this is going to be so hard.. you can only bring back one to the squad now… (in their prime)… who? and why?

this is going to be so hard.. you can only bring back one to the squad now… (in their prime)… who?

• Brandon Saad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cam Atkinson

• Matty Calvert

• Ryan Johansen

• Joonas Korpisalo

• Ryan Murray

• Alex Wennberg

• Josh Anderson

• Sonny Milano

• Total voters

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
I left panarin off the list because.. obvious reasons lol. easily most talented player we’ve ever had. he would’ve single-handedly ruined the poll haha

Reactions: Play

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Also, I had to check if that sole vote so far for Bjorkstrand was @majormajor because if it was I'd be obliged to permaban him. :sarcasm:
I somehow completely missed the "in their prime" part lol, officially changing my vote to Bob and also acknowledging that there is a debate

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
It IS close!
What do I want? What does this team need?

Does it need leadership? Someone who can show the young guys how to win, how to be a professional? Then give me Dubi or Foligno

Does it need someone who is committed to making Columbus a solid competitive team? How about Jack MF Johnson when he was traded to the Jackets

Does the team need someone who can steal some games? Give me Bob

Does the team need someone who can put the team on his back and drive the whole roster forward? Is that #61?

I dunno- forced to choose? Maybe Dubi or maybe Bob, BUT I'll never forget JMFJ's comments

"After Carter’s antics during his time in Columbus, Johnson was a welcome breath of fresh air. “I am excited by this,” Johnson told the Columbus Dispatch, “to go to a team that wants me and to play in a great sports city.”

They came when we really needed them.

Reactions: thebus88 and EspenK

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It IS close!
What do I want? What does this team need?

Does it need leadership? YES
Someone who can show the young guys how to win, how to be a professional? Then give me Dubi or Foligno

Does it need someone who is committed to making Columbus a solid competitive team? YES How about Jack MF Johnson when he was traded to the Jackets

Does the team need someone who can steal some games? YES Give me Bob

Does the team need someone who can put the team on his back and drive the whole roster forward? YES Is that #61? NO

I dunno- forced to choose? Maybe Dubi or maybe Bob, BUT I'll never forget JMFJ's comments

"After Carter’s antics during his time in Columbus, Johnson was a welcome breath of fresh air. “I am excited by this,” Johnson told the Columbus Dispatch, “to go to a team that wants me and to play in a great sports city.”

They came when we really needed them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Did Rick Nash not play for the Jackets? Not that I would pick him but geez, nobody?

I guess folks just don't think he's what we'd need right now. If this was a "pick a guy for an all-time Jackets team" poll I suspect he'd have more votes.

The choices above are all on the Jackets in 2016, except for Gavrikov who came a couple years later. I presumed we were just choosing among players from the Torts era, not from an all-time list.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
I listened to the Ray and Dregs podcast from last week where they interviewed Nick Foligno, and he really is sorely missed around here. I feel like he'd be of great help to the young guys, and Chicago seems to think the same thing since they're looking to him to help mentor the league-anointed next Chosen One, so he gets my vote.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
who….? why them?
Make it three. Altho the case for Bob is an extremely strong one and if it wasn't Jones for me it'd be him. (Altho I do miss Atkinson and Foligno... ;) )

Also, I had to check if that sole vote so far for Bjorkstrand was @majormajor because if it was I'd be obliged to permaban him. :sarcasm:
I know I missed the "other" selection altogether. Panarin is obviously an extreme talent that would have to be strongly considered
Is the question for the remainder of the season? Or the next 5 years?

Remainder of season: Foligno. Season’s over, get a leader. Set the culture right.

Next 5 seasons (and they’ll be at their prime for all of those five)? Tough, prob Bobrovsky just because I think we’ve got a lot of talent and potential offensively and a lot of potential defensively, but our goaltending situation for the mid- to long-haul concerns me. Could make an argument for Jones, Johansen, Foligno or Dubinsky too (of the names you listed) I think, and probably in that order.
From the older guys, R.J. Umberger would be useful

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I finally decided to answer this. Bobrovsky is an obvious choice if you're looking for "one player who's the quickest way to impact wins and losses." And that's certainly a valid approach.

But I felt like the biggest boost would come from an infusion of personality/culture/leadership. My first thought was Dubinsky, since this current club often comes across (to me, and maybe unfairly but) as passionless. Plus he's a center. However, while I feel he's a take-the-thing-by-the-throat kind of presence, and I'd love to have that, I think what Foligno brings would be even more beneficial.

I don't know whether his "goofy lug" persona plays with the current group, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Club needs a tone-setter on and off the ice. Dubi brings that too, but Nick does it in a more stable, predictable manner.

So Nick Foligno is my vote.

Last edited:

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I finally decided to answer this. Bobrovsky is an obvious choice if you're looking for "one player who's the quickest way to impact wins and losses." And that's certainly a valid approach.

But I felt like the biggest boost would come from an infusion of personality/culture/leadership. My first thought was Dubinsky, since this current club often comes across (to me, and maybe unfairly but) as passionless. Plus he's a center. However, while I feel he's a take-the-thing-by-the-throat kind of presence, and I'd love to have that, I think what Foligno brings would be even more beneficial.

I don't know whether his "goofy lug" persona plays with the current group, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Club needs a tone-setter on and off the ice. Dubi brings that too, but Nick does it in a more stable, predictable manner.

So Nick Foligno is my vote.

I never posted my rationale for voting for Nick. Thanks for doing it for me!

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Well, the question is forcing you to pick only one. You'd go Umberger over Foligno?
Nope. And fair enough, I just wanted to see what people would think if Blue jackets can make some noise with those two in their prime inserted to this roster

Reactions: Monk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad