This is Jay Feaster's Team

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's exactly what I'm referring to. Those trades were made by GM Jay Feaster. If Burke had begun performing the GM's duties at that point, I can't see how we wouldn't have seen some result of that. The last time someone above Jay Feaster tried to take away his ability to do his job, he resigned. And from Burke's perspective, why on earth would he undertake the GM position before firing the current GM? If he had already taken away Jay's power as GM, why would he keep him in charge "under evaluation?" It just doesn't make sense to make such illogical assumptions, particularly using it as part of an assessment.
haters will hate

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Also for the record it was Feaster who acquired Colborne, not Burke.

You don't think Burke, who had already once acquired Colborne, had major involvement in negotiating the trade with his long time AGM and BFF Dave Nonis? Yeah, you're right, that was all Feaster. As for Burke undermining Feaster by negotiating the trade, this wouldn't be the case at all. This is a pretty unique management structure, one in which the President is very involved with the GMs duties. That's part of the reason Burke is no rush to hire a GM. It wouldn't change his duties as much, just less clerical stuff to deal with. And yes, Burke was very involved. Also said to Feaster after the Colborne trade, that they wouldn't be trading any more picks. If people are wondering if Burke had taken Jay's power prior to firing him, he definitely had. If you're unsure of a guy and are still evaluating him, you sure don't leave him at the wheel to do whatever he wants.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You don't think Burke, who had already once acquired Colborne, had major involvement in negotiating the trade with his long time AGM and BFF Dave Nonis? Yeah, you're right, that was all Feaster.
Oh I forgot you are privy to all the inner workings of the team and know exactly what transpired.

try sticking with facts rather than fiction.

FACT: Jay Feaster was the GM that made the trade for Colborne. Deal with it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have no problem with the suggestion that Burke probably advised Feaster to go after Colborne. This is no different than, for example, Weisbrod or any of Feaster's pro scouts suggesting a player. What I think is foolish is the suggestion that the trade was Burke's handiwork.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You don't think Burke, who had already once acquired Colborne, had major involvement in negotiating the trade with his long time AGM and BFF Dave Nonis? Yeah, you're right, that was all Feaster. As for Burke undermining Feaster by negotiating the trade, this wouldn't be the case at all. This is a pretty unique management structure, one in which the President is very involved with the GMs duties. That's part of the reason Burke is no rush to hire a GM. It wouldn't change his duties as much, just less clerical stuff to deal with. And yes, Burke was very involved. Also said to Feaster after the Colborne trade, that they wouldn't be trading any more picks. If people are wondering if Burke had taken Jay's power prior to firing him, he definitely had. If you're unsure of a guy and are still evaluating him, you sure don't leave him at the wheel to do whatever he wants.

So he put Jay in the passenger seat in order to evaluate his driving? :huh:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Oh I forgot you are privy to all the inner workings of the team and know exactly what transpired.

Noori isn't the kind of person to post libelous information. We've seen Burke in videos that talked about Colborne acquisition, and I've heard Burke talked about the acquisition of Smid. Nothing Noori said was fiction. We know once Burke arrived Feaster had to report to him on all matters. We know Burke is an advisor on all hockey matters.

Moreover, if Burke and King knew Feaster was going to be fired because his competence was in question, what kind of organization would give authority to a man on his way out?

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Noori isn't the kind of person to post libelous information. We've seen Burke in videos that talked about Colborne acquisition, and I've heard Burke talked about the acquisition of Smid. Nothing Noori said was fiction. We know once Burke arrived Feaster had to report to him on all matters. We know Burke is an advisor on all hockey matters.

Moreover, if Burke and King knew Feaster was going to be fired because his competence was in question, what kind of organization would give authority to a man on his way out?

But all of that is speculation, so you cannot really say one way or another.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This kind of circular logic completely irks me. You don't like a certain few of Feaster's trades, therefore you refuse to include trades you like in your assessment of Feaster's trades.

Meh, honestly, Angle, if I truly was concerned about a post that irked you; I just wouldn't post anymore. Any negativity towards anything Flames related gets a wall or angry post from you.

If you can't see Burke's fingers in those two trades, you're fooling yourself, like people were fooling themselves when they thought once Burke came on board Feaster had any chance in hell after his trade history; knowing one of the most fearsome negotiators was his direct supervisor.

Also never mentioned how I felt about other trades; you definitely went ahead and filled that in for me. I liked the Russell trade from day 1, I was on-board with Galiardi, I understood the Tangs/Sarich one, I disliked the Bouwmeester and Iggy ones; and I'm pretty /shrug about the RR; since I'm certain Sabres fans are all about Jake McCabe... which we tend to forget about when we talk about that trade.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Meh, honestly, Angle, if I truly was concerned about a post that irked you; I just wouldn't post anymore. Any negativity towards anything Flames related gets a wall or angry post from you.

If you can't see Burke's fingers in those two trades, you're fooling yourself, like people were fooling themselves when they thought once Burke came on board Feaster had any chance in hell after his trade history; knowing one of the most fearsome negotiators was his direct supervisor.

Also never mentioned how I felt about other trades; you definitely went ahead and filled that in for me. I liked the Russell trade from day 1, I was on-board with Galiardi, I understood the Tangs/Sarich one, I disliked the Bouwmeester and Iggy ones; and I'm pretty /shrug about the RR; since I'm certain Sabres fans are all about Jake McCabe... which we tend to forget about when we talk about that trade.

Your justification in the post I quoted was that Feaster couldn't have been part of the trade because Feaster couldn't have made such a good trade. What else am I supposed to take out of that? :laugh:

Like I say, I can see Burke advising Feaster on which players to target and what types of deals to put together, as that was and will be his job, but to assume that Feaster wasn't the one who made the trade is just bizarre to me.

And my problem isn't with negativity towards anything Flames, it's with faulty logical and fallacious reasoning. The two things seem to go hand in hand on this board, though, so I can understand your misinterpretation.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
But all of that is speculation, so you cannot really say one way or another.

Well in that case, its just as speculative to suggest Feaster was the mastermind and trigger puller of the trades. For all we know, Weisbros was taking care of the details for all of Feaster's moves, and Feaster was a lazy ass who only approve them. Maybe that's why he was fired?

I think its fair to say nobody here works in the Flames front office and everything we discuss is naturally speculative relative to certainty. We're not going to stop talking hockey though?

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows

Really Abbotsford Heat? Really. Nobody has speculated about the inner workings of the team more than you have in this thread. Deal with that.

The day Brian Burke came on board Jay Feaster was a dead man walking and he knew it. Having Burke and Conroy as the speakers at the Jersey Ceremony told a lot.

Burke is an egomaniac and a control freak. Do any of you really think that he was just going to step back and let Feaster keep running the team his way? The fact that the first move he made was sending Baertschi down would suggest that Burke wasn't even comfortable with letting Feaster decide roster moves. I highly doubt that he was able to make trades on his own.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Really Abbotsford Heat? Really. Nobody has speculated about the inner workings of the team more than you have in this thread. Deal with that.

The day Brian Burke came on board Jay Feaster was a dead man walking and he knew it. Having Burke and Conroy as the speakers at the Jersey Ceremony told a lot.

Burke is an egomaniac and a control freak. Do any of you really think that he was just going to step back and let Feaster keep running the team his way? The fact that the first move he made was sending Baertschi down would suggest that Burke wasn't even comfortable with letting Feaster decide roster moves. I highly doubt that he was able to make trades on his own.

Baertschi was sent down immediately after Feaster's firing, so that kind of runs counter to what you're saying. Burke didn't have Baertschi sent down until he had GM powers.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Baertschi was sent down immediately after Feaster's firing, so that kind of runs counter to what you're saying. Burke didn't have Baertschi sent down until he had GM powers.

Could be. I'm looking at it from the other angle(smith).

I think Burke and Feaster got into an argument about Sven. Burke got his way, and Feaster got the door. 100% speculation I know, but seeing that Sven was sent down just hours after Feaster being fired would suggest that Feaster wanted Sven up, while Burke wanted him down.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Well in that case, its just as speculative to suggest Feaster was the mastermind and trigger puller of the trades. For all we know, Weisbros was taking care of the details for all of Feaster's moves, and Feaster was a lazy ass who only approve them. Maybe that's why he was fired?

I think its fair to say nobody here works in the Flames front office and everything we discuss is naturally speculative relative to certainty. We're not going to stop talking hockey though?

Thing is though, Feaster was the GM, so it's more feasible saying that he pulled off the trades than Burke being the mastermind. Besides, Burke even said himself that he wasn't going to act as GM.. Sure, maybe Burke did tell Feaster who to target, but I tip my hat in saying Feaster was the one who put the pieces together.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

I think Burke and Feaster got into an argument about Sven. Burke got his way, and Feaster got the door. 100% speculation I know, but seeing that Sven was sent down just hours after Feaster being fired would suggest that Feaster wanted Sven up, while Burke wanted him down.

I as think Hartley wanted to send Sven down (i.e.: benching Sven multiple times).

May 27, 2012
Earth

tumblr_lwnq9dgzjc1r2uci3o1_500.gif

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Thing is though, Feaster was the GM, so it's more feasible saying that he pulled off the trades than Burke being the mastermind. Besides, Burke even said himself that he wasn't going to act as GM.. Sure, maybe Burke did tell Feaster who to target, but I tip my hat in saying Feaster was the one who put the pieces together.

Maybe you're right. That's certainly a reasonable approach. But Feaster did carry 2-3 AGMs, in addition to needing Burke's approval, so its technically still speculative.

But I'm not like that. I'm not going to call you a liar while I too know jack **** about what Feaster did all day. :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
At the time the Smid trade was made (and I think Noori originally made this point) that deal was about 2 weeks in the works. And to me, that is very telling when our management discussed how the deal went down.

Apparently from what I remember, initial talks between the Flames and Oil started about Smid and then they died down. Then about 2 weeks later they heated up again and a deal was made. This tells me the Flames submitted a best offer. The Oilers then shopped Smid around and did not get a better offer. MacT then went back to Feaster and asked if the offer was still on the table. While it's likely Feaster was instrumental in putting the deal together, to me it's quite obvious Burke told Feaster what the most he was allowed to offer. It's widely considered we got the better of them on that deal, that wasn't a trait common of Feaster until Burke came along. I definitely think he had a hand in at least advising him on where to cap his offer and it's telling by the time it took to go down.

I have no idea and will not speculate if Burke was the one that wanted to target Smid.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

Ah, just like you are privy to how Sutter hand picked players in the first round of the drafts?

You are the pot calling the kettle black. Clearly no point in going any further discussing this with you.

So he put Jay in the passenger seat in order to evaluate his driving?

He had 3 years of Jay's body of work to evaluate. This would seem evident given that Burke said Flames had not gotten enough value in trades, he didn't like past drafts (2013 not withstanding) nor did he like the general makeup of the team. Exactly nothing was about Jay's time from September to December.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
At the time the Smid trade was made (and I think Noori originally made this point) that deal was about 2 weeks in the works. And to me, that is very telling when our management discussed how the deal went down.

Apparently from what I remember, initial talks between the Flames and Oil started about Smid and then they died down. Then about 2 weeks later they heated up again and a deal was made. This tells me the Flames submitted a best offer. The Oilers then shopped Smid around and did not get a better offer. MacT then went back to Feaster and asked if the offer was still on the table. While it's likely Feaster was instrumental in putting the deal together, to me it's quite obvious Burke told Feaster what the most he was allowed to offer. It's widely considered we got the better of them on that deal, that wasn't a trait common of Feaster until Burke came along. I definitely think he had a hand in at least advising him on where to cap his offer and it's telling by the time it took to go down.

I have no idea and will not speculate if Burke was the one that wanted to target Smid.

Patience is a Brian Burke trait, not a Jay Feaster trait (relativity speaking of course!). That said, I think Smid was a pro scouting recommendation. Feaster said their guys had liked him for a while. Smid may have been Michel Goulet's recommendation (Western Pro Scout).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad