This is the best the Rangers Power Play has done in 20 years

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think part of the success is because they aren't getting many chances.

When they finally do get one, its all about shooting on net (which they've never done) and they are simplifying the way they gain the zone and how they get open shots. When they get too many opportunities they try to get too cute with it and over think things.

Hopefully they continue to be at the bottom of the league in PP opps.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

When they finally do get one, its all about shooting on net (which they've never done) and they are simplifying the way they gain the zone and how they get open shots. When they get too many opportunities they try to get too cute with it and over think things.

This is exactly what I would have said, plus there seems to be more movement and players switching spots, ala Boyle winding up in front of the net last night.

Were also lucky in that we have been good with limited opportunities, if we weren't having this amount of success with limited opportunities the PP could be historically bad.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013

I don't disagree at all. However i do like the idea that if you make one mistake the rangers can make you pay for it so you have to curb that edge against NY.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Yandle has been a big obviously but McDonagh's resurgence is huge as well.

The most critical changes have been systematic. They've been gaining the zone easier, moving the puck smarter and faster and have been more willing to put it on net.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
It's nice to see, but I am pretty sure the PP had a hot streak last year as well, then proceeded to suck again. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

Consistency is the key. Let's see how long it lasts.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's nice to see, but I am pretty sure the PP had a hot streak last year as well, then proceeded to suck again. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.

No, you're right. The PP was hot for a time last season, but then proceeded to absolutely suck again.

Hopefully, we keep this up. The McD-Yandle on the 1st PP last night kept my hopes up...but we'll see how long that lasts.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
their philosophy is pretty simple...get the puck to one side, work the defense side to side to open up a shooting lane, get the puck up top to McD for a shot and let him rip it. if they take away the shot, worth the puck into the high slot for whoever is camped in there. Rangers are playing a pretty solid PP. I like what they do out there for the most part.

I would say though that having a right handed shooter to go with a lefty would be ideal (McIlrath? he has a bomb)

but its fine as is.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Nash-Brass-St. Louis
Stepan-Boyle

Around this time last year if iirc

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

This is something else though. Each of the last two years the Rangers had a stretch where their PP was in the top half of the league. Now, they're 4th in the entire NHL, and it's been pretty consistent after the first week or so of the season. And they're doing this while getting almost no opportunities.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The addition of Yandle made the team better on the PP, and also relieved some pressure off of McDonagh, allowing him to get better as well. If we had a bomber, the PP would be really good.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013

The hot PP last year still didn't have them cracking the top 10 in the league. This year we are currently ranked 4. Even with standard regression we will stay in the top 7. If we hace a collapse like in the playoffs we could be sunk. But after the 1st month of the season the rangers haven't had this good of a power play since I have been watching.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Keep giving yandle top power play unit time along with some competent screening of the goalie and pucks will find their way to the back of the net.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Dan Boyle deserves some credit here as well. He has 1 less PP point than McDonagh.

Yandle's P/60 (8.44) just blows away the rest of the team.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The ability of a PP is often in the Walls. We lost that ability when Tortorella took over and we stopped playing hockey and 100% focused on not making mistakes. Since then we haven't had any kind of swagger with the puck. The entire PP haven screamed lack of confidence. Even when we play well on the PP and "get looks", it doesn't get us over the top and first sign of adversity we revert back to having no confidence on it.

This is how our PP have done historically before Torts came in:
95 - 5th
96 - 5th
97 - 1st
98 - 5th
99 - 2nd
00 - 10th
01 - 11th
02 - 21st
03 - 15th
04 - 24th
06 - 8th
07 - 8th

Then it went downhill really fast under Torts.

I am not convinced that our PP will keep doing well, I still think we miss a right handed forward that can play in the spot usually held by Stepan.

When it comes to Stepan, individually I think he have been the biggest problem with our PP. Its no coincidence that we start doing well when he is hurt. He just isn't very good on the PP, never moves the puck with any poise etc. Never solves tough situations with smart plays. Often screws up simple plays. The problem we have is that we mostly have had left handed PPQBs, and with a LH back there, the player on the left side will have the puck more and be the one that sets up the D. If we had a RH goto PPQB, Zucc or Brass could set up the PP more. As it is now Stepan basically have had the most important role on our PP and he just isn't elite there.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
when McIlrath becomes more confident with his cannon, we can use him on the blue line. he did say he wanted to model his game kind of after Shea Weber, way back when.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The ability of a PP is often in the Walls. We lost that ability when Tortorella took over and we stopped playing hockey and 100% focused on not making mistakes. Since then we haven't had any kind of swagger with the puck. The entire PP haven screamed lack of confidence. Even when we play well on the PP and "get looks", it doesn't get us over the top and first sign of adversity we revert back to having no confidence on it.

This is how our PP have done historically before Torts came in:
95 - 5th
96 - 5th
97 - 1st
98 - 5th
99 - 2nd
00 - 10th
01 - 11th
02 - 21st
03 - 15th
04 - 24th
06 - 8th
07 - 8th

Then it went downhill really fast under Torts.

I am not convinced that our PP will keep doing well, I still think we miss a right handed forward that can play in the spot usually held by Stepan.

When it comes to Stepan, individually I think he have been the biggest problem with our PP. Its no coincidence that we start doing well when he is hurt. He just isn't very good on the PP, never moves the puck with any poise etc. Never solves tough situations with smart plays. Often screws up simple plays. The problem we have is that we mostly have had left handed PPQBs, and with a LH back there, the player on the left side will have the puck more and be the one that sets up the D. If we had a RH goto PPQB, Zucc or Brass could set up the PP more. As it is now Stepan basically have had the most important role on our PP and he just isn't elite there.

The PP's decline post-2007 had a lot more to do with the departure of key contributors such as Jagr and Nylander than it does with Torts IMO.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
when McIlrath becomes more confident with his cannon, we can use him on the blue line. he did say he wanted to model his game kind of after Shea Weber, way back when.

I'd put him at the left circle... Let him take ovi-style blasts.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Is it me or has the PP looked better since Stepan went down?

Small sample but:

Before Stepan injury - 7.5 GF/60 (10th in NHL) 60.3 (3rd in the NHL)

After Stepan injury - 14 GF/60 (3rd in NHL) 71.2 SF/60 (2nd in the NHL)

Also, the Rangers PP shoots a lot more than they get credit for. 62.3 SF/60 (1st in the NHL) 85.0 FF/60 (3rd in the NHL).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad