News Article: 'This core believes we're right there:'

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I hope you're right. I still don't know what to think so I'll just sit back, watch what happens and hope for the best which is of course what I do every year.

Apparently Marner said he wasn't "engaged" for game one of the playoffs, that just makes me go LOL WTF. The 11 million dollar man should be chomping at the bit and waiting for that game ever since losing to Boston, how the hell is it even possible for him to not be "engaged".

From where I sit, that is simply unacceptable. Am I wrong?
worse yet id Dubas saying Marner was worth that contract and will be going forward.

Reactions: MJK

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
We haven't won a playoff series since Paul Martin was PM. This core is not "right there". This rebuild has already been leapfrogged by Colorado and Carolina, enough with the bullshit platitudes and "next year" attitude.
perspective................half of Leaf Nation: "who's Paul Martin..............'

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yep, this team just needs a few tweaks. The core is good. Matthews, Taraves and Marner are going to dominate next year.

Johnsson can go for some grit.
Barrie, Ceci replacements will be upgrades.
Nylander can be traded for a defenceman. He has the easiest contract to move and can go avoid contact somewhere else.
Is Freddy really that much of an upgrade over Campbell?

This team is really not far off from becoming a juggernaut.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - X
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Kapanen
Engval - X - Clifford

Muzzin - X
Rielly - X
Sandin/Dermott - Holl/X
Lilj

X
Campbell
That’s 6 Xs.
Is Sam Pollack coming back to help out?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
It's scary after Freddy's up its Hyman and Reilly, they better not wait to long or we can't afford to resign anyone
Freddy I think there's no way they resign for what he'll want. As I suggested, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a Talbot or someone of that caliber to be a 1-2 tandem with Campbell and save the money. Freddy won't be worth the coin he's looking for. I'd unload him for some draft picks this offseason if it were my call

Reactions: LeafsRus

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Moral of the story is don't count your chickens before they've hatched.
It is impossible to just ignore financial projections. Market value and historical comparables are based on a rising cap, and future projections are always considered in negotiations for every GM and agent ever.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I hope you're right. I still don't know what to think so I'll just sit back, watch what happens and hope for the best which is of course what I do every year.

Apparently Marner said he wasn't "engaged" for game one of the playoffs, that just makes me go LOL WTF. The 11 million dollar man should be chomping at the bit and waiting for that game ever since losing to Boston, how the hell is it even possible for him to not be "engaged".

From where I sit, that is simply unacceptable. Am I wrong?

Then you look at Marner's much less wealthy peer in Pastrnak and he was a freaking ball of energy straight out of the gate today, showed up everywhere including the scoreboard.

If he showed up to game 1 like Marner did Chara and co. would have torn him a new one.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It is impossible to just ignore financial projections. Market value and historical comparables are based on a rising cap, and future projections are always considered in negotiations for every GM and agent ever.

In the real world, people have been speculating for years about the end of the bull market which ended at the start of the Covid pandemic, so the endless growth model of the cap was always a risk. Not sure how dialed into real world economics pro sports front offices necessarily are, but it's just another example of why it doesn't always make sense to be loose with your cash.

Reactions: LeafsRus

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
In the real world, people have been speculating for years about the end of the bull market which ended at the start of the Covid pandemic, so the endless growth model of the cap was always a risk. Not sure how dialed into real world economics pro sports front offices necessarily are, but it's just another example of why it doesn't always make sense to be loose with your cash.
thank you, you apparently get my point.

Reactions: Cobra777

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think they are far away at all.

3 players

muzzin
muzzin
hyman

I'm kind of curious if next season is severely impacted by the pandemic, will some teams ask for relief from the salary floor, and by extension, will the cap ceiling be lifted so the guaranteed contracts around the league can be absorbed by teams that can pay for it?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Dubas made the fatal assumption that the salary cap is always going to go up and signed deals that only made sense within that framework. Now that the cap is going to be stuck for at least the next few years they need to rebuild in some fashion. They either have to dismantle the core, or figure out a way to win with that core with Jack Campbell as their starting goalie and Jake Muzzin as their #1D.

Dubas the dumbass. Couldn't even foresee a global pandemic.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dubas the dumbass. Couldn't even foresee a global pandemic.

Well, not really. Not blaming Dubas for the current state of things from a global economic stand point, but a lot of people have been speculating about an oncoming global recession even before the pandemic hit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
yeah don't need 1st pairing defenders or 1st line players.

need reliable defenders and a forward who can bring a bit of everything.

If the Leafs went out and got the equivalent of a Gavrikov and Edmundson, then brought in Zach Bogosian on a veteran league minimum deal to fight for a 7th defense job, and auditioned Mikko Lehtonen, Rasmus Sandin and Timothy Liljegren, that would probably already be a very decent renovation of the blueline.

Reactions: Cobra777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad