This is a perfect opportunity for new NHL fans

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
If you are looking for team, you want to support, this is for you.
Im always focused to teams with Slovak players. So if they draft or take some guys from my country, this team has a new supporter. Lets wait and dream, who could it be. :yo:

Hi alko...
I was at the U.S.-Slovakian World Junior game last Wednesday.
Some good players on that Slovak squad.
Tomek in net was fantastic, and the team played hard.
They received a standing ovation from an appreciative crowd when they scored their second goal with less than a minute left in the game.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
New NHL fans --- ORRRRRRRRRR

Fans who are done with their team!!

#Islanders

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hi alko...
I was at the U.S.-Slovakian World Junior game last Wednesday.
Some good players on that Slovak squad.
Tomek in net was fantastic, and the team played hard.
They received a standing ovation from an appreciative crowd when they scored their second goal with less than a minute left in the game.

Standing ovation for second goal? :amazed:
Uf, Slovak hockey has fallen very low. If they receive standing ovation only for this. :)
Yeah, we have good and promising goalies. Also in next classes. Sadly, forwards and defense isnt anymore our strong side.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If they tank, ... most inquiring sports fans will bail...

If they take the St. Louis Blues route, they might not win the cup but they will immediately be competitive and HAVE A CHANCE, and whatever "Vegas" is (no, not the actual municipality of Las Vegas which it isn't in), it's about having a CHANCE!

The Blues went to the Stanley Cup Finals three times early in its history due to to a focus on competitiveness from the onset. No tank. Even trade away top draft picks to get veteran talent. St. Louis remains a well-supported franchise despite never winning the cup.

Anyone who thinks it's wise to focus exclusively on the cup in a new franchise's vision is mistaken, I'd argue. But trying to NOT be a playoff competitive team (the tank mentality) is equally lame imo.

thumb.aspx

Thankfully GM McPhee doesn't know the word "tank".

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Expansion teams usually have a 3-4 year window where they have the attention of fair-weather fans and people who're curious about hockey before people start getting antsy.

The only reason St. Louis were so successful in their first three years is because they were the best in a division entirely comprised of expansion teams, largely on the backs of Vezina winners Glenn Hall and Jaques Plante.

The goal is to be successful and I'm sure if they could choose to make the playoffs over being in the bottom of the league the first few years they would, but expectations should be realistic, most likely Vegas won't make the playoffs until the 3rd-5th season, and that's if everything goes right.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The only reason St. Louis were so successful in their first three years is because they were the best in a division entirely comprised of expansion teams, largely on the backs of Vezina winners Glenn Hall and Jaques Plante.
Plus... Uh,... don't ignore the fact that...

they went to the Stanley Cup Finals three years in a row behind the coaching of Scott Bowman and trading away of top draft picks for quality veterans.

I think the Blues expansion model is more apt for what McPhee will do in Vegas than any other.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Plus... Uh,... don't ignore the fact that...

they went to the Stanley Cup Finals three years in a row behind the coaching of Scott Bowman and trading away of top draft picks for quality veterans.

I think the Blues expansion model is more apt for what McPhee will do in Vegas than any other.

Yep, if you're going to model yourself after a franchise, pick the one that hasn't actually won the Cup in their 50 years of existence. ;)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yep, if you're going to model yourself after a franchise, pick the one that hasn't actually won the Cup in their 50 years of existence. ;)
They went immediately to three Stanley Cup Finals (but ran into a dynasty Habs team) and later made the NHL playoffs for 25 consecutive seasons. They also have above average attendance. That's pretty darn good for an expansion franchise.

Their very first season they picked up 37-year-old HHOFer Dickie Moore, who led them to the Finals in playoff scoring. They also had 35-year-old HHOF goalie Glenn Hall. Plus their top scorer in the regular season was 27-year-old Red Berenson. And they went and got coach Scotty Bowman.

The Blues were geared to be competitive from Day 1 and three trips to the Stanley Cup Finals was an excellent foundation for a solidifying fan base to cheer for (not laugh at).

9be471611382d4ed57ad150ee9f11728.jpg

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad