This Jimmy Kimmel Video...

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Awkward video with the audience not really willing to laugh at kids who can't tell time.

We have analog clocks in our house and my kids (4 and 2) will definitely know how to tell time. Our 4 year old is learning.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Having some with numbers and others with roman numerals is kind of not fair. Let's face it, a number of young adults would probably take time to actually get it right, people are use to digital now. I wear a watches with analog faces so I am use to it. People these days just don't wear watches, especially kids in that age group.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Not long ago I was running a centre for teens and they’d always ask me the time despite a giant clock hanging on the wall in the middle of the room. I wouldn’t tell them unless they could learn to read that thing it was disturbing to me that 90% of them couldn’t read a clock at age 16.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Learning how to read a clock shouldn't take more than what? 90 seconds?

Its just recognizing numbers and sizes of clock hands. :laugh:

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Learning how to read a clock shouldn't take more than what? 90 seconds?

Its just recognizing numbers and sizes of clock hands. :laugh:

I remember spending like 10 minutes a day on it for a week in 1st grade. Teacher would bring in a clock and explain how it worked then would set it to random times and quiz us. Everybody learned it pretty quickly.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I have no idea whether I learned to read the clock in school or just because I felt like it.

Didn’t anybody else get annoyed with their parents saying things like “ten more minutes” and so you made it a priority to learn to tell time so that you could GOTCHA them the next time they drag their feet?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I learned to tell time on one of these in the 80s:

images

It's a learning tool, not an actual clock. You set the hands, tried to figure out what time it was, then pressed the buttons at the base to open the owl's eyelids, display the corresponding digital time and check if you were right. When my little brother was 4 or so, I showed him how to use it. I remember that it didn't take him long, maybe a week with a little time every day. We still have it at our parents' house and it still works perfectly, which was surprising (though maybe not so much when you consider that it was used for only a week or so per person).

They still make these, apparently... maybe not that exact one, but different ones also with owl designs. Every family with young kids should have one, IMO. They make learning time so quick and easy that kids can teach themselves. Thanks to one of those, my brother and I don't really remember a time when we couldn't tell time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babe Ruth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad