This is a Blessing in Disguise

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
People said the same thing after the boston loss..

And for the most part after the Boston loss Nonis *did* continue to build for the long term. He insisted on not trading away young players for veterans like Luongo, and allowed our younger players, especially the d-men, to compete for spots on the roster this year.

And then Clarkson happened. WTF, Nonis?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
How is this a blessing in disguise?
You have your core locked up at half your salary cap.
These are your guys. The same guys who can't get it done.
Kessel
Phaneuf
Bozak
Lupul
JVR
Clarkson
6 guys almost 40 million.
Enjoy the core. We now live and die with this group for the next 5 years minimum.

Every single one of those guys aside from Clarkson has trade value and could be moved.

Im not even advocating a full blowup rebuild. But IF we had a GM that wanted to do it, it could happen. Or some of these guys could go in "hockey trades" to get more or less equivalent NHL talent, but of a different variety (ex: trade Lupul for a 2nd pairing dman).

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

he needs to be for the leafs, he would of not given out those bad contracts:laugh:

More like he would have paid a BILLION dollars for Clarkson when he was no better than the guy who already under contract, Bodie. Then he'd raise ticket prices for the next 30 years to pay for it, the largest ticket price increase in the city's history. After all, Scarborough deserves Clarkson.

Oh wait... that sort of is what happened.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
How is this a blessing in disguise?
You have your core locked up at half your salary cap.
These are your guys. The same guys who can't get it done.
Kessel
Phaneuf
Bozak
Lupul
JVR
Clarkson
6 guys almost 40 million.
Enjoy the core. We now live and die with this group for the next 5 years minimum.
This is the sad truth of it all. Nonis should have never signed Clarkson and we should have never re-signed Phaneuf especially at the length. Lupul I still think isn't a bad 2nd line winger still had 3 or 4 good years left. I still like Bozak as a player even though he isn't a first line center.

Management had been absolutely horrid for years now. It's a constant cycle of over spend on players who don't live up to there contract buy them out and repeat the process. There is a reason why players become free agents. Leafs management need to wake up and smell the coffee there is this thing called the salary cap that can hand cuff you quickly when you over pay for other peoples garbage.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Now is the time to mail this team in and wipe the slate clean. Tear the house down to the foundation and start over. Do the buy outs needed and trade what players you can that have value and have a 3 year total rebuild where we do nothing but draft and develop. After 3 years start adding some free agents but be smart on the signings and maybe just maybe this team can be half decent in another 5 years.

This core of players is not going to ever win us a Stanley Cup abort now the ship is sinking. There is no free agents or magical trade pieces out there that will put this team over the hump and even if they were there we don't have the available salary cap space needed to pull it off.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
guys im serious, my heart hurts. this is lame. i dont even drink but i probably should start.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
The only thing the Leafs have succeeded in the last 10 years is failing. Why would this years failure inspire a turn around when none of the previous 9 have?

Politics will always get in the way of how the Maple Leafs are ran - there is no fix.

I can remember something about a couple of hundred Blue Jackets fans showing up to protest the way the team was being ran 2 or 3 years ago. Imagine if a couple hundred thousand Leafs fans flooded the ACC to do the same thing.[/QUOTE]

If someone is actually willing to organize this..I am all in!! When CBJ fans and Islanders fans are doing this..why the hell aren't we leaf fans doing this....we're not any less pasionate then those fans and we have been through far worse for many more years...The ineptness of this organization to put together anything resembling success is disgusting....Seriously sick of the losing culture here and the inability of the management team to start doing whatever is necessary to be better instead of doing half ass rebuilds or not bringing in the right core of players etc. As the most rich team in the NHL...I expect more...and before anyone brings this up...salary cap applies to the players..but not the scouting staff, GM, coach, analysts etc. etc

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
If we are hoping this core group will eventually accomplish something, they need more playoff experience, which it looks like they will miss out on. Hopefully this will be the end of Carlyle though.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
And for the most part after the Boston loss Nonis *did* continue to build for the long term. He insisted on not trading away young players for veterans like Luongo, and allowed our younger players, especially the d-men, to compete for spots on the roster this year.

And then Clarkson happened. WTF, Nonis?

Mikka Kipprusoff?

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
I believe our true core is JVR, Phil, Gardiner, Rielly, Kadri, Bernier. These are actual solid pieces in place. Our roster is littered with players who are overpaid and overused. Our organizational depth is not as great as Burke or Nonis believe. Not even close. We will more then likely get a pick in the 8-12 range, which isn't terrible. Pretty much forces Nonis to not pick a grinder. My ultimate hope would be to have a competent, smart GM making that pick, but we'll see. I believe retooling around those players could benefit us. There are some solid UFA d men like Niskanen, Gilbert, Fayne, who could help. Knowing Nonis he will probably give Brooks Orpik a long term deal.

horner

May 22, 2007
Lets go after McDavid next yr

Leafs just keep doin what ya doin

it will be in the bag

Trade some more players for 2015 pics

and play some of the kids from the Marlies

2015 picks with additional picks from trades

McDavid
Greenway or Marner

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
11-12 - 5th last
10-11 - 9th last
09-10 - 2nd last
08-09 - 7th last
07-08 - 7th last

Looks like this team is more like the club they were for those 5 years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Some good can come of the meltdown, but it's not a blessing in disguise. We have Lupul, Clarkson and Phaneuf locked up to some monster deals and the more the team melts down the less value they have in being dumped. We are handcuffed with these players for 7 years and the more they choke the more toxic these assets will seem.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
other teams have to take our players:laugh:
we have to steal some good players:laugh: any crack smoking GM ,s out there?:nod:

90% sure that Glen Slather still is smoking crack. He still gets discounts considering all the kilos he and Pocklington ordered for the Oilers since the 80's. This was in Sports Illustrated for real. Also mentioned on here a long time ago:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=547416

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad