This is Jay Feaster's Team

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Out of context??

“With the opportunity to speak with Brian Burke and learn about Joe's hockey sense and character from someone who had him as a player and knows him so well, it became clear to us that this is the type of young, big centre we need."

I just restructured a long winded sentence?

Like I said, it says that it became clear that he was the type of player they needed. That is not the same as saying "after talking to Brian Burke, I had to acquire Joe Colborne." That quote is just another way of selling the newly-acquired player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Some really good debate going on here. It is true though, no matter what you believe it is speculation on either side of the coin.

For my part, Burke was hired because his expertise was going to have a positive impact on the organization. So really the only thing we can debate is the level in which Burke was involved in regarding Feaster's decision making.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=684668

Yes, such wild speculation that Burke told Feaster to go after Colborne. I don't mind backing up my speculation with a few contextual statements.

Face it, you got called on your hypocrisy and went for the "Golly gee, I think Feaster or Button might have mentioned that Sutter picked his own players instead of listening to scouting opinion."

Yeah, I think I'm done here.

I love it.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Like I said, it says that it became clear that he was the type of player they needed. That is not the same as saying "after talking to Brian Burke, I had to acquire Joe Colborne." That quote is just another way of selling the newly-acquired player.

Or the quote is taken literally, and after Feaster spoke with Burke, he needed Colborne. Now we're debating semantics, but I've taken the literal route. Perhaps you have a refuting quote [to support your interpretation]?

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Brian Burke making the Steckel comment was a great move. It took a lot of pressure off of Colborne. BTW, Colborne has out produced Steckels career best in his rookie season!

A completely different approach than the used car salesman schtick that Feaster brought to the table. Really, most of the Feaster comments towards the end reeked of a man very insecure for his job.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Or the quote is taken literally, and after Feaster spoke with Burke, he needed Colborne. Now we're debating semantics, but I've taken the literal route. Perhaps you have a refuting quote [to support your interpretation]?

No, I'm saying that I'm the one taking it literally and not reading anything into it! :laugh:

Saying that someone is "the type of player we need" is just another way of saying "we think he can help our club." I really don't know how else to explain this. It's just a way of saying that Colborne was a good choice for an acquisition.

Realistically, this statement applies to, or at least should apply to, every single player acquired by a GM in any way. Teams acquire players because they need players of their particular type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad