of our wins came against NJ and Ottawa in OT).

PS.. The coaching change initial bump is long behind us now. We're not playing at that pace were back to .500 hockey in last 10 games.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not in panic mode by a long shot theu have struggled sure but they are currently ONE point out with the ducks on a back to back and Montreal without Weber

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
It may not be falling but I'm sure not planning a picnic!

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Trending and what have you done for me lately is the reason for some concern.

Leafs have lost 7 of their last 11 games going 4-5-2 during that stretch.

Eastern Conference last 10 games results.

Atlantic Div
Boston, Tampa and Florida are all 7-2-1 while Montreal is 7-3-0

Metro Div
Pittsburgh 8-2-0, Columbus 8-1-1, Philly 7-2-1, Washington 6-3-1 . Carolina 5-4-1 and NYI 4-3-3

Our Leafs are 4-4-2 worst record among all playoff teams and losing ground on everyone in that playoff race.

Or perhaps it would have been quicker to only list the Eastern teams that have performed worst than Leafs L10 games..

Detroit 1-8-1 , Ottawa 2-2-6, and Buffalo 4-6-0 & NJ 3-4-3 .. (2 of our wins came against NJ and Ottawa in OT).

PS.. The coaching change initial bump is long behind us now. We're not playing at that pace were back to .500 hockey in last 10 games.

10 games, completely arbitrary number. Who cares? That can all look completely different in like a week.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
The sky has fallen. 50% chance of not making it. Oh well at least we won’t lose in the 1st round and there is always next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
10 games, completely arbitrary number. Who cares? That can all look completely different in like a week.

Last 10 games is tracked and displayed on all on-line standings reports.. 2019-20 NHL Wild Card Standings | ESPN

Trending is tracked and how a team is currently performing much more relevant to now, then how they were performing say a month ago. ie Last 10 games under Keefe more accurate of a teams current play than first 10 games for example.

That said .. Babcock in his last 10 games (before firing) was 4-5-1 while Keefe in his last 10 games 4-4-2.

Totally agree things can and will likely change and in fact if they don't change for the better :crossfing: Leafs will not make the playoffs, playing as they currently are and losing ground in the playoff race while other teams have games in hand also.

We need to get back to winning 6 of every 10 games and not losing them. :)

Mar 14, 2011
Now that the Leafs finally have a potential, NHL quality, backup goalie, I have to agree. Had Dubas waited for a week or 2 before making the trade (which is what I expected from him) then I would be legit panicking as the Leafs cant afford to throw anymore games by letting Hutch be the starter with Freddy out.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Work on a solid/stay at home D-man and re-sign Muzzin. That would be my wish. If it takes a roster player, so be it. No rentals, someone with at least another year min.

If there are any 3rd or 4th line wingers who are gamers and willing to play to win above all else, and, we can fit them, do that too. That's a bonus. These players are easier to find than our top two lines stars are. You have to fill in the top of the lineup with some balance.

This not only brings out the confidence in the team it will help them moving forward next year in having such a team for a full year. Talented players rub off on those who may not be so talented but they play with heart, and, vice versa.

I will say, I've not had a problem with any of Dubas trades in his tenure. In fact, he probably has done better than I would have expected with what he had. I just think the handcuffing of the cap has been his biggest problem.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think the biggest indication of where this team is at is that Dubas just made a "get us into the playoffs" trade rather than a "put us over the top" or even a "pretender to contender" trade.

I like bringing in Clifford, though much better if he comes back next year. He's absolutely the type of person & player this team needs more of. Hutch needed to be replaced so that box was checked, but with Ceci sidelined (and even if he wasn't sidelined) the Leafs need an blueline upgrade on the right side, which likely isn't going to happen.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
So many terrified to admit the Keefe honeymoon is over and this team is who we thought they were. At least desperate times will cause much needed change. Thankfully Dubas seems to be aware of his mistakes finally but it might be too late for this season. He can’t be done because we’re still a very broken team and he doesn’t wanna lose his job.

Pile on :nod:

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
10 games because that's the number that goes with the narrative.

Team still at a great pace since Keefe, but that was obviously avoided in that post.

In the last 10 games played Boston, Tampa and Florida are all 7-2-1 (15 of a possible 20 points) while the Leafs are 4-4-2 (10 of a possible 20 points).

That means the 3 Atlantic teams currently holding down the 3 playoff division spots all gained +5 points in the standings over the last 10 games played on our Leafs.

Leafs current total points 63 and Keefe early results/success are already baked into the NHL standings overall, they're not being ignored, simply by showing trending and direction teams are currently going in..

This trending helps explain why Florida has passed the Leafs in the standings and taken the 3rd spot in the ATL Div away from Toronto in this last stretch, and why Leafs are now on the outside looking in.

If Columbus 8-1-1 and Philly 7-2-1 are currently battling for WC#1 and WC#2 spots the Leafs are currently losing ground on those playoff spots as well.

This trend has to change in Leafs favour because they can't afford to keep playing at .500 hockey (past 10 pace) while chasing the pack in front of them and make the playoffs if the teams ahead outperform them down the stretch. Leafs record a month ago under Keefe has no bearing on upcoming games still to be played.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad