Speculation: This 20-21 Penguins team misses the playoffs... UPDATE - WRONG

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah our top 6 with Kessel and Hornqvist was better. More high end skill and more down n dirty.

Our current top 6 is uh...faster.

They’re both good and if people think they are the best we’ve had that’s fine but it’s a real fine line and not sure the make up of parts of the rest of the team are good enough.

The bottom 6 is off. It’s not far away but it doesn’t seem like JR wants to do anything about it and we need better results than the last 2 seasons.

Then there’s the D. It’s either the top 4 is really good and the bottom pair sucks or a lot more pressure gets put on Marino and Pettersson if they are split.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
And the bottom six is as bad as it’s been since 2014-15 when they made the playoffs in the very last game.

It's kinda funny that you and I stand with opposing viewpoints. Im positive and optimistic about the Penguins this year and I'm fine with JR and Sullivan. Not really feeling it with the Steelers (you already read my view points in the other thread). Yet you are completely opposite to that view. Thought I'd point it out.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
It's kinda funny that you and I stand with opposing viewpoints. Im positive and optimistic about the Penguins this year and I'm fine with JR and Sullivan. Not really feeling it with the Steelers (you already read my view points in the other thread). Yet you are completely opposite to that view. Thought I'd point it out.

Gonna change my name to Starvamania to really be the yin to your yang

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You must have pretty high standards then..........

Hags broke his leg in 2016/17 but still was going at a 30 point pace and his advanced stats with Malkin were pretty awesome (much better than Geno away from him).
Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick
Carl Hagelin - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

Hornqvist had 44 points in 70 games, that’s a 52 point pace. Great advanced stats too
Patric Hornqvist - Summary - Natural Stat Trick

And they both especially Hagelin were pretty meh in the playoffs.

We essentially downgraded our top six to add Hagelin and Hornqvist who had been third liners in the playoffs.

This year we have Zucker who is much more proven then Jake was heading into 17-18. And Kapanen is a young 40 pt guy instead of a 30 pt guy like Hags who disappears half the time.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
And they both especially Hagelin were pretty meh in the playoffs.

We essentially downgraded our top six to add Hagelin and Hornqvist who had been third liners in the playoffs.

This year we have Zucker who is much more proven then Jake was heading into 17-18. And Kapanen is a young 40 pt guy instead of a 30 pt guy like Hags who disappears half the time.

CONTEXT
Hagelin again had a broken leg that he was still playing through in playoffs. Hornqvist a broken hand in the last 2 rounds who still had 9 points in 19 games including the one that cliched the cup.

I’m not trying to diminish what we have now for a top 6. It’s very good, although we don’t know how Kapanen will go and we are assuming lines, Sheary is still out there ;)

In terms of Hagelin disappearing. Sure his production is pretty average for a guy in a top 6 role but and it’s a big but (I cannot lie :laugh:), he made Malkin better over his time here and the better Malkin is the less Ron has to complain about him (probably not :laugh:)

A GF% of 62.26% and a xGF% of 57.74% over a 3 year period is freaking great (Malkin 50 & 52 without)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
CONTEXT
Hagelin again had a broken leg that he was still playing through in playoffs. Hornqvist a broken hand in the last 2 rounds who still had 9 points in 19 games including the one that cliched the cup.

I’m not trying to diminish what we have now for a top 6. It’s very good, although we don’t know how Kapanen will go and we are assuming lines, Sheary is still out there ;)

In terms of Hagelin disappearing. Sure his production is pretty average for a guy in a top 6 role but and it’s a big but (I cannot lie :laugh:), he made Malkin better over his time here and the better Malkin is the less Ron has to complain about him (probably not :laugh:)

A GF% of 62.26% and a xGF% of 57.74% over a 3 year period is freaking great (Malkin 50 & 52 without)

I mean, I get it Hagelin and Malkin were analytically fancy, but it contributed to shit when it really matter.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I mean, I get it Hagelin and Malkin were analytically fancy, but it contributed to shit when it really matter.

They actually didn’t really play too much together in the playoffs and a majority of the time one of them was playing with a significant injury.

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
CONTEXT

I miss Hagelin.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This thread will be fun later. I think this team is fine. The issue is the unknowns. I'm coming around to the blueline. I think they could use one more forward. If they could add Haula that would be great.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My hope for this season is that JR doesn't trade the 2022 first. I don't think the wheels fall of this year, but they will soon and I don't want to miss out on the inevitable top 5 pick that results.

I think that is inevitable. They won't realize the wheel are off until the car is throwing sparks down the highway.

Reactions: Sideline

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
It is inevitable but not yet. The desent to the cellar will happen in a couple of years and then we'll stay there for a few years. The mid 20s will almost be as dark as the mid 2000s.
We have the worst prospect pool in the league and it will not be getting any better soon and once Malkin and Letang are finished in a couple of years it will be hell.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
How “stacked” this top 6 is depends on if it gets pre-injury level play from Guentzel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad